Wednesday, August 15, 2007

LIVESTRONG CHALLENGE 5K Training Week 7 Part II



The verdict is in on my gimp leg. It is actually really great news. It is not a stress fracture, but a stress reaction on the tibia. My MRI showed edema, fluid built up on the outer layer of my tibia. He said there was a lot of fluid and the outer layer of the bone is pretty inflamed, which would explain the pain and sensitivity I am having in that area, He explained it to me like this;

Level 1 : Shin Splints
Level 2 : Stress Reaction
Level 3 : Stress Fracture


The treatment plan
  1. No running till I see him on my 2 week follow up, also means no elliptical
  2. I have to wear this huge knee high boot while I am moving around
  3. I can spin or cycle for 6 days a week, but he prefers I do 5 days a week
  4. Take Naporsyn 500mg twice daily, he recommended Celebrex, but my pharmacy background makes me hesitant of that shit

I did an hour spin class today, but this teacher was killer man! She had us up and down hubbering through an entire song, the top part of the body freezing and riding slow on high resistance! KILLER! OK that is enough bitching about how tough the class was..waa waa! This is a good example of spinning, except what the fuck! Why is everyone in this video smoking hot! LOL!
I Look like the chick suffering in the white tee shirt, look for her..

In Conclusion, I am thrilled! Thanks for all the advice and well wishes. I will spin my ass off so I can go back to running smoothly. I know, I know gently ease back in to it. I don't know why, but I just giggled when I typed that. So, I will be on my best behavior for ten days and keeping Ben Gay in business.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Viv,

I haven't had the chance to tell you how proud I am of you! I have never seen you so determined about anything in all the years I've been with you...it's great and motivating. I hope you recover quickly, but don't go too hard. Congrats on your accomplishments and your disciplined healthy choices. I support you and will be there for you when you cross the finish line at the 5K.

Maria said...

Alright Viv! See, no worries...you're going to kick ass at your 5K!


p.s. stress fractures suck :(

Noelle said...

Good news, Viv!! Here's to a speedy recovery!

Tammy said...

Fantastic news Viv!!
So great to hear!

Unknown said...

I'm glad it wasn't a stress fracture! That spin class sounds crazy-hard, but awesome.

TX Runner Mom said...

BTW, I added you to my Houston Running bloggers list.