Monday, August 13, 2007
LIVESTRONG CHALLENGE 5K Training Week 7
Well, here I am second day of week 7, and I can't run not that I don't want to. I want to run now with every bit of my being. I had been feeling pain in my left shin area since last Wednesday. I assumed it was shin splints from running too many days consecutively. I took it easy over the last 5 days, and just did spinning classes, and strength training. I had been icing it, and probably taking way too much Naproxen, Ibuprofen, and any other NSAID's I could get my hands on. My leg felt great while active, during spinning I thought I was healed! Right after my muscles would cool off again, holy shit, the stabbing pain would return. This morning as I loaded up on the Advil, I thought this is not the way I should be feeling. I made an appointment with a sports medicine orthopedic, Dr. Johnson, A.K.A. Dr. Mc Dreamy. They first took an x ray of my left tibia, which showed nothing significant. Dr. Johnson than examined my leg, and when he pressed on the center anterior tibia the pain was instant and pretty severe. The Dr. said that a stress fracture would not appear on x ray for about 3-4 weeks after the injury. If I continued to run without knowledge I could make things worst. He felt it is most likely a stress fracture, but to be sure I had an MRI done. It was late in the afternoon so the results will not be read till tomorrow. My instructions for the time being is to continue spinning and other non pound paving activities. I should get my results tomorrow. What do I do now? I keep cross training as hard as I physically can . The 5K is now eight weeks away, and I will not give up! The finish line will only be that much damn sweeter for me now!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Oh man, Viv. I hope the MRI comes back clear. WTG, keeping up the cross in the meantime--you're a champ!!
Wow, Viv.... Here's hoping for a good result from the MRI.
It's great that you're keeping up the cross training!
Oh, and I can see why you call him Dr McDreamy!! Yum!
Oh crap, I'll keep my fingers crossed that it's not a stress fracture!
Hope it does come back negative, Viv. You're doing the right thing to stay in shape other ways.
Post a Comment