Ever since Obama began using the word "change" you can't say it now without some people thinking you have a political agenda attached with it. So that being said, this is not a political post. You should probably know by now that you don't come to my blog to enrich your political saviness or general knowledge for that matter.I remember from my working days in retail pharmacy the old people hated change, period. They still called the Pharmacist the Druggist. They wanted plain aspirin. When you would try to explain a anti inflammatory would be best for their arthritis pain they would respond, "I don't need that fancy Advil stuff, just give me aspirin." They wanted a special number to call to talk to a real person. According to them, "that there voice computer can't fill my prescription." They would hate if the drug manufacturer changed the shape, or color of their pills. "This square pill is hard to take." "Since, they changed the color from peach to pink it leaves a terrible taste in my mouth." Oh, and my favorite is when the retirement bus would drop off every Tuesday. Each old person would go straight to their "token" helper. The little old ladies would run straight to the Druggist Tim and the old men would split their choice between me and the other girl depending if you like a firecracker(what the old men would call me) or a sweetie pie(obviously the other girl). Heaven forbid if one of us would be off that day. The old person would demand for their "token" helper. "Tim is the only one who knows what medicines I take." I would say, "Mrs. Smith, I can just look it up on the computer and fix it up for you too." Mrs. Smith would reply, "you kids today think everything is in that little computer of yours."
Wow, I took you all the way over there to bring you over here. My Asics Fortitude 2 changed their shoe up a bit. As they like to say, not changed but improved. They are now the Asics Fortitude 3. Not the same and definitely not improved. After running in them several different times trying to "break them in" they are actually causing me physical pain. I now have 5 blisters after trying them with thick, thin, and middle of the road socks. It also hits high on my arch probably causing my gait to go to hell. After, Thursdays run I was in plain pain on my gastrocnemius. I have been icing and wrapping to help. I am blaming the shoe throwing off my gait causing the muscle to overcompensate.
I came to terms that I needed to "change" out of my Asics Fortitude. I headed out to Luke's Locker and began my old lady rant. Why did they change these shoes? They have worked so well for me for this past year. Do you know if there is anywhere I can get the old Fortitude not this improved one? What do you mean there is not another Asics comparable with that shoe? You want me to try on Adidas? The lady at the running store was super sweet while listening to my old lady rant. Before I knew it I was running on the treadmill and the shoes felt like a perfect fit. I asked what are these? Those are the Brooks Glycerin. Did you say, Brooks? Like as in Brooks, Run Happy! Miss Meredith at Brooks Running always hooks up this blog with great running outfits for the winners of my challenges. Have I mentioned that no running short compares to the Brooks Epiphany shorts, the secret is in the slit.
Another "change" (do you just not love all the use of my " " I even do it in the air as I type it to be ultra annoying) I am coming to terms tonight that I will not be "racing" Thanksgiving day Run Thru The Woods 5 Miler. I will probably be running it as a training run. I am having S.S.L.S. "serious shredded leg syndrome" (yes, I now make up my own medical terms as well). I am even suffering from elementary running issues as shin splints. I will be icing the legs and hopefully get them back up to speed over the next couple of days. Coach K, had to "change" my track workout for tonight to accommodate my S.S.L.S. In the bigger scheme of things I have to accept the "change" in plans.
I have big plans in the future for a big PR at the Aramco Houston Half Marathon in addition to completing my first Ironman 70.3. This is just a Thanksgiving run to enjoy with the family and Team Strive. It will be all about being thankful that this year I can run it. Last year it was to be my longest race distance. I ignored warning signs leading up to that day, and watched on the sidelines with crutches while nursing a tibial stress fracture. Sometimes you just need a change. Maybe I still have a few years in me before I will start calling myself old.
I have big plans in the future for a big PR at the Aramco Houston Half Marathon in addition to completing my first Ironman 70.3. This is just a Thanksgiving run to enjoy with the family and Team Strive. It will be all about being thankful that this year I can run it. Last year it was to be my longest race distance. I ignored warning signs leading up to that day, and watched on the sidelines with crutches while nursing a tibial stress fracture. Sometimes you just need a change. Maybe I still have a few years in me before I will start calling myself old.
Sunday's Workout:
1hr. Spin Class
Monday's Workout:
Track Workout
Run 2.25 miles (12:18)
28 comments:
I love your pharmacy story! Old people crack me off but sometimes they can be very rude and inconsiderate. Change freaks me out sometimes. Some change is good, some i go running from. But seriously, its gonna happen anyway so i need to suck it up and deal with it.
CHANGE IN SHOES IS THE WORST! Why mess with a good thing? I have had the same issue (actual injury in a new shoe). I ended up calling all over the U.S. to buy up my shoe in my size...I guess it's my way of resisting CHANGE, dang it.
sucks about the shoes, hope the new ones work out well for you. Good luck with the S.S.L.S! :)
I HATE HATE HATE HATE it when they change shoes. Why can't they just leave well enough alone? WHy?!?!?!?
have a great turkey day you firecracker...LOL...thats if your shredded legs can take it....whooohooo
That half marathon has your name all over it! Take the time to rest up and heal. I hear turkey has wonderful healing powers. :o)
love the video. You and I are both going to PR half marathons on the same day. You in Houston and me in Phoenix.
Run Strong!
I'll be right there with you Thanksgiving morning. I have not ran since last Wednesday!! e
By the way, thank you for my Weight Loss Challenge Prize! My little boy said (of the Siggz Bottle), "Look Mommy, there's one for you and one for me!!
OMG did THAT bring back memories. You at least have the knack of remembering some of the sweet old people as well as the annoying ones. Before I quit practicing, I was viewing them more and more as just plain annoying. :D Okay, there were some sweethearts. Geez, been forever since I was behind the counter. (11 years!!) We ARE old. Oh well. You are running into every one-make-one-model shoe lover's night mare, a change in the model. I feel for ya, VIVI. That just sucks. I'm glad you found good old Brooks. They've been good to me too.
God, I miss ya. Sorry about the blisters and the gastrocs and the generally shredded legs. Get some rest, girlie.
XOXO
Great story about resisting change. You had me laugh as these old people reminded me of the Jack Nicholson character in "As good as it gets".
Hope you find a new shoe. :-)
I hate it when they make changes to shoes I really like. It is so annoying. I love my Brooks, I hope you do too. Have a great Thanksgiving.
A LOT of people are going through the same agony over shoe changes. I was told that Mizuno changes the lower one year, then the upper the next. Fortunately for me, I got my Inspires in the year they changed the upper. I've had good shoes the last two years. I'm not looking forward to next year.
BTW: For my sake, let's just say you hate change ;-)
Asics is discontinuing my shoe, so I retaliated by ordering two more in my size to stock up. I don't wanna find another shoe, damn it! Now I don't have to worry about it til late spring/early summer.
Sometimes change is not so good.
I HATE it when they change shoes!
A couple of my friends had problems with the new Asics Kayano. They are now taking a non-planned "break" from running.
The "new, improved" shoe literally rubbed them the wrong way.
I love my Brooks Glycerins but I hate change. I'm definitely going to be one of those old ladies (in the sadly not too distant future) whining that the color of her pills has changed. Sigh. Take care of your seriously shredded legs!!
OMG, I don't know if I could have worked in the pharmacy! I hear you on the shoes changing! I used to wear the Brooks Ariel, but they tweaked them one year and I also started getting blisters. Ugh!
LOL - looove the story :)
i am sooo nervous they are going to mess my shoes up!! they are "endagered" now and i hope they dont change too much when the new version comes out :(
hope those shin splints go away soon and happy thanksgiving!!!
I need new shoes soon, and I'm thinking about changing them. I just need to figure out what kind I need, rather than buying a run of the mill sneak off the rack.
Too many options.
I too, echo the HUGE disappointment of having shoes discontinued! Sucks, plain and simple. "It's taken me a thousand miles of running to find THE perfect combination, and NOW you tell me my shoes are discontinued!!"
:(:(:( I hear ya!
The pharmacy story has me laughing.
I avoid Wednesdays at the grocery store because it is Old People's Day there.
When my Mizunos changed I was really worried the new style would cause problems...luckily they didn't and I'm really sorry to hear that yours did! Major bunmmer!
You're so fun Viv. I hate when shoes change!!! Asics did the same thing to me. But you know I love me some Brooks running shorts!
AMEN Viv! Dang when I was in college I worked as Pharmacy tech. Those old peeps are f*ckin nuts I tell you. Nuts!
I could RANT, RANT, RANT, RANT about changing shoes...And I'm pretty darn sure I have. In the last change (Saucony Hurricane's) I nearly broke my foot because of it. GAH!
Oh girl...you got me started now...firecracker!
Such a funny pharmacy story! But, Yes, seems like shoe mfrs come out with new models every year and, as you have found, the new ones don't always work. When I can no longer get my favorite shoes from shoe stores, I often go online and google my shoe brand and model. Many discount retailers will still carry the shoe for longer and you can often get them at a good price. I often buy 2-3 pairs of shoes at a time.
Happy Thanksgiving and thanks for the link to the video!
Im such a curmudgeon already.
especially ESPECIALLY in the shoe changeage.
its not pretty I know...
Look after your shredded shins and now new blisters, I hate when they change up shoes on you!
Yup, I'm like a little old lady in the apothecary!
The last pair of Ariel's I had were a pain in the, well, foot. And I see there is now a 2009 pair, which fills me with dread. I've been in these for 3 years. (different shoe same make.) Still I am concerned.
Still I do love my Brooks.
Post a Comment