
Maybe, I should start tittling my posts as cross training week blah blah. I had my visit with Mc Dreamy. Here is the status, the leg is still extremely tender to the touch indicating there is still edema, and there is still bruising on the outside of my shin, so it's not ready to run. It does not bug me when walking or anything else that does not involve direct pavement pounding. I am officially out of the boot, that umm..I have really not been wearing. Than, I bitch that I can't run yet. Doc said four more weeks of cross training for me. However, I can reinstate the elliptical officially. He let me know that he can see that runners fever in my face. I guess I had that lower lip hanging way down. Any further damage to the leg and it will quickly turn in to stress fracture and crutches. I don't know how I feel about it yet. I start my running clinic next week, and I might attend and see how it goes. If that run kills it, I will stop. I was thinking if I don't abuse it and just run once or twice a week it might be alright. I didn't let Mc Dreamy know all this, but I am stubborn, strike that extremely hard headed, strong minded, rebellious, unyielding, inexorable, _________ insert your own synonym here. I might skip the 2 a day tonight. I have been doing 2 a days since Monday, and my legs are finally sore. I will ice it up, Advil, and back to the gym in the morning.
I forgot to mention that after spinning today I again got convinced to take a group coordination class, cardio strength, that to me resembled a kickboxing class with free weights, and some sort of apparatus that I step up and down off of!! I just had strength trained yesterday..ouch. No more group efforts that require coordination for me again. NEVER AGAIN!
6 comments:
are you sure you aren't willing yourself to keep the boot for future visits to mcdreamy?
seriously. hope it gets better soon, viv.
Viv I don't want to sound preachy but I'm dead serious when I say LISTEN.TO.YOUR.DOCTOR.
I know it makes us all feel bad-ass to go and do fevered activities regardless of what the warning is but please please please take it from me-these things do not get better by doing the opposite of what your doctor says. You are lucky to be able to cross train the way you are.
Trust me when I tell you that stress fractures are no fun, and neither are crutches. By disregarding what he's saying you are prolonging your absence from running. It's not fun to have to stop but it might be the best thing for you. No one wants to be the winner of their training...they want to be the winner of their race. And if you can't get through the training then you'll never make it to the race. You are so awesome but you (nor I) are super heroes-bones fracture. Count your blessings that you found out and listened to your body BEFORE it turned into a fracture.
Please heed the warning...I promise you I'm not talkin' outta my ass ☺
Ok, I'll step off the soap box now...sorry!
I have to agree with maria, Viv! Follow the docs orders, or you might have the miss the training group completely. You will still make that 5K, I am sure of it!
Viv- Listen to your doc (and to Maria!)
At least you can hit the elliptical, right?
I'm also very stubborn. I can only imagine me getting 3 or 4 different opinions and calling the dr on a regular basis, until he said, FINE! Go ahead and run!
Viv, I found this quote in a running magazine and have started taking it to heart:
"Just because you can, doesn't mean you should."
If ya won't listen to McDreamy then listen to the running goddess FPS. You'll be back to running better than ever in no time...with a killer hiney to boot!
Viv--listen to your doc...and Maria...and TXrunner...and Tammy...and DoriAnn.
I understand the itch to get out and run. Fear not--the road will still be there waiting for you. Take your time, and come back full strength instead of half-ass injured. You are awesome! Don't settle for sub-par runs just to be running.
Post a Comment