Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Run With The Saints 5K Report

I had Run With The Saints 5K this past Saturday. It was the race our Power In Motion running group was doing as our little graduation 5K. I had to get up quite early since it was on the west side of town, but I was feeling pretty good considering the fact that I was sick as shit all week, oh except that my gimp leg was bugging out. The race was a small event, not chip timed just good ol' fashioned stop watch and bib tear offs. It was a very relaxed atmosphere, just peeps running for a good cause and fun. It went through a nice neighborhood off of Eldridge, birds chirping and all. We had a huge turn out from our PIM group. Here is the group pic that took a good five minutes to gather us all up! I am in the front right hand corner in the bluish, greenish tank and hat.

I had told Coach Trish this past week that I wanted to break that 39 minute 5K that I had been getting pretty comfortable in. She told me we can do it no problem, and promised to pace me for this race. I enjoy running with her so much we have great conversation,and even when we are not chatting she keeps me going. It seemed like every 1/4 mile we ran I was feeling worst, and she knew it. You think it could be cause I kept saying I feel like shit, Trish! She kept reminding me I can do this. At around mile 2 we passed up my car, she made me look at the big pretty houses to keep me from jumping in that bad boy, and getting the hell outta there! The last 1/4 mile I gave it all I had left, which was hardly nothing at all. When I crossed the finish line I had goose bumps, and not feeling well at all. Trish, gave me her water bottle and took me over to the food were I ate a couple orange wedges and more water. A few minutes later I felt back to normal. It is amazing how I pushed my body to perform better and it let me know right after. It is a good feeling to make your body give you all it has. Now that I actually move my ass, I realise what a fascinating piece of equipment the human body is. I shaved two minutes off my last 5K. It was so great to hang out with the group afterwards and discuss future running goals, and what a fun journey we have had. The homies are pictured below, Trish and I are on the left.

5 comments:

TX Runner Mom said...

Great job!!!

P.O.M. said...

It is so amazing what we can "train" our bodies to do. Way to go on shaving the 2 mins! I get so mad when people say "I could never..." Because the body can be trained and re-trained.

Thanks for stoppin by my blog!

Anonymous said...

Great Job Viv!

Junie B said...

Great job hon!! 2 minutes off is great even though it sounds like you really worked your ass off to get it!

ah the joys of pushing yourself..i've been sick plenty of times. like throwing up just past the Finish line a time or two.

just remember if you feel sick out there, just remind yourself you can throw up AFTER you finish.

:)

Anonymous said...

Great race report and congrats on the time! That's amazing progress. These race things are addictive aren't they? :)

Nice blog BTW, found you on Complete Running Network.

Matt
majarun.wordpress.com