Monday, November 12, 2007

Advil Addict Comes Clean

Calf sprain with a good ol' fashioned stress fracture. That is my diagnosis. I know it is partly my fault when my leg was really bothering me the whole month of October, I continued to push it. I would just cut my running down to two to three times a week and increase the cross training. I would ice it, massage it, and stretch it. I felt like I was just getting this running thing right where I wanted it. So, I would pop Ibuprofen before I would go out for a run, after, and all times in between. Rita, will tell you that when she gave me 800mg Ibu pills it was like crack, I got all tingly on the inside. I just had to have it, where is the milk so I can pop this bad boy and have some relief. Nobody believes me, but becoming this Ibuprofen connoisseur of sorts I will let you in on my hypothesis. The 800mg Ibu dissolves in one big boom, not the same as four 200mg tablets.

A couple of weeks ago I came to the realization that running should not be all this pill popping, Ben Gay, elevation, ice, rinse & repeat ordeal. There has to be good days with a few rough ones, but all of mine got rougher and intolerable. I had this conversation with my gimp leg, please just hold out till the 5 miler on Thanksgiving, and I will take a solid month off let you regroup, and than we can start training for the Cleveland 1/2 in May. Deal?? No deal!! On the weekend of RWTS 5K and Tour de Donut, my leg let me know who is running this show.
So, here I am now with this knee high sexy boot, oh and the ever so hawt crutches that just remind me how uncoordinated I truly am. I spent all last week sitting around with my leg up, and coordinated just enough to make it to the fridge, and pantry several times a day.
I made up my mind while devouring my Dad's infamous lasagna that I could get through this by stuffing my sadness into whopping weight gain, and be back where I was 5 months ago or get back on the WeWa wagon after a week of craziness.

Today, I was back to journaling everything I put in my pie hole, which consisted of fruits, soup and things that will make me stronger, and most importantly make my scale move in the correct direction, DOWN. I also went to the gym, did upper body strength training and core work. If anybody has some good ab workouts, shoot em' my way. I thought I kicked my abs ass, if that makes any sense, but they are not sore. I want that muscle that is way under the fat, feel my wrath!
I will not take this injury with my leg up, getting fatter. I will do everything I can to come out of this stronger, Advil free, and lesson learned.




5 comments:

Margo said...

I hope you have a speedy recovery! I also split my votes last night between Helio and Maks, I mean, Mel B. :) Viv, I also watch The Hills!

Anonymous said...

That's the attitude! Feel better babe!

TX Runner Mom said...

I'm sorry to hear about the leg, but I am glad to see it's not getting you down. Hang in there and keep up the good work!

Anonymous said...

Hi Viv! This is Paige....

I wish you well in your recovery and anytime you need to chew someone's ear off....Well...

*Raising right hand* I PROMISE I'll shut up long enough for you to. : P

Anonymous said...

Viv! I am SO Proud of you for getting right back on that WeWa horse! I'm also looking forward to see howour little challenge works for the both of us. Keep up the good work and it will all pay off in the end! (BTW...it's Lisa)