I had a weekend wrap up post lined up for Tuesday, but was waiting for my Mom to send me some pictures to post with it. Furniture stores keep extending their "Memorial Day Sales" so, here is an extended Memorial Day post.
This past weekend my Mom asked me to play racquetball with her. Cut to, me burning some calories chasing a blue ball on Saturday. We played pairs on Sunday with my sister and her boyfriend, and that was a blue ball fest. I think we all got nailed by the ball a few times, and it felt like a bee sting. By, Monday morning my right forearm was sorer than a 12 year old boy.When we got in the car Saturday the easy listening station was playing, "Should've Known Better" by Richard Marx. Man, did it take me back. It is always amazing to me how one song can place me somewhere in my life... It was June 1987, I was 14 and we were moving from Miami to Houston since my Dad got a job transfer. My Dad and my sister were in one car leading while my Mom and me followed in her car. That car was so cool to me! It had a gazillion buttons, and to this day if a car has more knobs than a cockpit it is fancy to me. I bought a Richard Marx cassette at a vending machine at one of those stops along the Florida Turnpike. I was playing with the buttons on the radio and discovered a repeat button. I put on, "Should've Known Better" and after listening to it about 10 times I fell asleep. I awoke in Georgia somewhere with the same song playing. My Mom gave me this distraught look and said something like this, mind you it has been 20 years so it may not be verbatim but I remembered it like it was yesterday when I heard the song.
Mom: (in Spanish) Can you turn that song off! I have heard it at least 100 times!
Me: (smartass, in English) You could have turned off the radio.
Mom: (in Spanish) I don't know how to turn it off.
Me: (smartass, in English)You should have woke me up.
Mom: (in Spanish) I didn't want to wake you.
Me: (smartass, in English) You could have turned off the radio.
Mom: (in Spanish) I don't know how to turn it off.
Me: (smartass, in English)You should have woke me up.
Mom: (in Spanish) I didn't want to wake you.
Snazzy shot of the family in Texas. It felt like a whole other country to me. If you have ever been in Miami you will get the whole other country feeling as well. I am on the left. I look tall it must be those groovy Jesus sandals I had on or the big hair.
How sweet! Back then I was like whatevas lady! I now look back at that moment, and think my Mom listened to a song 100 times just not to wake me from sleeping in the middle of the afternoon. I love you Mom for putting up with me all those torturous teenage years. I would not trade the close relationship we have now for anything in this world. We still can push each others buttons, but it is probably cause we are two of a kind.
Is there a song to this day that can take you back so vividly to a time in your life???
We had a wonderful weekend hanging at my parent's casa this weekend. My parents have pretty much created a backyard oasis that is meant for serious chillaxing, and great times with the familia. This past weekend fell nothing short of that!
There is still time to join the Independence Weight Loss Challenge. We have had some sponsors come through with some pretty great prizes.


24 comments:
Music has a way of triggering old memories... LOL... Lucky for us most of them are good ones!! Perhaps you look tall in that picture cause your family is all short ;-) Just kiddin!!! Don't hit me :-D
There are so many songs that take me back in time. It is funny how they trigger such memories.
Take care of your achillies. Sounds like you had a fun weekend. And, how cool playing racquetball with your mom!
There are many songs that take me back as well...too many to list!
Your parents backyard does look like an oasis -- fun times!
When are you gonna be in Ft Lauderdale? Business or pleasure? Do you have time to sync up for a run, or a beer? Shoot me an email if you want to, or have time to, get together.
LMAO at Jesus sandals! The more I read your blog Viv, the more I just love you. I need to find my way to Houston.
Take care of that achillies.
I can go back to that skating rink in a heart beat :D
OMFG HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAH "Jesus sandals" Ohh Viv how I love you!
I didn't know you were bilingual. Ahhh I learn something new everyday!
But yes, many a song take me back to the good ole days (if that's what you want to call it. I mean seriously how good could it have really been sporting some of those latest fashions LOL)
What a nice post about your mom.
I need to come and chillax at your parents' oasis.
I hope your mom reads this post!
I'm going to see SATC @ Alamo West Oaks Sunday afternoon if you want to join us.
Still debating on the Astro's 5K - that's the first day of 1/2 marathon training with Houston Fit (for San Antonio in Nov) and I don't really like the 5K distance BUT the Astro's 5K is the Houston Strider's run of the quearter, so it would only cost me $7. I love me a deal!
I'll walk it with you if you promise to show up!
what a beautiful backyard!! You should do the chattanooga waterfront tri with us!! :) :)
I loved this post! There are a gazillion songs that take me back...and I totally dig that hair.
Oh and I almost spit my coffee out on the 12 year old boy comment. NICE! LOL
oh viv, i love when you do "cut to me"....LOL
there are several songs that do that for me...it's always a good feeling when that happens ;)
@nancy- most of my song related memories take me back to the skating rink too!!!
Are we the same age? I swear I had that hair AND that dress. Not those shoes though. LOL I think I wore jellies with that dress.
My sister have the bestest memory evah and it is all around the song, "Feliz Navidad". Did I spell that right? It's too long of a story to type out but it's a good one. LOL
Oooh homegirl sorry! I totally didn't forget about you! I just edited my post for the WLC. Oy, I should just stop posting in the AM. Not enough time for the Mom Juice to kick in :P
Don't ask me why but I remember you buying a tape out of the vending machine. I think I've told people this (in a remember when vending machines sold cassettes?)and nobody remembers the tape vending, its a shame. I must sound like a crazy person lol. I like my weird pose in the picture, I still still roll around on the sides of my feet too.
HAHAHA I know you do sis! You get it from Mom she used to have a pair of shoes molded in a roll out shape.
Your parents' backyard oasis is beautiful!
Great post. Your mom sounds awesome!
Your parent's place is gorgeous! And I'm giggling at the Jesus sandals :)
Jesus sandals. Too funny!
That backyard looks like paradise, girl! I remember that song.
I'm so excited about the weightloss challenge! You are awesome for putting this on, of course, with the help of Poke.
LMAO! About the song! Mine was Foolish Beat by Debbie Gibson. I liked it so much that I made my family do a mock music video to it. They wanted the Beatles, I got Debbie Gibson. LMAO!!!
Take care of your achillies. That doesn't sound like a fun injury to recover from.
Also, can you tell your parents that I am coming next week to "chillax" by their pool! That is beautiful!
I love the big hair pic! Any songs from the 80s take me back.
Hope your foot is better and you're back on track soon!
"blue ball fest"...uh, no comment. :-)
About the songs, I have a song for everyday of my life... LOL...and most of them are showtunes. and yes, you know that I even have songs in my dreams. It is funny how I can hear a song and it will take me to certain place in time.
LMAO
*shaking fist in the air*
DAMN YOU VIV!! Now I have, "Hold On To The Night" stuck in my head!
~paige
Hi Vivi,
As you know, I am very proud of you, even though I do not write on your blog frequently, I always making comments to my friends and family of the things you have done and the determination you have in reaching your goals and changing your style of life forever.
Mother’s Day was a very special day for me, well all days are special, but this one in particular when I saw you making the triathlon I could not believe what I was seen as
I was very nervous in seeing you under that cold choppy water in the Lake, as well as seeing Melissa your sister as she also participated even though she suffers from Asthma.
Honestly I was very worried for both of you and then seeing both of you succeed was a very emotional moment. Even just going in that cold choppy Lake was a great accomplishment and I tip my hat to both of you.
Now that I see your Blog I could not resist placing my very humble comments as you know it comes from the heart.
Thanks you for taking me back to some wonderful moments of our family journey. It is incredible that so many years have past. As the Argentine Tango singer Carlos Gardel used to say “20 Years is nothing”.
I would also like to take this opportunity to thank all your friends for the wonderful comments of our Oasis at our Home. The most wonderful thing is the time we spend as a family on the weekends. To your friends, if they are in the Houston area they are welcome to our home. In Spanish there is a saying “Mi casa es tu Casa”.
As I was finishing writing to the blog I received a message in my Blackberry of you with the Astros mascot racing in the field. This is incredible; it never ceases to amaze me.
TQM … (Spanish abbreviation) I love you!
P.S. Don’t ever change
Mami
LOL, I had the same hair and very similar sandals back in the day. We were so stinkin' stylish! I think I am going to have that friggin song stuck in my head now.
Hope that achillies gets better pronto!!!
Post a Comment