Sunday, November 16, 2008

Ten For Texas Race Report

It was so nice to race so close to home...I train the race course. I got to sleep in a little. I got to sleep in my own bed, not that I try to sleep in others peoples bed before a race but you know what I mean.

I left the house at about 6:30ish with my coffee in hand. I just had a good feeling about today. I even drove through the Oak Ridge speed trap driving the speed limit. The cop pointed his laser gun at me. I gave him a sup nod with a toast of my coffee mug while double checking, yep I was under the speed limit. He probably thought what in the world is that happy wanderer so happy about. I was happy, I was running a race today and my tri stress factor was obsolete. It is nice to go to a running race. No bunch o' packing of gear. No worries, no bike to carry, air pump, helmet, bike shoes, race belt, goggles, swim cap, filling up the aero bottle, socks, flip flops, little towel to throw down for your gear on, remembering where you are in transition, count the racks from swim in/run out, setting up transition, racking up the bike....The list can go on and on. Not that I hate it because the accomplishment I feel at the finish line makes up for it tenfold, but there is just quite the checklist you have before a triathlon versus a running event. This morning was, Garmin, check, Fuel Belt/nutrition, check, I'm' outta here, check.
This was the third year of this race in The Woodlands. Year one, I didn't even care about it. Year two, I cared about it but I was just barely running my first 5K that day. Year three, I was racing it. I say racing it because I refused to fall into my 12 minute man again.

Thanks to my, Coach K who gently asked, "Why aren't you doing 10 for Texas? " After talking with my tri sis, she said, "Girl, you just need to suck it up and run. Your paces from track show you have it in you. There is no reason to still be at 12."

Sometimes, you know 'things' in your mind. Sometimes you tell yourself, to challenge the 'things' in your mind. Sometimes, you need someone to put 'things' right in front of you and challenge it for you.

Can I just say besides the beautiful well supported course, the port a potty facilities were top of the line. They were so nice people were taking forever probably doing their duty while reading the paper.

I went with a, " just run plan". Probably not the wisest thing to do, but I had to get over this fear I have of kicking it up a notch on long runs. I have gotten into this mind set on the long runs to run easy really easy. Well guess what body, running should not be that easy sometimes. I should feel like I am running sometimes....The "just run plan" mainly consisted of listening to the body, RPE wise. I knew if I did the chest strap HRM I would be staring at my Garmin the whole time and most likely trip over an acorn. I kept it mostly about a 7, a very hard effort. I figured just keep going and run till you see Coach Bill at mile 8 aid station get a little, "Go, Viv" action and your golden for two more miles.

The "just run plan" worked well pace wise in the end. I got my 11ish for a 10 mile run. I felt great! I got to see a few of my Strive teammates after the race. It is always nice to see friendly faces you train with at the end of a race. I had to run off to Lil' Buster's football game, and work the concession stand. It was a long morning, and stretching properly took a back seat. I had planned on an ice bath, but by the time I got home that window was kinda closed. I woke up this morning with my legs extremely sore. Luckily, I always have a plan and had a 2PM massage scheduled. Just what I needed.

I am going to put my balls to the wall and go ahead with an official statement for the Aramco Houston Half Marathon. I will be searching for my sub 2:30...




Friday's Workout:
1 mile easy run
1 hr Spin class
coached mostly off bike except W/U & C/D

Saturday's Workout:
10 4 TX
10 miles 1:54.28 (11:27)

Sunday's Workout:
DOR

33 comments:

Jess said...

Great job on the race! I like the t-shirt.

chia said...

Great job and schweet schwags! You are so going to own that half mary!

Unknown said...

Great job!!

Now go make that sub 2:30 half mary happen. :-)

Pat said...

Nice pace. great race. I like the tee too.

N.D. said...

Great job! I like the tee and picture @ the top. YOu held a great pace!!!

Aron said...

awesome job!!! sounds like it was a great race :) i need to find a 10 mile race, that sounds like a fun distance!

X-Country2 said...

Great race! Now go get the next one. :o)

Badgergirl said...

Nice job!

Mel-2nd Chances said...

Congrats on a great race! Now you scared me with the whole getting-ready-for-a-tri though! LOL

timeformetofly said...

Great pace... and what a port-a-potty! Never seen anything like that!

Marcy said...

GREAT JOB MOMMACITA!! Sub 2:30 is yours! You're ready Momma! Whoot!

Yeah I totally hear you on the long runs. I tend to be the same way. Always in fear that I'm going to run out of steam if I don't conserve energy or something. And by the time I'm ready to kick it in gear it's too late LMAO!

Shannon said...

Great job! BTW, when I did the Beach 2 Battleship I thought, "thank goodness I don't have to lug my tri stuff done here this weekend." It was nice to just grab my sport beans, number, & shoes. :)

Did you run with the new kicks?

triguyjt said...

I thought for a second you were gonna flip off the cop with the radar gun...but thats not your style..

you can do a 10 min per mile ten miler....I know it girlfriend....

teacherwoman said...

Nice job on the race! wahoo!

Nicole said...

Awesome job with the race! Your tshirt is cute!

J~Mom said...

2:30 all the way girl!! We can both do it!

Jill said...

Congratulation and YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!! Sub 2:30 - here comes VIV!!

ShirleyPerly said...

Way to go, Viv!!!

I hear ya on how simple preparing to do a running race is vs. a tri. That picture of the restroom cracked me up!

Tammy said...

Congrats on the race, Viv!

Sometimes, I do the same thing- just take it slow and easy then later I realize that I wasn't pushing myself like I should.

audgepodge said...

Congrats on leaving the 12 minute man behind! I like the race goodies, too.

Wes said...

I surprised myself at the Chickamauga 10 miler. It's all about how hard can your run consistently for the distance. You won't know until you try!!! Nicely done, Viv! Go rock that half mary!!!

Sarah said...

Yeah! 1/2 mar. plan! I love it :)

Tiggs said...

way to go Viv!!!!!!

Runner Leana said...

Woo hoo Viv!!!! You ran an 11:27 pace - that's awesome! I am a big fan of the "just run" plan. That seems to be when I have my best races. Love the race goodies you got!

Run Mommy said...

Good job! Found you on a few of my followed. Look forward to reading more (Love the blog title by the way).

Unknown said...

You are awesome !!! Way to go !!! Phenomenal !! Now you can make this happen by doing a sub 2:30. No questions !

Anonymous said...

forget the BALLS :)
how are your planks?

Robin said...

Way to kick ass, Viv!

Evan Guy said...

Hey Viv, great report! Hi, I don't believe we've met (extending hand). I'm Evan (shaking hand), great to meet you!

I don't think you live very far away. I'm off of 1488, west of I-45. Have you ever done the Run The Woodlands 5k? It's coming up again, Saturday morning. For info, copy and paste this into your browser:

http://www.runningintheusa.com/rtw/

I'll see you out running one of these days!

Evan

Nitmos said...

Congratulations on the 11 at the 10. Now go get the 2:30 at the 13.1. You can do it!

Mistyfied said...

Way to go!!

Nat said...

I think I forgot to comment. I love this... hope you give 11 a great big old hug. But did you check out 10? ;)

sRod said...

Great race!

The Chevron half?! You know how to get me excited!