Monday, February 11, 2008

Tempo, I Think

I hope everyone had a fantastic weekend! The weather in Houston was gorgeous, and I made sure to take advantage of it.


I had two miles on the schedule today, on the shorter ones I try to give it more juice than I normally would. I guess you would call that tempo? Correct me if I am wrong, since I have no clue on the runner’s lingo.


2 Miles 22:30 (11:15)

Mile 1 (11:34)
Mile 2 (10:56)

Movie Corner:
The Kingdom: good plot & action, enjoyed it even with Jennifer Garner’s extreme collagen lips.
Rush Hour 3: OK time to stop the Rush Hour movies
Part 1 LMAO
Part 2 LOL
Part 3 :-/

I did catch some of the Grammy’s. They did pull out a lot of old school performers, but the one I enjoyed was, Tina Turner & Beyonce performing “Proud Mary”. After, reading Timmy’s review of it, I thought I would let him opine on another version of “Proud Mary”. I never agree to karaoke, but if I would several things would have to happen.

  1. It would have to be super dark.
  2. It would have to be a hole in the wall locale.
  3. I would have had a minimum of 6 alcoholic drinks consumed.
  4. I would have to have a back up singer.
  5. I would have to have a karaoke version on Ike & Tina’s "Proud Mary".



My so called version of "Proud Mary" is towards the end of the slide show. You may want to mute you sound :-O

10 comments:

AnnaBanana said...

Dang you run FAST!

Timmy said...

OMG! THAT was GREAT! It put a big smile on my face. All you needed was me as a backup dancer with a bra on my head:
http://str8upwithatwist.blogspot.com/2007/06/big-wheel-keep-on-turnin.html

Marcy said...

LMAO!! HAHAHAHA Love the summary of the Rush Hour movies!

Sounds like a sweet weekend my dear ;-)

Anonymous said...

OMG girl!! you made my ribs hurt!

Getting to the running....*thud* your times are awesome!

Paige

Yasmin said...

I think you're right with the tempo thing, but I'm also still a bit wet behind the ears with running lingo.

Those are awesome times though!

TX Runner Mom said...

Great run! I really liked The Kingdom..lol about JG's lips. I haven't seen Rush Hour 3, but it looks like I didn't miss anything.

Carly said...

Great times Viv! Keep up the good work. I am so jealous of your beautiful weather. Can you send some my way???

Jess said...

Well, you're braver than I. Under NO circumstances would I do karoake. Now, Rock Band, that's a different story.

J~Mom said...

Yes! That was a fantastic tempo run!! Nice job!!

Bill D said...

First thing – you are doing great! Keep up the training and keep it fun.
Second – What is a Tempo Run?
The word “tempo” was first used by Jack Daniels, Ph.D. His definition, "A tempo run is nothing more than 20 minutes of steady running at threshold pace." ref: Daniels’ Running Formula (Human Kinetics). What is threshold pace? (also called anaerobic threshold or lactate threshold) Threshold pace is the effort level just below the body’s ability to clear lactate. The pace is about 30 seconds per mile slower than your current 5K race pace.
So for you….. (looking at you last 5K with an 11:34 pace)….a 5-10 minute warm-up jog, then 20 minutes at about 12:00/mi pace and then a 5-10 cool down jog or walk would be a tempo run. You ran a little too fast.
You are training more than your muscles…the most important training is at the cellular level which has to be done in the presence of oxygen. You can slow your training pace down a bit and gain speed race day.
When you run your next PR…adjust your pace to fit the workout.
Also – A tempo workout counts as a hard training day. Alternate hard and easy days (or two easy days).

Last thing, same as first - You're doing great!