Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Swimming..Huh?




The Doc told me to cross train with swimming for the next three weeks. I have never been a swimmer. Every time, I am in the pool I am floating around with a fruity drink in hand. I went and got a bathing suit first. The one I had from last year, was a bit big and the girls kept coming out. I went out to a swim shop and wobbled over to the clearance section. I found three that looked cute. Went to the dressing, and sure they were super cute, hanging on the hanger back on the rack. Who the hell do they make these things for? SWIMMERS, I am guessing. I tried three on and one, yes just one fit. My back fat and boobs were all squeezed into a scary uni boob, but it fit without having to go to the plus size suits, which tripled in price. So, it was a scary moment and a great moment. I am outta the plus size category, and that has not happened to me in years!

I grabbed my suit, my son's goggles, a swim cap that I found in a closet, which I am still scratching my head thinking where it came from, a towel, and off to the gym. I have no idea how your supposed to swim form wise and exercise wise. Do you swim till you tire out and can't swim anymore?? Do you swim hard, recover and start back up again?? I started with the breast stroke, since it is the only thing I know how to do besides floating. I am really good at floating especially with the uni boob acting as the ultimate floating device. I swam for 21 minutes till my arms felt like they were going to fall off, and to tell the truth my lungs were struggling. My arms are super sore since yesterdays upper body ST session, and now they are just numb. I am a sicko cause I love that feeling. I like to feel the pain for a day. It reminds me that my work outs are doing just that working. I need to find out if I can wear my HRM whilst swimming to see if I am actually burning calories.

If there are any swimmers out there please feel free to throw a non swimmer some tips or advice anything, just don't throw my a life preserver. I got that one covered ;-)




4 comments:

Marcy said...

Thanks for stopping by!!

Ohhh girl I'm totally convinced that a uniboob is 100 times better than 2 buoys that are drifting in opposite directions (and that is EXACTLY what I have) You could not pay me enough money to get my butt into a swimsuit. No way Momma!

I won't even attempt to give you any swimming advice. I always look like I'm drowning when I try and swim :P

Anonymous said...

Viv--

Sorry to hear your diagnosis. I suspect, however, I'm dealing with the same thing you are. What I'm going to be doing for at least the next week is aqua jogging. Swimming is great for toning and all, but aqua jogging is much better than using the ellipical. Plus, the cool pool water and water pressure helps keep the swelling down. You were wise to stop popping pills--that just masks the pain and makes the injury worse (of course unless the pain is so bad you can't sleep, then you should take something). At this point, even cycling may put too much stress on your leg. Doing core and strength training is a great idea--it'll actually help your running endurance.

Tammy said...

Oh no Viv! I've been out of touch for a while and haven't heard about your injury. Going back to read...

Oh, and as for swimming- I have no idea. I don't even know how to swim. :-(

Margo said...

I hate swimming! I can never get my hair to stay dry in that cap.