Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Hey Y'all I Did 5

I had my swim lesson yesterday, and it went pretty well. First, she wanted to see me swim, and we took it from there. She said, I am not too bad just need some techniques down. We did a few laps, and I drank a few gallons of pool water. It felt so much better swimming correctly than this doggie paddle thing I had going on that was killing my back. The instructor, I think her name is Michelle, I was so nervous that I could have it wrong. Well, Michelle said we are going to work on breathing, form, and on my last class we are going to do an open water swim. I am back in the pool tomorrow, so we'll see if I can retain what I learned.


Today, I did 5 miles. It went pretty well overall. I am still working on this mental blocking that goes on while I am running. Sometimes, I just try to talk myself out of a run, and I need to get over that crap. It was in the 40's and sunny. I wore shorts and a long sleeve tech shirt. It was funny to wear shorts, since I NEVER EVER do. I just knew they looked more comfortable and easy to move in, so I went for it. I like this confidence that running has given me. I feel powerful when I run, not much else gives me that sense of strength, and confidence. It was around mile 3 I felt like giving up at a light, and a lady on her bike was waiting at the light with me. She said, "you are so brave for being out here running in this cold...you are doing so well, good for you." That bike lady gave me the cheer to go 2 more miles without the mental complaining. Thanks bike lady, you rock! My splits are all over the place, but as long as Garmin LT made it to 5 miles, I was pleased.


The other night "Urban Cowboy" was on, I love that movie. I know how cliche a chick from Texas that loves that movie. Well, I was raised in Miami so it is fairly odd. It always shocks the hell out of the hubby on how much I love that movie. I thought I would share one of my fav lines from the movie. I laugh everytime at this scene.


Bud(John Travolta): Let's get outta here.


Girl he meets at the bar: Let me tell my friends I'm leaving.


Girl to friends: Later y'all I found myself a cowboy.


Yesterday's Workout:
Morning/ spin class, 15 minute swim
Evening/28 minute cycle endurance ride, full body strength training
Today's Run: 5 miles (12:32)
Mile 1 (12:21)
Mile 2 (12:37)
Mile 3 (13:02) /bike lady light meeting
Mile 4 (12:30)
Mile 5 (12:06)
Random thought of the day: Trying on wet suits should count as a workout.

9 comments:

Carly said...

Nice job on the run today Viv! You are a working out machine. I am so inspired by all you do.

Razz said...

That's awesome that you got motivation out on the road. I run pretty early, so the rabbits and stray dogs cheer me on!

Nancy said...

OH Bless you, Bike Lady for giving our Viv just what she needed. Way to go!! I need to remember the confidence it gives me too. I'm so glad you are finding that!!

J~Mom said...

5 miles at any pace is awesome!! Fantastic! Feel free to email me anytime if you have questions about the tri. I am not very qualified to answer though, other then having done one. My brain is your to pick! :>)

Timmy said...

Being out there in the cold cheering for us 1/2 marathoners and marathoners was paid back today by Bike Lady. Many times it's the encouragement of friends, family and strangers that gives me the jolt to keep going.

About Urban Cowboy...is that the same chick that has a saddle at the foot of her bed?

Delane said...

i loves me some John Travolta...

oh and I still think you should run the 1/2 in Rockford. You know I'm not going to stop until May :-)

Marcy said...

I was the same way! I rarely ever wore shorts after I had my first kid (cellulite, stretch marks, you know the deal LOL) Then I started running and voila! Problem solved! I don't care anymore :P

P.O.M. said...

What a nice bike lady.

Tammy said...

Great job Viv! And thanks to bike lady!

Oh, and you're making me jealous with the shorts... it's SNOWING here!!