Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Viv's Corner Edition IV

You may cogitate, Viv's Corner, saying to yourself, I thought this would just appear randomly.

This is random for me to post two so close together.

I got an e-mail from Andy, who works for the Ironman PR firm, he asked me to share with you guys this Ironman Kona 2008 video. Ironman Kona World Championship will air on NBC Saturday December 13, 2:30P-4:00P (EST). Make sure you set your DVR's. There is always a few special people featured, which may want to make you run out and sign up for Ironman. Then you take a peek at an Ironman training schedule and think, hmm IM70.3 sounds just like the porridge Goldilocks would choose.



One person who did take the huge challenge of training for Ironman was blog bud, Wes. I am so proud of him. I have followed Wes since before his first 1/2 Ironman distance and it was a pleasure to follow his journey all the way to becoming an Ironman! For those of you who don't follow Wes check out his full report here, Wes's Ironman Florida Report.


The Runners Lounge, which connects me to so many cool runners and great advice hosted a forum where other runners could nominate runners they wanted to thank. I was shocked to see that my bribes paid off I was nominated by three people. It was very special to hear read such kind words about myself. Like, usually I just look in the mirror and repeat, "I'm Good Enough, I'm Smart Enough, and Doggone It, People Like Me!" As a thank you gift the Lounge is sending me the book, "The Complete Guide to Beginning Running", autographed by the author. Thanks to Tom & Amy at the Runners Lounge and the people below for their, "Thank You's" .


RooBabs: I think Viv (fivekviv) deserves a shout out. She always has something going on, and her stories and blog posts are hilarious. She is very dedicated to her training (running, swimming and biking) and to her blogging peeps.Recently she hosted (another) weight loss challenge, and she spent time getting sponsors and prizes and everything. She spent her own free time calculating all the percentages and putting up weekly posts. It was very motivating for me, and for the other participants, I'm sure.Viv is an inspiration, and she is an example of how you can succeed when you put your heart and mind to something.

MarathonDudeBill: Viv is definitely another one of those great people with this wonderful self-deprecating humor. She does things that I could never do with her triathlons and such and her writing always puts a smile on my face.

Jess: I'd have to say thanks to Viv for all her fun challenges. They always provide a little extra motivation.

--------------------------------------------

Here is a great article I finally got to read this week, Back Into The Water. After San Diego's first fatal shark attack in half-a century took the life of Dave Martin , an unlikely pair learned to swim through the tragedy.


---------------------------------------------------------------

All right, last thing I promise. I never did a blog anniversary post or a 100th post or anything like that. So, I will honor the blog with the post that gets the most hits from Google searched keywords...... Crash Test Dummy brings them here to Excuse #1 I'm Not Fit To Run. First off ,why in the world are people searching Crash Test Dummy?! I hope it is not being searched because of that song, "MMM, MMM, MMM, MMMM".

It was cool to read back and see were I was a year ago, in addition to seeing the comments are from people that are still around. Ironically(yea right), I was dealing with some kind of injury. Obviously, I don't let any mofo injury change my mind about what I want. I won't be back around till Monday so have a great weekend!

"Crash Test Dummy" posted December 5, 2007

This is what I see when I look in the mirror lately.

I am coming live to you from Starbucks. I have to say this stay at home Mom gig has some perks, kiddo is at Pre School now. I feel like Perez Hilton except that I don’t think any stars are walking up in this joint. People are looking at me like I am doing some serious work here, if they only knew.

Sorry, I have not blogged in a while. I felt like a loser coming in here and saying not only do I have a stress fracture, and calf strain. I now have scrapes, bruises, and a rib contusion (fracture, I hate that word). I had my first official bike crash on Saturday’s club ride. It was a one person crash, usually how I crash cars as well. We were about 9 miles into the ride, and at that stretch I was going about 16mph. We were coming out of the shoulder to the road because there was a curb up. I checked behind me and there was a truck coming pretty quickly not giving much me much clearance. I was so busy keeping my eyes on him that I missed the huge lip between the road and shoulder. That skinny road bike tire hit it sideways, and off I went. I learned you don’t have to worry about unclipping if you hit hard enough it will be done for you automatically. I know I stood up quickly with fear that the truck would make me road kill. I am so glad I was with the group, hence why I still am scared to ride solo, and a flat tire those two things keep me always riding with a partner. I felt like I hit my head pretty hard. I have a goose egg bump on my head, but that is just from the helmet hitting my head. I was shaking afterward. I think it was just an adrenaline rush since at the moment I felt no pain. One, of the guys twisted my bike back to a ride able shape. One, the ladies had band aids. After, a few minutes we were off. My rear brakes were out, the front ones were barely working, and the whole bike leaned left. I took it easy back to the Y, not to mention that I had regained all the fear I had of the bike before.

I felt sore for the next couple of days, but Tuesday morning I woke up and felt like I had been speared on my left side. It was difficult to breathe so I went to the Dr. and he hooked me up with the good stuff. He said the worst pain is days 3-5, luckily today is day 5, (still hurts like hell), but tomorrow is day 6, so I should feel fine tomorrow right? He said just no heavy lifting and stay off the road bike for a couple weeks so I don't fall and injure the same area, which could cause complications. I still have kept up with spin class, and an extra 45 minutes after class, depending who the instructor is.

I got some groovy x ray pictures, but I can't figure out how to copy it off this disk.

I should have taken the pics right after the accident versus Wednesday night, Duh?! I am still practicing at this documentary; some of you are so good at it. The goose egg pic I will save you from, mostly save me cause I couldn't’t get one pic without showing that I have to redo my roots already..ugh!

This one just feels like a sunburn. It is little but very annoying.I had a short sleeve shirt on it it has no rips, weird. I have this on the side of my stomach too. I am not taking a picture of my stomach to save my life. Can my stretch marks be anymore prominent. NASTY!

The little ones on my knuckles is where my glove ripped. My knee is just bruised now, I had on pants. My camera sucks, I can't see the green on this pic.

These pictures stink!


Random thought of the day: My Mom's reply to falling off my bike. "Maybe ,you should stop exercising till you lose more weight or just walk on a treadmill"

9 comments:
Margo said...
The Project Runway Christmas marathon you and your sister have planned is sow cool! I love that they replay it because even after I've seen it (& DVR'd it), I may just watch it again to pick up on new things - I know, sick!
December 5, 2007 9:38 AM

Marcy said...
Uhhhh Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh
December 5, 2007 6:03 PM

Timmy said...
uh...I don't like that graphic. details please?
December 5, 2007 6:27 PM


TX Runner Girl said...
Oh no! Sorry to hear about your fall. Probably a good indication that I should NOT be riding my bike while pregnant. But, it's so much more fun than jogging. BTW, your Mom's quote sounds exactly like something my Mom would say!
December 6, 2007 8:55 AM

Tammy said...
I can't imagine how disrespectful I would sound in my reply if my mom ever said something like that to me!So sorry you crashed! That's always a big fear of mine when I ride my bike- thus I ride pretty slow not really getting much of a workout, just joy rides.
December 6, 2007 2:24 PM

P.O.M. said...
Ouch! Glad you are ok.Ok, my mother makes comments sometimes - ya just want to - roll your eyes and walk away. Just roll, and walk. (This is how I have learned to keep the peace. ha ha)
December 6, 2007 4:40 PM

Paige said...
Your mom said what???!! You sure you're not my sister or sumfin?? Or maybe THEY are related!! LOLWhen people say stupid shit it's mostly because you could fit their courage in a thimble and the thought of climbing such a HUGE mountain is scary to them...They'd rather be home on the couch than taking a chance and living a life of adventure.The victory wouldn't be half as sweet if the climb was easy and the bumps along the way didn't hurt so much. Keep climbing your mountain!! It'll ALL be worth it!!
December 7, 2007 6:46 AM

Marcy said...
(((HUGS))) I'm SOOOOO glad you're ok!! Wow that sounded like a one narly accident!
December 7, 2007 11:43 AM

J~mom said...
Oh ouchie!!!!!! I am glad you are ok!!
December 7, 2007 4:49 PM

25 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, I'm first to comment!!! Woohoo. Loved your mums comment about not exercising 'til you've lost weight - CLASSIC....

Thanks for the Ironman clip - now I'm all wanting to do one and stuff, and I can't even be arsed doing my half iron next weekend - I'm just weird like that.

Pat said...

Pictures of skin. That's probably why it got so many hits. That just means you have a very sexy shoulder, even when it's banged up.

now this is not to imply that I'm searching for pictures of bare skin. No, I'm just guessing.

really.

Jess said...

Maybe people are looking to purchase crash test dummies? Weird that the phrase would get so many hits.

Anonymous said...

I will be taping or watching the Ironman. They are awesome. Take care of yourself. Glad you are ok.

Wes said...

Too bad there wasn't a barbed wire fence to hold you up like it did me the first time I went off the road! Now you have some injuries that will add character :-) Take my word for it. My scar on my arm is such a topic of conversation. LOL!! Thanks for the shout out, girlfriend! Recover well, recover strong!

Marcy said...

NO eff-ing WAY MOMMACITA!!! Shut up! That was 1 whole year ago?!?!? Holy shiz time has gone warp speed!

N.D. said...

Oh I like that video. Very inspiring!! Good for you winning that runners lounge thing. You are inspiring. Hope your body is resting a bit.

teacherwoman said...

After watching that Ironman video, I almost wanted to train for one. But, then I blinked and thought twice about it. I think I need to get past Oly and 1/2 Iron first! LOL.

Love the comment your mom made about your bike incident! LOL.

J~Mom said...

I said "Oh ouchie" LMBO!! Clearly I didn't even know you then. ;>)

Razz said...

1) glad you're ok!
2) How the hell have I not stopped by your blog yet?

As always, I'm an idiot.

Mel-2nd Chances said...

congrats on the "thank you" gift, that's awesome. And your mom's comments sounds like what my dad would say.

Nicole said...

soo sorry to hear about your fall, i'm glad your okay though! bike road rash SUCKS!

Anonymous said...

my mom left yesterday after being here for a week and a half.

I have PTSD

Calyx Meredith said...

Thanks for the iron video and heads up about the broadcast. Will definitely record it to watch while I'm biking on the trainer!

RunToTheFinish said...

I think I might be afraid to see what i posted a year ago...eik. Don't you feel loved from all those comments!

Sarah said...

Love it! You deserve the shout-outs. :) And your mom is crazy. I guess all moms are though.

P.O.M. said...

OH MY - so we've like totally be friends for a year now. coolness.

Shannon said...

Can't wait for the day you "add" me to your blog list! Then I'll know I made it! :)

{muah} congrats on the shout-outs.

Anonymous said...

I watch that and yeah, I still want to run an Ironman.

(Thanks for the Runners Lounge link. Damn it, turns out I need to acknowledge.)

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your site. I need the encouragement and found it here.

Come and read my real life story and how it worked for me. http://nicolesweightloss.true.ws/

Holly said...

Thanks for the heads up about Ironman--I always seem to miss it and kick myself for forgetting. I love the coverage and the stories--pass the Kleenex!

Anonymous said...

It's amazing hoiw much damage a little bicycle can caues! Hope you're healing and back on your way!

C said...

Love the Ironman clip. I could never do that though. I'd drown in an instant.

Happy non-blog anniversary, Viv. So glad I found you on the interwebs.

Btw, the post on my blog that gets the post hits--the one about me peeing in the sink. No joke. So disturbing.

Have a great weekend!

Kevin said...

Thanks for the reminder. I have to remember to set the dvr up to tape it before I head off on vacation

N.D. said...

I was thinking about the recliner chair, I have to get a nice and comfy rocking one that reclines and I have no problem doing that!! :) thanks for the tips!