Monday, November 10, 2008

Ugh, My Guilty Conscious Is Eating Me Up Right Now

CLICK HERE FOR: Marathon Season Independence Weight Loss Challenge Finale!!

I made an executive decision to take a rest day today. I was supposed to rest yesterday, but had a SPIN class to work in the morning. On the schedule today I had an easy 4 miler, which would have been suhaweet! 4 miles, and easy = bonus! I mean that just sounds non-threatening. I hate giving up running days since it is one area I am aiming to improve at this time. Then I begin to think, my body is telling me… you are tired….if you don’t rest today then you will have several more days without rest…you want to race 10 for TX Saturday…Then before you know it you are back in that exhaustion conundrum.

My house looks like hell over. We had contractors here over the weekend working on Ike damage. So, there is about 3 inches of wood dust everywhere. I told my friend Kari last night(while we went to see Kathy Griffin, she is a trip) I am feeling tired, and mentioned I should take tomorrow as a rest day. She said, "you should but don’t start cleaning like a mad woman really rest." Here I am looking around my house feeling vomitous thinking, get your lazy ass up Viv and get to cleaning.

I can’t help thinking like that. I come from this little mad crazy Cuban woman who can’t sit still if you tied her to a chair. I think it is just the Cuban blood that boils through me. I will never forget my freshman year in high school. I would come home and pass out on the couch. I started developing huge bruises all over my body. My Mom would look at me and get infuriated. She accused me of being on drugs and somehow the bruises were from a pimp because yes in her mind I was this much of a juvenile delinquent. I would look at her and roll my eyes, since it was my specialty. Then I would be in there cleaning the kitchen. My Mom would say I am taking you to the Dr. and getting you tested for drugs and to the OB/GYN to see if you are still a virgin (I did say mad crazy little Cuban woman). I would do my token eye roll and say, “I wish you would, so I can rub it in your face that I am not doing what you think I am.”

Well, she did take me to the Dr. and I was admitted that afternoon in the hospital. At first they thought I had leukemia. They did a bone marrow, which ruled it out. Luckily, it was a very manageable autoimmune deficiency disease called, ITP. After, a couple years of treatment with steroids it would return, the only treatment trick left in the Dr.’s pocket was to remove my spleen. It worked and I am healthy today. I just have to take extra caution since I am immune deficient without a spleen. You want to talk about her feeling terrible for a while. Let’s just say I still keep that ITP card in my little bag of tricks for Mom/Daughter battles defense mechanism. (just kidding) I love that little mad crazy Cuban woman too much.

Long story short, umm OK too late. Taking this unscheduled rest day is just killing me smalls!

Sunday's Workout:
1 hr. SPIN Class
Monday's Workout:
REST

25 comments:

X-Country2 said...

Yeah, take care of yourself for sure. A rest today is a good investment for the coming days.

PS- I'm SO jealous you got to see Kathy Griffin!

Aron said...

rest days are a GOOD thing!!! just close your eyes and dont look around at the mess :)

Mistyfied said...

I say rest. Have fun with 10 for Texas. I know you will kick butt. Maybe I will see you at the track Tuesday.

Unknown said...

Girl, when you got to rest, you got to rest!

Jess said...

Nice Sandlot reference.

I'm jealous you got to see KG. She was here in SoFlo not too long ago but I missed her. I love her Bravo show (of course, what's on Bravo that I don't love?)!

Anyway, yes, glad you rested today (or hope you followed through on promising to rest). My little mom is not Cuban (we are the blandest of the bland Brits), but she too can't sit still unless tied to a chair, and I am just like you: My house has to be clean!

P.O.M. said...

Ha. You KNOW you totally use that card against the mom when needed. I have a few in my back pocket to throw at her when she's got me back in some corner. ha ha.

Sarah said...

You can take a day off - you deserve it - and obviously should! And I think I like your mom, even if she sounds nutty!

Anonymous said...

You do need time to rest and let your body relax.

My sister had ITP, it is crazy! Glad you are doing ok now.

Marcy said...

OMFG VIV! You crack me the hell on up! (Not the ITP) but your relationship with Moms. Yo, those gems your Mom would say is TOTALLY something my Mom would say. (Must be an ethnic thing? LOL)

You saw Kathy? Awwhhhh man I lurve me soem Kathy. The woman is a riot! So lucky!

Take care of yourself, ya heard? ;-)

Shannon said...

Take it easy Viv, but I bet you'll run tomorrow!

BTW, Cheese puffs are the "devils spawn." :)

Run For Life said...

I get antsy on days off too. Your mom sounds like a trip!

Kevin said...

It is good that you are listening to your body. Rest is so important especially during the (tri) offseason.

Nicole said...

I'm sorry i never commented on a post! I thought you knew i had a blog! HAHA. I'm glad you found me now.. it is nice to put a face with an email! :) Thanks for all your support!

Anonymous said...

SO did you make it through the day without cleaning? You'd better or I will sick a serious case of FFH along with Nancy Grace at you. ;)

Nat said...

Ain't nothing wrong with a rest day! Enjoy.

Erin Leigh said...

I think we are wired very similarly. I try to sit and relax and it just doesn't work. It takes me to be utterly exhausted to stop doing whatever it is that I am doing.

N.D. said...

Oh wow - that's scary! Glad you are good at this time! Rest is good. Harder said than done for us active people!!

Aka Alice said...

Replace "little, mad, crazy, Cuban woman" with little, mad, crazy, Italian woman" and you've described my mom to a T.

Lucky for me I have no inclination to clean. I get the guilts, but no drive to clean (sigh).

Hey, sorry I bailed on the weight loss challenge. I'd have lost big time (no pun intended).

ShirleyPerly said...

Oh my, no spleen! Well, you must definitely take better care of yourself than the rest of us nuts who overdo things until we can do no more. Seriously, good for you to take a break.

Thanks for the comment on my PR post :-)

C said...

Dude, rest up! So what if the house is a pit. Console yourself by knowing that someone else's house is much worse off. It's no longer about keeping up with the Joneses but being one step above the hillbillies in the trailer park down the road. :)

Tammy said...

Wow, Viv. Definitely enjoy that rest day! I have the same problem, though. I can't truly rest in a messy house.

I love Kathy Griffin! You are so lucky!

Yasmin said...

Um, you may need to rest more with that little bit of news.

Also, I have a hard time sitting around, doing nothing. I feel guilty about it, too.

My mom is Mexican... Maybe it's the Latina blood?

Pat said...

I never have trouble not doing housework during a rest day. Must be a guy thing.

Rest days are very important if you want to spend time with Mr. 10 or even Mr. 9.

Good luck on your upcoming race and thanks again for the wieght loss challenge. I'm pretending it's still on.

TX Runner Mom said...

Take care of you chica! Although I can totally relate...I can't sit still if my house is a mess. And with the 2 kiddos and my husband, it's always a mess!

J~Mom said...

I hate having to make decisions like that! I am like you in that it eats me up! Take care of yourself!!