Saturday, June 21, 2008

Austin Belterra (Super) Sprint Triathlon Race Report

Austin’s hills chewed me up and spit me out. It used and abused me. It beat me like a red headed step child. Do you get the picture yet?






race course pics

I picked up the race packet Friday and was stunned to find a bib and a latex cap, not even a map. Really, that is all I get for my 70 bucks?! Can you throw a girl a sample of anything? How about a tee shirt? Are they not aware that race tees is how I show everyone that this chick tri-s her darndest to swim, bike and run.




I got there a little after transition opened. There was a kid’s tri first, but they really did not state if and when the transition area would close so I was there super early. I hung around for a couple of hours and watched the kids. I thought about getting Lil Buster registered a while back but I knew the 50 meter swim would be a little much for my chunkster. I saw a 5 year old tri rockstar. This kid would put his cycling shoes while on the ride. He looked at me and said, “Where is the mount line?” At 5, I was looking for my Barbie’s shoes.

Shane busted me checking out some tri guys legs

Swim 300 meters 9:18.3 (3:06/100m)
I was nervous about the pool swim, being that I had no idea how pool swims work out at a tri. At 9AM they started getting the sprint group to the pool. It was already getting into the 90’s, but it is cool. Remember I believe I am officially acclimated (Using the words of the month in combo format. How ya like them apples?) Our bib numbers were in ascending order of swim times. Needless to say I was one of the last ones in the pool at 9:26AM. The swim went down pretty much as I expected, consistently slow. I got passed once and passed one person.

Transitions were timed into events

Bike: 9 miles 44:31.8 (12.13/mph)
My time looks like I was enjoying a Sunday leisurely ride on a cruiser by a beach boardwalk. I wasn’t too thrilled with running my bike up a steep driveway to the mount line. The hills were everywhere along the course, small rolling hills, long rolling hills. steep inclines, short inclines (I can do the Bubba Gump shrimp types here all day). I struggled the whole ride. Each time I would look at my pace and got disgusted. I think I saw a 4mph on one hill. Many people around me (meaning they were about my level) were walking their bike up the hills. I just couldn’t do it. I would be chapped at myself for enjoying the downhill without really earning it. It was a short race. I did not have to save my legs for a ½ marathon or more distance it was a nice sweet 3 miler. I was going to meet the hills head on no pussy footing around them. I met them and then they would have their way with me.

Run: 3 miles 35:11.9 (11:43)
I just knew I was just disappointed with myself after that bike. I even started walking the run?! Oh yea, Viv that is the way to make up some time. The paparazzi (Shane) caught me on the run out. It is hard to understand, but I said “Don’t tape me honey. I expletive suck today.” Shane said, "Come on babe." Me, "No." I love the paparazzi! It is like Britney not going to Starbucks anymore, it just isn’t natural.

I started running after a 1/10 of a mile. I really had it out for this poor lady (we will call her Danskin. While waiting for the swim she kept telling me, at Danskin they did this and at Danskin they did that). If I did not catch Danskin it would have killed me. I caught Danskin a little before the water stop and then Danskin picked up the pace. I guess she had it out for me too. LOL! At the water stop I turned off wrong and took the kid’s route. Duh! They yelled,” Ma’am, wrong way!” I came back, and Danskin had taken the lead (at this point in my head it was just me and Danskin, baby!) I picked Danskin out shortly after.

Total Time: 1:29.02

Overall, the swim is what I expected from myself. I am terribly disappointed with the bike leg. The run, not too shabby. Those Tuesday nights at the track are doing sumfin to me Coach Bill, trust me.

Going to chillax the rest of the weekend and prepare myself for the next 18 weeks of serious training. I am looking forward to working hard while guided by an amazing Coach K!

They handed out the tee shirts when you crossed the finish line. Do you think it will let others know I do tri's? LOL!

48 comments:

Nat said...

Congrats on getting it done. (Sucks about no race shirt.)

I'm toying with singing up for one this fall. Toying. :)

CoachLiz said...

Girl,

I can feel your pain on those hills!!!

You ROCK for knocking that race out in the heat we had today. Tell Coach Bill I said HI!

E said...

You got out there and did it! I can only imagine how killer the rolling hills must have been, but YOU DID IT! Congrats!

Jill said...

Great job! Just think how far you have come in the past year!! I think you did awesome and I love the shirt!

Melissa said...

Congrats on finishing another tri! :-)

Lily on the Road said...

Way to go girlfriend!

I suppose they figure you only get the shirt if you really deserve it!! By finishing, LMAO!!

Love the little guy, way to start them young...

Anonymous said...

CONGRATS AND A BIG WOO HOO for you.

so impressed, V.

MizFit

Marcy said...

Oooooohhhh girl I can ONLY imagine how you must have felt if you said "No" to the paparazzi. That's just not right ;-)

CONGRATS on gettin er done, baby! You totally rock no matter how you do ;-)

Jess said...

At least you got the shirt. I was gonna seriously say "what?" if you didn't get a shirt at all.

LOL at the video! That would be me. Except I'd probably also through in some hand gestures for emphasis.

Congrats on getting it done! You rock.

Robin said...

If I didn't get a shirt at one of my races, I'd pitch a fit. Seriously, if I'm gonna suffer like that I want the goods!

Great job on the race, Viv. Biking hills sucketh assith!

C said...

You kick ass! I can barely swim, so I have HUGE amounts of respect for you doing tri-s.

Congrats on gettin er done!

chia said...

You're so sweet when you're thoroughly unamused :-D! Great job girly!!!

Anonymous said...

Viv, stop being so hard on yourself, you did fantastic, and there is nowhere to go from here but up. Great job!!!

Anonymous said...

I like how you had your own race going with Ms. Danskin! Good job. Glad to hear you got your t-shirt, wear it proud.

P.O.M. said...

Way to go for not pussy footin' on them damn hills. You'll get Danskin next time and tell her "one time at band camp..."

Delane said...

Congrats on finishing.

I don't think I can swim 100 meters witout gasping for air!

An woot on finally getting shirt..I would have been peeved!

Unknown said...

You have my respect, dudette !!! You totally rock it !!! Holy moly !!! Thats fabulous !!! You are making me think about doing Tri ! I have never done a Tri and now still thinking about it. Congrats for getting the job done !

AnnaBanana said...

Holy freaking crap you have come such a LONG way in the SHORT time I've know you -- you rock!!

Anonymous said...

WOW! I think you did an awesome job! Cool Tshirt too..congrats on a job well done.

teacherwoman said...

Nice job, Viv! I think you did awesome! Great race report!

TRI TO BE FUNNY said...

Damn--nothing subtle about that shirt! Spunds like you truly earned that one baby! Congrats on the finish...

Unknown said...

Viv Honey you are way to hard on yourself. You went out there and finished it even if it was not your day. Most people would not even "tri" let alone complete it.

You are still my tri hero and my "fat girls can do tri's" inspiration. You ROCK!

paige said...

Great Job Viv!! You are absolutly AMAZING!

I always think about the story of Lil Buster and Shane cheering you on from....the porch was it?? When you were training for your first
5k a jillion years ago. You were beating yourself up, even then, because you were struggling to make the block.

Come to think of it that wasn't a jillion years ago. It was only 1...imagine that : )

I don't think those hills busted your ass at all...you took them by storm!

Diario de Elysia said...

LMAO Vivi, that video is funny. I HATE hills. But you done good kid!

Jessica said...

Great job Viv...you're my new hero! And that video was freaking hilarious.

Bob - BlogMYruns.com said...

I will be there in 11 day 6 hrs. 14 sec. but who is counting.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
LOL have a great time in Hollywood FL...and ya that Westin was pretty sweet...da pancakes are da bomb :-)

Congrats on ur TRI...love the SHirt!!

and too funny on the video, Way to get it done & to keep it real and post that vid !! You Rock!!

Timmy said...

That's funny about you and Danskin. For years I've had it in for somebody and wouldn't you know it? I saw him again this morning at Memorial Park. I'm sure he saw my rolling my eyes at him.

Glad you got the t-shirt. With those big letters on it, you might start getting ready for a bunch of questions. :-)

Congrats on finishing!

TX Runner Mom said...

Way to go on sticking it out on those hills! I woulda been walking my bike. You gotter done and that, my friend, is something to be damn proud of!

Erin Leigh said...

I am so impressed!! It didn't sound like lots of fun but you did it!!!

I agree, you are awfully nice when pissed. I wouldn't be able to post a video of me in a similar situation cause you all might have an intervention and have me committed.

Anonymous said...

At least you got there in the end. It sucks when things just aren't going right, but the best way to get stronger is to push through the tough ones... easier said than done, but hey, we all try our best!!! You can't ask for any more than that.

Unknown said...

Girl my sister lives in Austin and every time we go visit I am reminded of the hills. You are more woman than I... You BEAT them! Congrats and great job. You inspire me!

Melissa said...

You did great Viv. I love how you had it in for Danskin and the papparazzi had it in for "the shark" lol. That and some lady that seriously followed us everywhere we went to go cheer for you.

Kelly said...

Awesome job Viv!

Kevin said...

Great job making yourself ride up those hills while others walked. Go you passing Danskin not once, but twice

Unknown said...

Great Job Viv! LOL...I love the race report. Austin Hills suck it big time. But you did great. What a fun weekend.

18 weeks of training....bring it on!

Wes said...

Very cool! The race that is. I don't know how you guys do it in that heat! Phew!!!! Congrats on beating Danskin. That, in and of itself, is a proud moment :-)

Nancy said...

Oh those pesky paparazzi. :D Great job getting it done. The run looks great to me after a really tough bike leg. You should be really proud.

Hy-Vee Olympic Tri was here this weekend and I wanted to do it SOOOOO bad but didn't think it was wise to commit to something that big coming off the trip. Maybe next year and you can coach me!

Great work!!

muscles in motion said...

Girl - don't be ashamed of the 4 mph...be proud! You stayed on your bike and got through it which shows you've got the mental snap that is needed to be part of this group!

Mistyfied said...

Way to go girl.. Will you be at the track on Tuesday?

Yes Pilates has helped me with my running. I love it.

J~Mom said...

OH my gosh!! That little video just CRACKED me up!!! I *heart* you.

Girl!! YOU ROCK!!! You are just like a natural at this stuff now. There will be races with tough spots but you did it! You didn't give up and you rock!!!

Mendy said...

Viv!!! Great job, chic!!! You did great, just the fact that you're doing all these triathlons is just awesome. Those hills looked like they suck bad.

Congrats on your race finish! On to Oly, huh? Wow. I'm just super impressed. Setting the bar high.

N.D. said...

Wow, way to go !! That's major BS about no goodie bag or shirt!

Jess said...

Congrats on finishing! Even though the hills were killer you didn't walk your bike and that's awesome!

Nitmos said...

No race shirt? No beer either. Tsk, tsk. Well, congratulations getting it done anyhow!

Dan Seifring aka "OBRATS" said...

Great job in the race. I hate hills.

Wear your shirt proudly.

Teacher Pursuits said...

Good for you. You are so inspiring... I am toying with this whole tri thing but... I am AFRAID of the transitions. :)

triguyjt said...

no race shirt...what the heck????

okay so the hills were tough..thats okay..you will improve...

keep staring at those buff tri guys legs too much and your'll go blind.

Tobi said...

you are my inspiration!