Saturday, October 20, 2007

D'Feet Breast Cancer 5K Race Report

If your not in to kiddos you may want to skip this one. It is my son's first race, a 1K & my 5K. Super exciting day!!

I knew this one was going to be rough since I did not plan correctly. I thought the whole time when I registered that this race was the last weekend of October. I had increased my mileage this week as well logging 13 miles. I had been doing 9 a week so yes that is way more than a 10% increase. My gimp leg was telling me to take it easy, instead I chose to run a 5K. It was a late start time almost 9:15 AM before we took off, and the sun on coast was beating down. I was nervous about doing this one alone. Last time Rita paced me and encouraged me. It was all me this time. I started out really slow, reaching mile 1 at 13:42. I didn't want to be stuck walking at the end if I pushed too hard at the beginning. I took the iPod with me, kept it really low, stayed to the right side, and removed an ear bud to thank volunteers. When I reached the turn around point I felt better. My muscles had warmed up so I increased my speed. I knew by looking at my trusty Timex Ironman that the possibility of beating my last time was looking shady. I was giving it all I had at the last mile. My Polar was saying heart attack numbers jumping between189, 191!! I kept at it, and finally the finish line was within reach. The best part was having my Lil' Buster cheering me on at the finish line. The chip times were finally posted this past Tuesday. I did not beat my last time I was shade slower, which kinda stinks considering this course was completely flat. I am fine with it, sure it would be nice to be fast though the reality is, I am a big runner, but running nonetheless. I am working on increasing my distance since it will burn more calories for me to run longer distances. When the weight continues to drop, and I have increased my base to a decent distance than I will work on my speed.


Lil' Buster 1K race report
Shane and I set him up at the starting point, kissing him to the point that he said stop, and reminded him to walk if he had to. We went back to the sidelines, praying that he would not get trampled like a running of the bulls. LB did not want me to run with him, he said, "this was his race." LOL! He was off and running, and what seemed like forever later he was running back. I ran to him at the finish line, and it looked like he threw up on himself just a tad. His heart was about to beat off his chest. He looked spent and said, " carry me Mom." So I carried him to the water station. He hydrated, felt better, and got his medal placed around his neck. He and Daddy went to the children's party catered by Mc Donald's with tons of M&M's, activities for kids, and he was loving that, while I was doing my 5K. Later this week he walked by his medal hanging on the mantel and said, "I can't believe it Mom, I won my very first race!" I told him yes baby your a winner!

3 comments:

Margo said...

Love the video! That is so great that you are getting your son involved in races too. I would be honored if you included a link to my blog from yours. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Awesome!
From ALB

Tammy said...

Great job Viv!

I need to log on at home later so I can see the video...