Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Seabrook Lucky Trail 1/2 Marathon Relay Report

I will start by saying, I am totally sick…I think! I don’t know if its allergies or just a monster wicked cold coming. I really have not been knocked on to the bed like this in a while. Marcy, I know what your thinkin’ homie! I just know I am congested and runny at the same time. My head feels like a hot air balloon, and I don’t know if I am sore from swimming or flu like soreness. My workouts sucked yesterday, I was spent after 300 yards, and cut spin class short. I never cut spin class short, are you kidding, and have those other peeps look at me like a quitter…NEVER, but I did!

Here are my concerns, and I hope you guys can help me with it. I had 5 miles on the schedule today, 8 miles on Friday, and my last long ride on Thursday in addition to my first and only open water swim before the race this Saturday. I am in bed now feeling like all my powers are leaving me. I know I HAVE to do that swim on Saturday. I HAVE to. I can’t go in to this tri with never swimming in the open water, much less the ocean. I mean the only thing I have done in the ocean besides peeing freely, is tread water. Will, I still have my powers for this tri if I skip my runs, and maybe this bike ride tomorrow???? My times have tapered this week, but not a full blown taper till next week. I now have fear for this tri. I hate this feeling that I have worked so hard, and now have a chance of complete failure.

Now, on to the Seabrook Lucky Trail ½ Marathon Relay report. I felt great; Anna (her report) did really well. I don’t even know what she was worried about with this race. I went second so it was HOT (high 70’s) when I started, not very hot it surely gets hotter here, but it is the hottest I have run with longer distances. Last summer I was still doing walking/running intervals trying to achieve a full 3 miles without walking. I think that is what caused my running outta gas feeling towards the end.

It was a wonderful course, with lots of aid stations fully stocked with water, Gatorade, oranges, bananas, Vaseline, wet towels, and lots of cheer!
The after party had massages, a delicious cook out, music, and lots of chairs. I will definitely be checking out in doing the full ½ there next year. I don’t mean to sound like a race snob, but you start sorting out the crappy events from those worthy of a repeat, and this got 2 thumbs up in my short event book!
I also got my first lil’ medal…YAA! The pictures I pirated from Anna’s blog. Thanks Anna, for being an awesome paparazzo, and a fantastic relay pard!

Seabrook Lucky Trail ½ Marathon Relay
6.61 Miles Time 1:22 Avg Pace (12:33)
Mile 1 (12:20)
Mile 2 (12:26)
Mile 3 (13:18)
Mile 4 (12:19)
Mile 5 (13:01)
Mile 6 (12:10)
Mile .61 (7:22)

Tuesday’s Workout:
BRICK
28 minute swim
(1) 100 yd (1) 500 yd (4) 50 yd sprints (1) 100 yd
29 minutes of spin class

14 comments:

Timmy said...

hmmm...get as much rest as you can. When I got sick I noticed that the more I slept and rested the better I got to feeling. If you don't rest these next couple of days or so you might end up doing more harm than good.

See how you're feeling on Friday before you decide about your swim on Saturday. Just 2cents worth. :-)

And I hope you get to feeling better!

Amy@RunnersLounge said...

Take it easy! The stuff that is going around will really punish you if you push it before you are ready. The best thing to remember is that you are ready (already) and those last few runs and swim is just the icing on the cake - they are for the mental benefit.

I have done 11 tri's and have done all pool swimming training and then open water events. No matter how many times I have done them - the feeling of standing at the water's edge that morning can be a bit intimidating. Even if you can't do a full swim and you feel up to it in the next week - do try to get in the water and just get the feel. Don't do it as a physical training swim - but a mental one. About 30% of all TRI swimmers get freaked out for the swim at times - so know it is ok and worst thing that happens is you doggie paddle, breast stroke and side stroke until you find your stride. With a sprint TRI, just remind yourself it is only 10-15 minutes of the whole experience and you can do anything for that long.

Hope you are feeling better - take care!

Amy

triguyjt said...

just rest up...

dont push it... you have enough fitness level to tackle the race..

of all the races, i have done...more than 100 tris...i always get in the water and compose myself before the race...
it always works...
so..take it easy..get better..and then have a great race

Bill D said...

You are not going to lose any fitness by taking today, tomorrow and Friday off. If you did lose fitness, which you won’t, you would still be better off rested and healthy and a little under trained.

I would suggest that after taking today and tomorrow off, IF you feel good Friday maybe do a 3 miler but that's it if you do anything. If you feel good Saturday do the open water swim for confidence. Then follow your taper schedule.

You’ll be fine for the event. You’ll do great.

Pete Pfitzinger has a good report on what happens when you stop training. www.pfitzinger.com/labreports/detraining.shtml

E said...

Awesome job on the relay. Hope you feel better soon!

Margo said...

I agree. Rest, rest, rest! You've done your training. If you push it now, you can do more harm by the time the tri comes up.

Mendy said...

Amy gave some awesome advice for the open water swim. I am soooo intimidated right now for it, but I'll be swimming in the open water before to get my head mentally prepared, hopefully. I think you're gonna do fine, even if you have to skip some workouts to get better. Hang in there and get better soon!

LOVED the race report and I think you did wonderful!!!! The pictures are wonderful too. You don't sound race snobby at all. I try to pick out some of the best races too!! nothing wrong with that.

AnnaBanana said...

Poor Baby!!

We all missed you at PIM tonight! Trish, Sarah, Brenda and even Manny all asked if you were there. It's not the same without you babe!
I figured it had to be major to keep you from winning a perfect attendance prize -- I know how you like your freebies!

Best advice I can give is listen to your body....and get that nasty sinus rinse thing! It's beyond gross, but man it works great! I finally got one 2 days before the half & I'm so glad I did and wished I had done it sooner.

If I can pull out a 1/2 marathon after having pneumonia, you'll rock the tri after this small bout of sickness (you're much better than me anyway!).

Faça a Diferença !!! said...

Blog is wonderful.

Congratulations,
Ricardo Sergio
Make the Difference!
http://facaadiferenca.blogspot.com

Nancy said...

Hey you, nice first medal and nice running!! Great job!! That is so awesome. Look at the amazing progress in one year.

Get some rest, you are not building up anything at this point, just maintaining. You are going to be fine. Re-evaluate day to day but don't push it. Amy is very wise, maybe do one open water for mental comfort swim if you can swing it. If I can do it, you can do it, you are training way more than me. You are going to ROCK!!!

Jess said...

Congrats on your half of the relay team! Looks like you did awesome.

As per the upcoming tri: sorry, I have no expert advice to give you, but I think taking care of your sickness is top priority. So, I think you should take a couple days to rest and focus on the swim and bike this weekend. Just my two cents.

Rest up and feel better soon!

Marcy said...

ITA with the rest of the advice REST HOMIE!! Seriously chica. You won't lose anything if you don't. I'm wishing I had just rested the weekend that I was sick instead of pushing on, and then BAM a couple days later the body just said "F off, no more exercise til I say" Now here I sit miserable and cranky LOL

Bob - BlogMYruns.com said...

Get some Rest Chica :-) so u can get better...it is a sign from ur body to chill for a bit, so LISTEN to it!! and come back stronger!

J~Mom said...

Congrats on the relay!! I hope you get rested up and feel better soon!!