Monday, January 21, 2008

A Few Firsts

I did my first longest run on Saturday, 6 miles, and it felt pretty good. I have no stats except that it took me 1 hour and 15 minutes. I forgot my LT so I had to ghetto Garmin it with the car. It was flippin cold out there, well cold for Houston. The cold was not as difficult as as the wind. That cold air would get in my lungs, and I would cough like a veteran smoker. I had my first GU, chocolate mint. I only had half since it is 2 points for that sucker. OMG guys, I seriously thought I was going to puke. It was not the taste as much as that gooey feeling in my mouth... I just laughed out loud when I typed that. I may have to find something else to use on those long runs, but I bought a six pack of em so I will stick with it. I ran 3 today on the treadmill, and I am feeling a little discomfort around the shin area on both legs. Could it be from the long run on Saturday???
The scale moved finally, and in the right direction!
My sister's boyfriend, Greg is something else. I was telling him about my long run while we were watching the game yesterday. To which, he responds he could do 6 with no training. I disagree, he jumps of the couch, streches and sets out to prove me wrong. I will post about that tomorrow. We took video of the event. He really does not exercise regularly, and states he is a natural athlete... Man, did I bust his balls about that statement. So what do you guys think, could he do it?
Could Greg run 6 miles?

Yes

53%

No

47%

9 comments:

Diario de Elysia said...

Sorry Viv, even though he sounds like an arrogant azz_hat, I bet he did it. :/

I really need to try those gels and beans. I wait til the end and eat a banana.

And I really want one of those water belt thingees.

But you are rockin' those runs. Keep it up!

Pokey said...

You'll learn to love the Gu....just give it some time. I love the Espresso one the best, but also just discovered Lemon Lime. What kind did you try?

I think many people think that running a distance like that is much easier than it is. I dont know much about your friend, but very few people I know could just run out and knock down 6 miles just like that.

Maybe I just hang out with a bunch of lazies though! :P

Keep up the runs....youre doing great!

Marcy said...

Thanks for the heads up on the Chocolate Mint Gu. I usually stick to the fruit flavors LOL.

I voted no BUT I think he probably could do it if went really slow and shuffled LOL I can't wait to see this vid HAHAHAHAA

Nancy said...

Hey Viv, keep experimenting on the GU, some flavors just do not work!! Also, try some Sports Beans -- they are basically jelly beans. I really like those for something different. My little guys come to races and hold a dixie cup for mom with a couple beans in it!

Every long run the first time is so cool, just get the mileage in and you will keep suprising yourself. Some days felt great, some I thought I was going to die. But I did it, you can so do it. I posted a big fancy number everytime I hit a new length. I remember how exciting it was. Have fun with it. You can totally do it!!!!

Melissa said...

Haha...I'm the gf of the arrogant Greg and he's not THAT bad although he really does think he can do everything he sees on tv (but not as much of a jerk as he seems). I can't say whether it's a yay or nay on the run because I was in the Rabbit along for the ride...

Margo said...

Don't forget to take the Gu with water otherwise it could lead to stomach issues. Definitely experiment with different flavors and other things, like the beans. I'm not coordinated enough to eat the beans and keep moving so I stick to the blocks (black cherry is great!) or Gus.

Carly said...

Gu makes me gag...it does get better though. *shudder*

Jess said...

I bet he did it, and voted so on your poll. Of course, what we mean by "did he get it done" is questionable. Anyone can pop off the couch and get to the six mile marker, how long, by what means, and how he felt afterward are all the key things to consider here.

Delane said...

I think gu is gross. WTG on the 6 miles.

I like the beans btw and quench gum.