Monday, May 5, 2008

Productive Weekend

I had a blast volunteering at the CB&I Tri. Coach Bill is a super sweet cool guy. He made sure I met a few people, and we went on a hunt so I could meet Coach Liz, but we missed her. Below are a few pics he took, which I told him he better let a chick know when it's coming so I can suck in, turn to a 45 degree angle, chin down, eyes up, and smile. That just made me think of that song, "Supermodel" work..work it girl, and make love to the camera. LOL! Anyhoo, I did get to cheer on Biker Mom. I gave her a high five, and told her "to run that run". I do find a lack of words when cheering on people. I refuse to say the, almost there. It is just not something I would want to hear unless I could see the finish line. I am pretty sure it was all in the way I said run that run that rocked since she went from a shuffle to a full on run. I even gave myself a pat on the back for avoiding a hot Papa John's slice that was offered to me. There was a bit of tragedy at the event. I saw ambulances drive through transition pretty fast which let me know whatever was going on at the water was serious. I later read in the news that a 51 year old triathlete passed away. My thoughts and prayers have been with his family since that morning.


After, the tri I met my sister at Twin Lakes for an open water swim. I got in 660 yards, and feel prepared for the 200 yard swim at this weekend's Ironbabe. I know I need to really give swimming all I have. After, the 1/2 marathon I will focus more attention to my swimming. Especially since I find myself picking events I will do based solely on the swim distance.

On Sunday my sister and I met for a bike ride. We decided on a 3.5 mile loop. It was a nice loop with only 2 traffic lights. The cyclists can take the right lane, and most people that drive the area stay on the left lane since they are accustomed to the bike traffic. My sister is still a sack of nerves on the bike, and wanted to just do one loop. I convinced her to ride a little more that the bike would become more second nature to her the more she rode. I am glad she stayed, and towards the end of the ride she seemed a little better, that or she was just happy to get outta there. I figure I can always have a riding partner if I don't scare her away from the bike, and what better partner than your sister. After, she left I did a quick loop since I wanted to start the run before it got too hot.

Next, I met Shane for a 5 mile run. It was 11 AM by than so it was hot and the sun was beating down. I talked his ear off for the first mile. He kept ripping off his headphones, and giving me the I wish she would shut the eff up look. He is not keen on the idea of running and talking. So, I piked down and we ran in silence with our iPods, but it was nice to know he was there. I tend to work a little harder when I run with him. I try to show him that I am tougher than him. He let's me believe I am, and that makes me a happy wife. LOL!

Weigh in had me down 3 lbs. this morning so 2 more to take off vacation weight

Saturday's Workout:
Swim
Open Water 660 yards

Sunday's Workout:
Cycle
7.8 Miles 45:38 10.26/mph
3.5 Miles 12:15 17.14/mph
Total = 11.3 miles

Run 5 Miles 59:51 (11:58)
Mile 1 (13:14) -- running the mouth
Mile 2 (12:00)
Mile 3 (11:54)
Mile 4 (11:32)
Mile 5 (11:11)



Swim Start


I still got the butterflies watching the start



Directing( you would not believe the amount of people who almost go the wrong way) & cheering out the runnersAnother Bill who just became an Ironman with his wife in AZ. I met her as well. She is a TNT coach. They had some of the best Ironman reports I have ever read. INSPIRING!

21 comments:

AnnaBanana said...

You look AWESOME!!

And I don't see how you're able to do all that back-to-back exercise -- you really are an inspiration!

I'll go down to Twin Lakes with you sometime. That's where I got my SCUBA certification and have done some kayaking there too.

Did your sister do well at the Cinco run (and did her boyfriend win as he predicted)?

Viv said...

Thanks Anna! My sis did allright at the Cinco run. She said she walked more than she really wanted to. I think 45 minutes. Greg did it in 25 minutes but no win. They did get some cool door prizes though.

Al's CL Reviews said...

You're going to have to come to ATL and get me to start riding my bike. I'm afraid to on the roads.

Timmy said...

Good for you for volunteering! Shane and I would be good running buddies. I don't like to talk either and if I do it the sentences usually are very short. :-)

Wes said...

That is a great weekend! First off, congratulations on persevering through your long run. Most people don't realize that during training, its more important to get the mileage in than it is to get it in at a faster pace :-) You did awesome! Walk, crawl, woggle, do whatever it takes.

Kudos to you for volunteering. I really enjoyed volunteering at IM Florida. You should try to do one of those someday. Be careful though, the bug might bite ya ;-)

It's really sad when a triathlete passes away during an event. It affects everyone. So sad...

Congrats on the weight loss! Keep workin it, girlfriend!!

Margo said...

You could always shout "Do It!" or "Julie!" - whichever works for you. ;-)

Bill D said...

Thanks for helping Saturday. We had the best volunteer crew that we've had yet in the 5 years of the event, plus I got to meet you.

It was both a great day and at the same time a very sad day with the passing of the triathlete during the event. Please keep his wife and son in your prayers.

Marcy said...

I know exactly what you mean by the "almost there" comment. Unless I see the finish, please don't tell me that LOL. Chances are, I probably have about 10 more miles to go ROFLMAO!

I think the no talking thing must be a "man thing" because Mr McG was not happy with my talking either LOL

CONGRATS on the weight loss! ;D ;D

Anonymous said...

You had me laughing with the picture pose and the Shane run. LOL Great post and keep up the good work! 3 lbs gone, baby!!

E said...

Wow you had a busy busy weekend! Good for you for getting all that done! Love the pics.

J Duarte said...

Wooo Hoo Viv! I always want to volunteer, but it turns out I'm always running a race.. One day I'll try to volunteer. :)

Thanks for the comment! Yes Im pumped from my new time. Only getting better.

By the way good job on the weight loss. woo hoo you are looking awesome!

Bob - BlogMYruns.com said...

Way to get out and Volunteer Viv, looked like an awesome event!!

Nancy said...

Work it...work it.....
gut in, chest out that's what I always say! hee hee (and lots of lipstick for good measure!)

You look great and looks like it was a lot of fun. I've never volunteered but that would be really cool. One time someone yelled "Hey Polka dot" to me when I was running. I had a polka dot headband on. It totally made my day for some reason. Ha, guess it doesn't take much.

:D

So sad about the athlete. Life is so short.

Happy Cinco de Mayo...

triguyjt said...

"We ran in silence with our Ipods"
Thats funny.

way to volunteer.... and yes, I understand what you mean about the "almost there"...

J Duarte said...

Thanks!

Yeah me too. I like the picture Ian took.. So I added it to my blog header

What I did was went to customize/ layout

under header I clicked on edit, a pop up appears..

browse for the image you want to add

placement I choose behind title and description

and save changes

Mendy said...

((clapping)) for volunteering! I want to volunteer this year sometime at a race.

Pictures are great! and your workouts are looking GREAT!

That's sad about the triathlete. So sad.

TX Runner Mom said...

WTG volunteering! LOL at the tougher than Shane thing...I'd do the same thing if my hubby would run with me.

TWRunner said...

Thanks for volunteering at CB&I. What a great race!

Best of luck at Ironbabe and can't wait to hear your race report.

J~Mom said...

You are awesome!!!!!! Great weekend! I read about that triathlete that died...so sad.

CoachLiz said...

Viv,

I am so sorry that I missed you! I came up from the swim exit and then hung out on the bridge on the run by the finish.

I had to leave early for a work related training. I was glad that I got to see Bill Crews but I missed seeing Bill Dwyer and Dana-Sue.

Good Luck this weekend! I will be trying to get in a ride since Switzerland is only 25 days away.

WalkSports.com said...

The red head to the right of you in the second picture is my daughter, Waverly! :)