Sunday, May 18, 2008

Why Cleveland? Rocks N' Runs 1/2 Marathon Report



Photo & Video Slide Show


That was the question I got from so many. On the course, friends and family at home, hell even strangers. It started back in November when I told an online We Wa pal, Maria I had the desire to do a marathon, but I wanted to start with a ½. She encouraged me that I could do it. I did not even know how to start to train for something of that caliber. Maria, took the time to make me a fantastic training schedule with 3 days of running since running consecutive days is a no-no from the Doc. Maria, would check up on me, and I would text her when I would hit monumental mileage. It was awesome to have someone take me under their running wing.

As, this race neared I never really got nervous. I felt prepared, and excited. That is till race morning. It started out really cold, high 40’s and raining. I am from Texas people where that kind of weather makes for a Blockbuster night, with the fireplace going, and flannel pj’s. I had made sure to charge the iPod, but when I got to the start line I looked at the iPod. I had left it on all night so it was dead. I handed it to Shane pouted for a second, and he said, “Are you really going to freak out about that.” I can do short runs without music, but 13.1 miles and 3 hours of running seemed intimidating without musical encouragement, or a musically induced comma.

Miles 1-4: I ran about 2 miles with a brother and sister. We talked, and of course they asked the mandatory, “Why Cleveland?” I started feeling good, the legs were warming up and we parted ways. Then came some hills, and even a freeway entrance ramp. WTF? I hate driving up a freeway ramp with a stick shift much less my legs! I remember what Coach Joan from PIM said, walk through the aid stations no need for me to miss my mouth while drinking water or sucking GU.

Miles 5-9: I was still feeling good. The course had flattened out, and the sun was coming out. I would keep looking for Shane, but never saw him. I never really talked to anyone through these miles, just taking in the scenery of a new city. They did have a few rock n roll stations and each represented a decade of music. At, the Motown section I remember doing a little shimmy to “Baby Love” with the lady next to me. I only made it to the 70’s since it followed the rest of the marathoners. So, I got some Eagles “Take It to The Limit” action that I love.

Miles 10-13.1: I was starting to feel tightening of the legs. There was one smaller incline to go. North Bridge, but I had looked at my clock and I knew I was making good time so why the hell would I slow down now?! I ran next to this man at the beginning of 10 who told me, “You’re huffing.” I replied, “I will huff and puff till I blow this ½ out.” I guess I get smart asstastatic when I get tired. I finally saw Shane at 11ish, it was a big pep up that got me through 12 easily. I am not going to lie though, I felt terrible at 13. It was tough, and I looked like it was tough. My stomach got into some weird knot, and my legs were wound up tight.

I still am proud of myself. I accomplished something I worked hard to do. I made my mind up that I would see this through and gosh darn it I did. I set a realistic goal for myself to do it under 3 hours, and I thought 2:45 would be terrific, but when I saw 2:42:23 I said, hellyeamuthafuckas!! I did my longest run during training of 12 miles at 2:58:17. So, now you understand why less than 3 hours would have made me very happy.

I did fall walking on our way back to the hotel. I saw the uneven concrete, and thought I lifted my foot. I guess I did'nt.

I felt miserable for about 3 hours after my shower. My stomach was just a tight knot. I could not hold down any food. It finally went away, and I am good now. The flights home left me feeling tighter. I will continue streching, and some walking tomorrow. I will catch up with you guys tomorrow. I hope eveyone had a great weekend. Looking forward to some other reports.

Why Cleveland ?
At, first I was going to Cleveland to run a ½. What it turned out to be was a fabulous weekend with great people, and I just happen to run a ½ Marathon.
Why NOT Cleveland.

Official Results:
Distance
HALF MAR /13.1 Miles /21K
Chip Time
02:42:23
Overall Place
2892 / 8007
Gender Place
1483 / 3942
Division Place
254 / 629
Age Grade
83.9%
Pace
12:23.1

Garmin Splits :
Mile 1 (12:18)
Mile 2 (12:30)
Mile 3 (13:11)
Mile 4 (12:06)
Mile 5 (11:44)
Mile 6 (12:42)
Mile 7 (12:16)
Mile 8 (12:24)
Mile 9 (13:26)
Mile 10 (11:45)
Mile 11 (12:17)
Mile 12(11:58)
Mile 13(11:52)
Mile .18 (11:06)

47 comments:

Unknown said...

Viv you and Shane are so awesome. I had a blast this weekend. You kicked but on this run and I hope you come back and run this race next year. SMOOCHES

Nancy said...

OMG, Vivalicious. You so rocked and the little slide show was the sweetest thing ever. I totally bawled happiness for you. I loved it. You can be so proud of yourself.

Rest and recover well!!

XOXO

Marcy said...

YYYEEEEHHAWWWW Baby! Awesome job Viv!! ;D ;D You totally rocked that baby out ;D ;D I'm so proud of you! And 2:42?!? Sweetness!!

Al's CL Reviews said...

Awesome, Viv. I'm so proud/jealous of you!

Kevin said...

Great job you really rocked that race. The slide show was impressive. Great idea on the ice bath.

CoachLiz said...

Congratulations Viv!!!

What an accomplishment! There is nothing that you cannot do now girl. Heck why don't you join me and start training for the BIG DANCE and do the San Antonio Rock n' Roll Marathon on November 16th. You are already half way there and you have 6 months to get the rest of the miles under your belt.

TNT has a Woodlands group! Think of the possibilities!!!

Girl with a Problem said...

You are freakin' amazing! Woohoo and congrats on not just completing the 1/2, but on kicking it's butt!

You are a superhero!

Karen said...

Viv, you are amazing. WTG on this half. Glad is was a great time.

Timmy said...

Great recap and great finish!

Margo said...

Great job!!! Go get a massage to help loosen up the soreness.

MePlusMyThree said...

Great Job Viv!!

I forgot you were in Houston - we need to get together for a run....and maybe some post run Martinis.

Anonymous said...

You have no idea how proud I am of you Viv! You did GREAT but I knew you would!

~paige

AnnaBanana said...

Way to go!!

Look at how far you've come so quick! You're awesome!

Robin said...

WTFG Viv! That's a great time, especially considering what your goal was. WOW! I'm totally impressed (and jealous, at the moment). I hope I can do the same sometime soon. You should be so proud of yourself!

Anonymous said...

Great job! I got all misty-eyed watching your video/slideshow.

You are an inspiration...

:)

Tammy said...

Fantastic, Viv!
I loved the slide show, and even I- non cryer that I am- got a little misty.

Another amazing accomplishment from an amazing person.

Delane said...

This deserves a triple woot!

WOOT! WOOT! WOOT!

TX Runner Mom said...

Awesome job Viv! Love the video...you did not look tired at all at mile 11! Wooohoooo!!!!

Unknown said...

AWESOME..AWESOME..AWESOME.. WTG !!! Great post race report and I love the slide show and the video, too. Terrific!! Hat off to you for a terrific race. Happy Recovering!!!

Jen said...

You kick serious butt, Viv! I am so proud of you.. very inspirational. ROCK ON, woman!

Wes said...

Stupendous!! I am SOOO excited for you! You did awesome. Thanks for the shout out too! I really appreciate your support, sister :-)

Tiggs said...

wtg viv! why not cleveland indeed! ditto Coach Liz- you're ready to train for a full now. San Antonio or Houston perhaps?

way to rock it out! that ice bath looked scary though! hehehe!

Yasmin said...

whoo hooo! WTG, Viv!

I'm so happy for you. So when are you doing your marathon? I gotta update my plan for being like Viv.

Shane said...

Viv, I can't express how proud I am for all of your accomplishments so far. You have been committed to training and it shows. Keep going strong and I'll be right beside you cheering you along...or maybe even running by your side...Love Shane

Melissa said...

Congratulations sis!!

Anonymous said...

you rule, sister!! and i have to tell you, i did chuckle about the knee. not that you were injured, but the fact that you can run 13.1 miles unscathed yet not walk properly.

you are awesome. get some rest now!

Nitmos said...

Way to go!

Figures, an injury AFTER the race. The running gods like to tease.

Carly said...

Woooo hoooooo Viv!!!!! Nice job, you kicked butt on this race. Fabulous slide show!!!!!

P.O.M. said...

Yeah! I'm so excited for you.
What a great post. I'm glad it all went so well (minus the little falling part).

Anonymous said...

WTG Viv!!!

Maria said...

Viv I am so proud of you! You did a fantastic job and the weekend just wouldn't have been the same without you and Shane.

And remember my philosophy...if you can run 13.1, you can run 26.2. I'm thinking you should come back next year to do your first full here. I'd run with ya the whole time if you wanted :)

Again, way to fucking go!!

Pokey said...

Way to ROCK that half, Viv!!!

Although I have to say - who actually kicks ass all the way through a half mary and then falls on the way to the parking lot??? :P (sorry...it just had to be said, LOL!!)

Just tell people the wound is from when you had to shove all the slow, pokey runners out of your way ;)

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!

Christine said...

great job!! it was a fun half wasnt it? I just had a tough time with frustrations with my knees. Enjoy your medal! Its the coolest I've gotten by far!! haha

Jess said...

Great job Viv!! Congrats!

J~Mom said...

WOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Awesome time girl!!!!!!!!!!!! LOVEEEEEEEE the slide show!!!!!! YOU NEED TO COME TO PFCHANG'S!!! K? :>D

CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!!


ps. thanks for saying I looked skinny on the bike! LOL I totally sucked in my gut for that one!

Mendy said...

Ye Haw!!! Viv. What a fantabulous race report! I loved reading every minute of it! and am so proud of you for that finish time. You SOOOOO rocked it, way better than you thought!

Your husband seems so supportive too! Have a GREAT week!!!

triguyjt said...

viv...sorry I did not bump into you sometime on race day..but hey...9,000 people or something...

Way to GOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!
2:42 Fantastic.. You set a goal and you reached it. The sky is the limit!!!!!!

Loved the slide show and even some of the video too. you looked pretty strong when you finished, girl.....
Cool medal, huh???

Props to you!!!!

Anonymous said...

Well done on the half mary - you actually sped up at the end!!! That's just too much for me to comprehend!

Diario de Elysia said...

Awesome finish Vivi! Besos

Pier said...

Viv, it was great to meet you and your loving "stalker" Shane at Maria's pasta pigout! Great job on the 1/2 marathon!

Hope to see you again someday!
Good luck on the rest of your running season!
(and to answer your question...Why NOT Cleveland!!)

E said...

Yahooooo!!!! You did an awesome job!!!! Loved the slideshow, and I too got a little teary eyed as you finished! :)

Anonymous said...

"I will huff and puff till I blow this half out"--I love that!

Anonymous said...

Wow! Go Viv! You are one really determined gal. Great job. :)

oh and LOL @ the weather comment.

Christine said...

Great job in Cleveland!! What a crappy start to the race huh? But it was beautiful by the end. And I absolutely LOVED the medal. Its my favorite yet!!! Keep up the great work...be proud!! Take time to rest. Dont be stupid like me!

Anonymous said...

HOT DAMN GIRLIE!!!
Why didnt I know you were running a 1/2 ?? Oh yeah, cause I dont read enough blogs anymore due to too much work and training and school...

WAY TO GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bob - BlogMYruns.com said...

Vivvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv I'm FIT to Rock a Half Marathon :-)

Oh Baby love the Slide show Chica :-)

You did so awesome, BIG Congrats!! and WOOO HOOO on taking the ICE Bath!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Recover Well Hun, u done good!

\_/ \_/ Cheers

J Duarte said...

I just saw your slide show/video! Congrats you did awesome Viv! :)

That last part as you were crossing the finish line was very inspirational! Cheers! Good Job!

This weekend was the first time I tried an ice down after a long run. That water was sooo COLD!