Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Confidence Is Born In Kona

Zoot Sports tagline is that, "Zoot is born in Kona". You see those shoes I am wearing, the Zoot Ultra Race shoe. To the mere mortal they are just some funky aquamarine tennis shoe. To me they say, yea I am a f*c*#*g triathlete! I got them for my birthday and it took two Lukes Locker giftcards in addition to money from my pocket. I have worn them walking around twice to break them in a little, but have yet to run in them. They are light, very light. It is almost shocking when you pick them up, kinda like when Chili's changed from glass mugs to plastic mugs and you almost flung the glasstic(plastic meant to appear like glass) backwards from your hand (this is what I hear). They have don't have that support feeling I get from my Asics Fortitude . The Zoot Ultra Race shoes I have categorized as my sprint triathlon shoe, or track shoes. What they do have is; drain holes to let water out; they are 8 ounces light; and have built in sock lining so no socks required. OK that is enough swinging on Zoot's nuts. I don't see them hitting me up to sponsor me, a slow fat triathlete anytime soon. (Hello, have you seen the sizing on their women's tri clothes...I finally got in their XL).

Well, I did my track workout with the shoes today on the treadmill. Due to scheduling conflicts, I can't make it to track tonight so was stuck out doing it at the gym mid morning with all the other desperate housewives. The minute I stepped on the treadmill I felt a beautiful connection with the shoes. They filled my mind with all kind of confidence. I could almost hear the words from my mind aloud, you want to be fast, then be fast. I know it was a controlled treadmill environment(even though someone needs to control the air up in that gym. It was hot), yet I found some of my best 400 splits eva!

Coach, I know we exchanged e-mails about sometimes running needs not be about pace. You said, there are times to work on pace. I am pretty sure track workouts qualify as the time to worry about pace :-) So, I let the confidence from my shoes run the show.

The Garmin data last record of running 400's was back on 09/02/08. The avg pace for the 400's (2:32).


Tuesday's Workout:
Mile 1 W/U 12:03
Mile 2 W/U 11:18
400 1:58
400 1:56
400 1:57
400 1:55
400 1:56
400 1:53
Mile 4.5 C/D 12:58

31 comments:

C said...

Spiffy shoes! Me like.

Wes said...

Yeeeeus... When I wear my Zoots, I want to FLY. You have NO idea the mental flips I had to do to convince myself to NOT wear them for Ironman. I wore my Mizunos instead, since I had no idea what effect 26.2 miles of Zoots would have on my feet. Good news is, I enjoyed the hell out of them in my sprints and Olympics I did this year.

Enjoy those shoes!!! Sub-10 baby!!!!

Shannon said...

You should get a sponsor any minute in your email box...got check now!

Hey baby your gastrocnemius looks hotttt in those kicks. :)

teacherwoman said...

Liken the shoes. :)

Wonderful job on 400's! You rocked 'em!

ShirleyPerly said...

Cool! I have been wondering about those Zoot shoes. Someone told me that one of their key features for triathletes is that they were designed so that you don't need to wear socks with them. Would you go sockless in them? Does that back part against the Achilles tendon rub? (They look higher than normal running shoes in the photo to me)

Aron said...

those are some fun looking shoes!!!

Jess said...

I love the Chilli's glasstic analogy!

But holy cats, look at your calf! Totally buff!

chia said...

OOOOH MI AMORE!

I needs me a rockin' pair!

Marcy said...

No socks?! You have my attention. Now I must find out more about them . . . .

Nat said...

Wicked cool shoes...
Sometimes it's about pace.

Tammy said...

Great shoes!
Great pace!

triguyjt said...

only showing us a little of your legs....haha....tease

shoes look cool and if you feel fast in them...then..mission accomplished

Jarrett said...

Those are some bitchin' shoes.

j. said...

Gotta love new shoes:)

Yasmin said...

I want those shoes. I want my feet/legs to feel great in them!

Also, check out those calves. You are soooo sexy!

Mendy said...

Those are some perty lookin' shoes! Sweet. That's so cool that a pair of shoes or shorts, or whatnot can instill some confidence in us. I think it's awesome!

Nice, fast 400s!!!!

Badgergirl said...

Pretty shoes!

Run For Life said...

Niiice. Those shoes are so sweet they kind of make me want to do a tri to get a pair, haha.

J~Mom said...

Sweet molly those are great looking shoes!! *DROOL!*

Carly said...

LMAO at the Chili's comment. I like the shoes. Viv, has some hot legs too! : )

Anonymous said...

I like the shoes. They sound very high tech. Glad you are feeling them. You wear them well.

Mistyfied said...

Nice lookig shoes.. nice calf muscels!!

Al's CL Reviews said...

I thought this post was going to be about Kona Beer.

Runner Susan said...

Love the shoes, and great job on those 400 splits!

CoachLiz said...

Let us know how they do. I have friends who were fired up about them when they got them and now they are their least favorite pair. Does the high back rub and cause irritation on the achilles and can you feel more lower leg fatigue due to less support? These shoes will probably need to be changed out quicker than your stability shoes because they will break down faster.

Unknown said...

I was mostly looking at your calf muscle than your shoes. Sorry about that. You got nice leg. Anyhow, those kicks are KILLERS !!!! Never heard of it but must be damn good.

Unknown said...

Nice!

There's a song by Paulo Nutini that always makes me think of new running shoes...and your post made me think of that song.

"Hey, I put some new shoes on,
And suddenly everything is right..."

timeformetofly said...

Let me just say WOO-HOO check out that leg with the awesome muscles... seriously! And I never knew that such shoes existed. My eyes were starting to glaze over in a dreamy manner when you got to the sock liners part.

Also, WTG on your 400 pace improvement!

RunBubbaRun said...

I have looking at those shoes as well. Wondering how they would actually feel to run on.

They say attitude is everything, so maybe if they make you feel fast, maybe worth it. Let us know how they feel with more miles on them.

N.D. said...

Love the shoes, and your calves are ripped!!!

sRod said...

Wow. Do those shoes come with rocket engines?