Damn that Marathon Challenge show! First, it made me cry. The last five years I have prided myself in growing this tough layer of skin. I don't cry over bullshit anymore, and especially movies or shows. The second thing this show did is put the token fat chick in it, and let me think I have this glimmer of hope that maybe I could complete a marathon.
So, do I? Do I want to push my body?
When I began a 5K running program in June, I did it for exercise and for satisfying this vision of me being able to run a 5K. Now, well now I want more from myself. Sure, I could increase my speed, but I know that will come with time especially as the weight continues to drop. I want to run a marathon. I do, but how do I go about it? I am thinking next years marathon season. Do I have to do all different distance races first? Do I have to do a half before I commit to a full? What is the protocol here? I know I am way ahead of my capabilities here, but if I set goals I will set out to accomplish them. Without any goals, and something to look ahead to, I will let it all fall by the wayside. Could be this freakin Nyquil!
What the hell happened on Dancing With The Stars tonight? How can the best dancer be kicked off!?!!
Anna, I hope you get better soon. I totally hope this half happens for you. If not there is a bunch more, not very consoling, but there is.
6 comments:
I liked the NOVA show last night, but I wish it went more in depth...I guess it would take more than an hour for that though. I'm with you, there were tears shed when everyone crossed the finish line. It brought back all those emotions from my 1st marathon. I think that if you keep up the running between now and next summer (when marathon training starts), you will have a good base to start training for the marathon. You can certainly do some 10-K or 10-mile races in between now and then if you want to, but I don't think there's anything that says you have to train for a 1/2 before you can train for a full. You can do it!!!
I'm with Miss Tx Runner Girl - my first major thing I trained for was a marathon. And between now and next summer there are plenty of events that you can do at longer distances - even a half or two!
I cried a bit too!!
Partially 'cause I'm not sure if I'm still going to be able to make the half. I figure worst case I can walk it.
With Houston Fit, you can switch from the 1/2 marathon training to the full marathon training at any time. And you can also change your Houston Marathon or 1/2 marathon regustration (for a fee, up to a point, December I think).
But here's a good way to start into the marathoning world -- the Seabrook marathon in March has a relay entry. So you and 3 others each run 1/4 of a marathon!! (you, me, Sarah and Crystal or Laura maybe??)
Here's the website:
http://www.seabrookmarathon.org/index.php?q=main
I'm going to try and come to RWTS on Saturday, but won't be able to walk or run it...
Wahoo!
Anna
Seabrook's 1/2 marathon is a lot of fun...that would be a good one to aim for.
ooohhhh I see the marathon bug might have bit someone else.
My only (unsolicated) advice is to find a good plan or even team to train with and stick with it. There will always be ups and downs, but just stick with it.
Way to go!
Seeing these kind of posts reminds me of just how technology truly is ever-present in this day and age, and I can say with 99% certainty that we have passed the point of no return in our relationship with technology.
I don't mean this in a bad way, of course! Ethical concerns aside... I just hope that as the price of memory falls, the possibility of downloading our brains onto a digital medium becomes a true reality. It's one of the things I really wish I could experience in my lifetime.
(Posted on Nintendo DS running [url=http://cid-2602f0e287041cef.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!2602F0E287041CEF!106.entry]R4i Card[/url] DS qqPost)
Post a Comment