I am on a recovery week which does not feel like recovery. My tri training schedule is on the ease up but my work schedule is not. I have had 3 spin/cycle classes in two days one of my own and subbing 2 other classes. I had a class last night and the majority of the class was dead, dude. I saw like no life in their eyes, nada, zero, zilch. Just glazed over eyes staring at me waiting for me to say sumfin magical maybe?!? I left the class feeling dissatisfied and a slight feeling of failure to my students. Maybe I am just too much of a people pleaser, it was a full moon, they really were zombies, or a little bit of all the above. I will suck it up as part of dealio in making a little cash to support my tri expenditures.
I am really tired and my left calf muscle is truly tripping out. It has been really tight since the tri on Sunday. At track on Tuesday evening it was pretty much unbearable. Coach cut off a mile of my 1 mile cruise intervals and tonight I have hill repeats on the bike. I will again suck it up as part of the delio of achieving my tri goals.
Sorry, if this sounds like one long bitch post. OK it doesn't sound like it. It is a bitch post.
Random Thought of The Day:
Is brought to you by my Mom, who
after 33 years still puzzles me with her statements.
after 33 years still puzzles me with her statements.
Mom: What is on your feet.
Me: I think it's athletes foot. (yea I know, gross)
Mom: How will you wear flip flops the rest of summer? You really need to stop running.
Me: *staring blankly, completely speechless*
25 comments:
Don't be so hard on yourself with the spin classes. I'm sure some students just don't get the "all fired up" look - totally not your fault.
Your mom sounds like my mom. She's always telling me not to push myself when it comes to running and working out.
This: "I saw like no life in their eyes, nada, zero, zilch. Just glazed over eyes staring at me waiting for me to say sumfin magical maybe?!? I left the class feeling dissatisfied and a slight feeling of failure to my students" describes some classes I have had. Granted, I don't teach spinning, but I know the feeling.
You have to try to not take it personally, even though you will, and just roll with it, yo.
Love your mom's comment!
Vulcan, not too bad, here you're called Clydsdale...yup like the horse...hasn't given me a complex! ya, right!!
vulcan?!?!
ok, Athena sounds much better...and prettier...or something.
LOL @your mom....I take it she's not an athlete :)
Love the glass plaque! I would carry it around with me. Like Flavor Flav except it would be the plaque and not a clock around my neck.
Love your mom's comments. Sounds like my mom.
LMAO @ your Mom's statement! Is your Mom & my Mom long lost sisters?
Cool Trophy!
I only got a framed certificate the year I placed at J & B's Tri. You made out like a bandit!
Hey, you should register for the Austin Tri on Labor Day. They should have some awesome trophies!!!
Hmm your colors made it secretive to make a comment, it was like a scavenger hunt, fun fun! When I go to pilates classes, there are times when I am just NOT feeling it, and it is going through the motions. The instructor could be doing cartwheels and the class is still not energized. Don't worry, it isn't you. As a teacher, I know when my kids are tired in class, I've seen the look that you are talking about.
Greetings, Vulcan....
Roll out that calf, drink plenty of water!! Don't kill yourself :-)
I've heard that folks in spin classes love instructors that are lively! Have a couple of drinks before the next one ;-)
Take it easy on yourself kiddo.
Vulcan is better than Clydesdale which is the other label I'd heard for us ... um... larger runner.
OMFG VIV LOL!!!! OK first that's a pretty sweet little dealy there, but I thought the same thing when I saw Vulcan. "Did Viv win something from a Trekky convention or something?" I've never heard that terminology before. I always thought it was just Athena. I guess I learn sumfin new everyday.
Second, don't even sweat the class dealy. Everyone has good/bad days. And don't take it personally (easier said than done) it's NOT YOU! I bet they all didn't eat before class or sumfin. I get like that when me gets a little hungry LOL
Don't you love parents? They always find a way to old school you. I love the whole "you should also eat a lot"/"you should lose weight" dicodomy.
Three spin classes, I am tired taking 1! Make sure you take care of your calf. Hope it stops tripping out.
Keep up all your hard work. You are doing great.
I never blame the spin coach for the class sucking..i think some days the students just are zombies...its not your fault...
please tell your mother how much running and fitness has transformed your life.....and ask her if she would like you to be depressed and not feeling fit....and not winning awards.....
way to go viv....rock it... or as the youth say...
way to roll
Holy cow, that's a lot of spinning! You are fierce, woman!
Love the bling/coffe-table-accent-piece. The Vulcan thing is a little weird, but kind of cool I guess- if nothing else, it's unique.
LOL about your mom. Luckily my mom is into crazy diet stuff almost as much as I am, so she doesn't make me feel like a spazz for spouting off detailed nutrition facts for every food in sight. = )
don't be too hard on yourself about the spinning....it's impossible to teach an awesome class all the time...plus sometimes students are just uninspired and it took them everything just to drag their butts into the gym...makes for a crappy vibe, but at least people showed up lol...nothing worse than teaching just one or two people
Great looking award. From a former spin class addict, I know there were days that even the best, most lively instructors just could not get us motivated. It wasnt you, it had to be them. There will just be days like that
Moms never cease to amazing me. Here's yesterday's conversation. The set up: My cousin (a dog lover) is at my mom's house and I'm calling to see if she wants to go visit my friend Harry's dogs that I'm dogsitting. I said originally that I'd pick her up at 8:30.
Me: Does Jen want to see the little dogs?
Mom: I thought you were coming at 8:30
Me: I am, does Jen want to see the little dogs?
Mom: It's 8:40.
Me: I know, does Jen want to see the little dogs?
Mom: Jen are you going to see the dogs?
Jen: Yeah
Mom: Yeah
Me: OK
End of conversation. After I hang up she says to Jen "Why is the Wine Dog so confrontational?" Blink. Blink.
They're sure I weigh 206 because of my weight lifting. No, Ma, it's because I'm fat. Keep running, it's good for you and it's good for your soul.
Gotta love'm though....right?
Hey SI (Spin Instructor)! Don't be too hard on yourself. Most of the time when I'm in spin class I don't interact. Has nothing to do with the instructor. Just me worrying about having enough energy to get through the class.
I am sure it had nothing to do with your teaching...I'm sure your spin classes rock! LOL at your Mom...my Mom thought I shouldn't run because it would hurt the reproductive organs and she'd never have grandchildren. ummm, yea, we have no problems in that area. LOL!
we're sisters?!
Stylin' trophy there Viv! Great job!
Parents are fun. Mine said something about "aren't you worried you'll get a big ass?"
Um, bigger than what Mom?
Awww..moms, I love it!! I can't even tell you the convos I have had like that!
Hey, I forgot to say congrats on the hardware!!!!
Now that's a nice piece of hardware! I would build a firplace mantel to put that on!
Post a Comment