Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Jeff & Brede's Triathlon Race Report

I was a little hesitant of doing this tri since I flew in the night before from FL. I felt I was not prepared as far as tapering correctly, hydration, not swimming a yard or cycling a mile in 10 days, even riding SOW that had not mile one of quality time with Momma. Shifting on SOW (tri bike) is different then Baby Girl (road bike) shifting.

Pre Race I got all those doubtful feelings I always get. Shane, is no help in that department. He is like fine get your bike and go home if you don't think you can do it. LOL! It is the tough love this chica needs most of the time. I hope this is something that will begin to fade over time. Especially when you wait so long to get in the pool. It is seeded beginning with #1 based on swim time. I was #381 so I was waiting around quite a while.

Luckily, I had such great cowbell with me that kept me entertained chatting while waiting. Thank you so much, Ana, Frank, B, Greg, Mel, T & the gang for getting up early and being there for me. Knowing you guys are there after each leg makes me push a little harder even though the numbers didn't show that for me this time.


I did get to meet Coach Liz since she was out there volunteering and gave plenty o' cowbell! It was so great to finally meet her... Did I mention the chickie is built to race.

Swim: 300meter 8:33 (2:51/100m)

It was a PR swim for me. I still have no idea how. I worked on focusing on the form I learned at coached swim, but would get tired and go all crazy form again. I was not stunned to see I was seeded by people who walked the lanes. Is that legal?! Here are some pics so you can see my all wild form....

Keep that head down!! Lower.... Lower...

Is the ostrich neck really necessary??

T1: 2:13
Have to work on it. I refuse to give excuses they are like jackholes ya know. (honorary word by, Wes)


Bike: 12miles 43:03 (16.7mph)

It was an open course so there were a few cars. I just had fun out there getting to know SOW. I have the feeling over time we will get some higher mph averages. Of all things there was a turtle crossing the road that made me swerve a bit.

  • The standard QR saddle was brutally painful
  • Also need to get Ken at Bike Lane to bring up the aero bars a little, my neck was hurting

SOW getting hit on

T2: 1:44
Disappointing, I know I can do T2 faster.



Run: 3miles 37:46 (12:35)

NO COMMENT.....





Total Time: 1:33:17

Overall, I will admit I was disappointed in myself. I know I can do better and there could be a long list of reasons why I didn't. I had fun and honestly I can't beat the love and support I get from my friends and family.
Here is the zinger
I usually stick around to wait for the preliminary results and watch people get their awards and live vicariously through them. I was super tired though and only hung out for overall winners then left. Guess, what I find out today when looking up the results. I don't know if my Athena rivals decided to sleep in Sunday morning or what, but I placed 2nd in my division!! WTF?! Me, Viv! I emailed the race director to see if there was a way I can pick up my hardware. It could be a popsicle stick with the #2 on it and it would still mean the world to me.....


42 comments:

Timmy said...

Congrats on finishing AND placing!

Unknown said...

Congrats! After vacation that is awesome just to show up and then get #2 in your group. You Rock!

MissAllycat said...

YOU ROCK!

teacherwoman said...

Lookin' good Viv! Congrats on placing 2nd! WAHOO!

J~Mom said...

Why all the silliness about your transition times? They look killah to me. :>D You rocked it!!!!!! CONGRATS!!!!

Wes said...

Yay! Congrats on second!! and also on a good choice of words :-)

P.S. Get fitted!!

P.O.M. said...

Holy SHIZ NIT! Congrats on placing. The only thing I placed in is.... well... nothing! Awesome darrrrrrrrrrrrling.

AnnaBanana said...

WOOO-HOOOO!!!

Girl you ROCK!!! Even without placing you did awesome. You had FUN and that's what's important.

YOU FREAKING GOT 2ND PLACE!!

Holy crap!! Way to go -- way to work hard and earn it.

You rock!

Marcy said...

AWWWHHHHHH MOMMACITA THAT IS AWESOME!!! WHOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOO 2nd place!! Sweetness!! It's that SOW, I tell ya ;-)

Lily on the Road said...

Oh Viv, AWESOME!!! Way to go girly!

TRI TO BE FUNNY said...

HELL YEAH!!! Hardware is hardware baby and you deserve it. Relish the moment and carry the confidence with you through training and beyond! (Make sure you show your spinning students your medal so they know how lucky they are!)

Anonymous said...

Nice job Viv! Way to PR on the swim and place 2nd. Plus, you just got back from vacation! How can you be disappointd with that.

Anonymous said...

wooohooo way to go Viv - hope the award is more than a popsicle stick, but like you, I would cherish it anyway.

Al's CL Reviews said...

OMG, Viv, you should be so proud of yourself.
That is so awesome.

I love your blog, because I was so not expecting to read that, and felt so proud of you, that I can't even imagine what you feel!

WTG!

Bob - BlogMYruns.com said...

WOW WOW WOW Congrats Chica !!!

WTG!!! Very Awesome!

Teacher Pursuits said...

OH MY!! That is fantastic! Congratulations!!! And thank you for not hitting the turtle! HAH!

Junie B said...

WAY TO GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MePlusMyThree said...

Display that popsicle stick with pride!!

You did great Viv - it was great to watch you race!

N.D. said...

2nd in your division! Congrats, that is awesome!! Looks like you had alot of support and are too hard on yourself being disappointed! I like the non open water swim - that is the only thing kind of holding me back from tri-ing a tri, e/c I suck at biking. Where do you find pool swims as part of tris? Congrats again, good job!!!

Tiggs said...

placing!!! ROCK ON!!!!

I wouldn't worry about the time- when I did Silverlake I was sick as a dog and basically used it to practice and gain experience on the race course instead of actually racing. I've been working hard to race Iron Babe in August. Of course I am only "racing" myself, but I want to tear it up!

Hardware rules! WTG girl!!

Carly said...

Woooooooooooooooooooooo
HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!

Viv, you rock girl! That is so awesome about placing in your division!

Welcome back from vacation! Looked like a fabulous time.

Erin Leigh said...

I can't believe you left and you actually placed. I don't think I will ever place at anything but that is so how it would happen for me too.

I think you rocked it. You were away and came back and did it!! Good for you.

Anonymous said...

congrats.
this is something Ill most likely never do and SO ADMIRE YOU for doing it!
M.

Nitmos said...

What a bummer to miss the rpesentation but, what the heck, you earned the award! I don't worry about who DIDN'T show up that day. Worry about who DID. You did. And you placed. Congratulations.

Tammy said...

Congrats again on 2nd place!!

LOL @ a popsickle stick with the number 2 on it!

Sarah said...

Congrats on the hardware!! Hardware is hardware, and it's always cool.

I noticed your comment on the stock bike saddle -- that was the very first thing I replaced when I bought my tri bike. It was unbearable to ride for more than 10 miles. Get a better saddle, I promise you won't regret it!

E said...

Amazing job! I'm so proud of you! and you placed 2nd! YAYYYAYYY!

Mistyfied said...

Well I was about to tell you "at least you were out there and you finished" but then I continued on and saw that you placed in your division. YOU ROCK GIRL!! Way to go... You will have to post a picture of your award when you receive it, even if it is a stick with a #2 on it. See you soon. Sorry I did not get a chance to chat with you last night.

Kevin said...

Great job on your 2nd Plage AG finish. Cant wait to find out what kinda race bling you got

Aka Alice said...

Wow! Congrats on placing!

C said...

Woo hoo!! You kicked some severe ass! Congrats on placing second!!!

Jess said...

Congrats on the bronze chica! Nicely done.

Steve Stenzel said...

SWEET JOB ON NUMBER 2!!! Way to go!!!

And I WISH I had your transition times! I'm slow in there...

CoachLiz said...

Congratulations!!!

I want to see that popcicle stick with the #2 on it when you get it.

Great to meet you!

Yasmin said...

Woot, Woot!

I have the same problem with swimming and the head thing. I blame more open water swimming, but my coach is having none of it.

paige said...

WTG Viv!!! You did AWESOMELY!

I'm so proud of you, I can't even be jealous!

RooBabs said...

Wowie Zowie!! You are amazing! Congrats!!

sRod said...

You know, you have now become one of those people I hate. Those people who roll out of bed on race day, decide that it's a nice day for a race, grab their beat up shoes, and proceed to spank everyone else in the race.

Diario de Elysia said...

Felicidades Vivi...wow girl that's awesome!

chia said...

Hero status: Achieved :-)

Effin'A dude, that's fantastic!!!

Mendy said...

Woo Hoo Viv!! You did awesome. Those are nice pics too! Congrats on 2nd!!!!!!

I had one of those similar situations once at a 5K. I never thought I'd place (at anything), and I did.

Margo said...

Great job!!