Yesterday, what a miserable 5 miles. I think I complained in my head repeatedly, and I may have cussed out loud like a crazy bag lady for the first 4 miles. I kept debating just walking back to the car. I called myself all kind of things when that thought would cross my mind. It was cold, well freezing for me 44 degrees, and raining. My splits showed my suffering, but alas I did it. I think that last mile came from hurrying to get back to the car. Please remind me how Confucius says these runs make us stronger.
Wensday's Run: Avg Pace (12:45)
Mile 1 (13:00)
Mile 2 (12:07)
Mile 3 (12:56)
Mile 4 (13:48)
Mile 5 (11:53)
Today's Workout:
spin class, endurance cycle 42 minute, 23 minute swim,
full body st, and a partridge in a pear tree.
On a much more pleasant note, I was asked by Amy to share some basics of running that I have learned for 'Take It & Run It Thursday". If you have never stoped by The Runners Lounge go check it out! I still am a total newbie with running, but have learned one thing. Listen to your body when it is trying to tell you something. I ignored my body, and kept going so I decided to re post the entry I wrote when I was sidelined for 7 weeks.
Nov 2007
Calf sprain with a good ol' fashioned stress fracture. That is my diagnosis. I know it is partly my fault when my leg was really bothering me the whole month of October, I continued to push it. I would just cut my running down to two to three times a week and increase the cross training. I would ice it, massage it, and stretch it. I felt like I was just getting this running thing right where I wanted it. So, I would pop Ibuprofen before I would go out for a run, after, and all times in between. Rita, will tell you that when she gave me 800mg Ibu pills it was like crack, I got all tingly on the inside. I just had to have it, where is the milk so I can pop this bad boy and have some relief. Nobody believes me, but becoming this Ibuprofen connoisseur of sorts I will let you in on my hypothesis. The 800mg Ibu dissolves in one big boom, not the same as four 200mg tablets.
A couple of weeks ago I came to the realization that running should not be all this pill popping, Ben Gay, elevation, ice, rinse & repeat ordeal. There has to be good days with a few rough ones, but all of mine got rougher and intolerable. I had this conversation with my gimp leg, please just hold out till the 5 miler on Thanksgiving, and I will take a solid month off let you regroup, and than we can start training for the Cleveland 1/2 in May. Deal?? No deal!! On the weekend of RWTS 5K and Tour de Donut, my leg let me know who is running this show.
So, here I am now with this knee high sexy boot, oh and the ever so hawt crutches that just remind me how uncoordinated I truly am. I spent all last week sitting around with my leg up, and coordinated just enough to make it to the fridge, and pantry several times a day.
__________________________________________________________________
I am now back to running, and sure I have a bad day like yesterday ugh, but it is not every run. I feel like I have new legs, and running is way more enjoyable. I listen to body before my runs, during my run, and after. I do not block it's screams to me with pills.

9 comments:
Hey Viv! We're still looking in the Woodlands, so we might end up as neighbors. :-) As for the movie, I used a website called onetruemedia.com. I had trouble downloading my own video segments, so any video you see on my finish products came from metacafe and was recorded by someone else.
Great post. I too have a tendency to try to tough it out and run injured. But I have to remind myself that if I really hurt myself, then I won't be able to run at all.
ITA with you!! Sometimes we're just to stubborn to take breaks and it just makes things worse.
As far as the RTOTD goes . . 7pm is a great bedtime for the kiddies. The only downside? They get up at the crack of dawn LOL We're on the 7pm bedtime as we speak.
I have totally had those *curse like a bag lady* runs before - I say kudos for making it through....but you do also have to listen to your body. I've learned that when it is screaming at you tot stop - sometimes it's best to listen ;)
Thank you for posting this. I was debating going out for a run today, even though my hamstring is bothering me. Today I will take your advice and listen to my body.
Learning the hard way. A great lesson to share.
Thanks for stopping by my site. Enjoyed your comment about SNL
: )
I'm glad somebody is running this week. I have oodles of things going on and have only run once and lifted weights once. I need to pull out my SLACKER t-shirt.
Sometimes a run sucks. But you got it done, and that's what counts, yo!
Ugh, that sounds way too cold for me! It's awesome that you did it though!
I totally want to run with Jerry! I was thinking that if I could be in HIS group I would be all over that! What a nice guy and totally funny! I loved it when he was talking about his daughter being late.
Post a Comment