Sunday, October 28, 2007

Sick & Now What

I did a lot of cross training this past week. I did not sleep enough, mixed in with a few social activities. All this = one sick chick! I have not slept at all this week, getting a max of 5 hours on good nights. For some of you that is a decent amount, but for me I need, and love my 8 hours if I can get it. Last night I had that tickle feeling in my throat in combonation with congestion, and still went to a movie. I caught Dan In Real Life, in my opinion it was ehh at best. Than, I went ahead, and woke up at 4:45 AM anyhow and headed out to a 40 something degree cold, dark downtown to volunteer at the Houston Half Marathon. It was a lot of fun though, I worked the finisher shirt station. I got to watch the runners take off since we had set up our station by gun time. I saw a few of my PIM running coaches, and cheered for them. Whilst the race was going on I talked to some of the other volunteers many of them with a bunch o' marathons under their belt who gave some great advice, and told some fantastic marathon stories!! I worked the guys shirts, giving all the finishers a big great job! Except for the hottie runners, they got a Colgate smile

with a raspy voiced congratulations!! I saw Kim Hager, pick up her finisher shirt way ahead of everyone. I swear nobody else came around for a while. I am pretty sure I heard she was the first overall female finisher. Kim is amazing!! I hear she coaches a beginner tri group here in The Woodlands in the summer, just saying.
Coach Manny came to grab his shirt, with the smart ass comment, "Viv your not running?" Ha, Ha, Funny guy! I told him next year, and he said I know you will. Ah, Sweet! The Houston Striders are awesome to their volunteers. We got a catered lunch, goodies, and great door prizes. I left there knowing one thing for certain, I will be there next year running. God willing and keeping me healthy. Cycling did not go so great on Saturday. I was not feeling the 22.5 mile ride. The group encouraged me to go for it, but I just was set against it. I did the 13.5 mile ride, and it was just a perfect leisurely ride. I was just feeling lazy, and probably my body was trying to fight this cold that has been trying to get me since Thursday. My body has surrendered, and now I feel like total shit. I have a supah busy week, and a packed race/ride schedule this coming weekend!


I just put the kiddo down, so I am crashing out at 7:30PM! Goodnight...

3 comments:

Jill said...

Thanks for stopping by. Love the blog name! Best of luck getting 'fit to run' and hope you feel better soon.

Tammy said...

I hope you got caught up on your rest and are feeling better now!

It's so great that you volunteer at your local races. How much it must have meant for those runners to be greeted by a cheery, smiling face at the finish! :-)

Anonymous said...

DON'T BE SICK!!!

And please, please, please don't be sick like I have been!!

I'm still not really back -- after I picked up my PIM shirt & Run With the Saints shirt on Wednesday I went over to Luke's to pick up my Houston Fit shirt and was really feeling bad. I took my temp when I got home and it was 102. Went back to the doctor Thursday. Apparently on top of the psuedo-pneumonia I got the flu.
So -- no running for another week at least.

Now I'm getting concerned about making the 1/2 marathon in January...

REST -- I didn't am and suffering now.

Anna