Swim: 1500 yards/0.85 miles
37:20 (2:43/100m or 2:29/100y)
I was very nervous going in to the swim. It was not the open water just the distance in the open water that started messing with my mind. I texted my sister and my tri sis just to calm the nerves. While waiting for the swim start I met Kristen, another athlete. She was really sweet and talked me down to calmness. It always makes me smile when I think of the people we speak to at events and how we bond out there. I hope that one day I will be the calmness to another athlete. Shane was trying to calm my nerves, but unless you do this kind of thing I really think you don't know how intimidating it can sometimes be or what to say really. I mean I do this and still lack the right words to others. He kept saying, all the way to the orange buoy and around the other one. That is really far. The zoom on the camera does not even get it....umm, yea thanks Sweet.
The first 500 yards or so was rough. I just could not get into a zone. Truthfully, I am pretty sure I doggie paddled at some point, thinking forward progress is progress. I think the picture below of the graveyard racks visualizes it for you how the swim went.
POSITIVE: Being the last swimmer in the water gets you an entourage of kayaks.
Kayaker 1: Are you OK ma'am?
Kayaker 2: Would you like to rest up against the kayak?
Kayaker 3: Straight ahead ma'am you are right on course.
T1: 3:39
It was a 1/4 mile hike from the sand up to transition. I usually do my woggle thing, not this time. Transitions is where I take pride. It is my only natural talent at these things. Let's face it, I was not born with an athletic bone in my body, but hell I can change shoes and hats on one foot. I was so disappointed when I got out of the water I just let the negativity build from there.
POSITIVE: Why in the world was I so upset?? I looked at my trusty Timex. I was right on target for me. In fact beating my pool swim times. Why did I let being the last swimmer out get to me? I learned I need to focus on me and my performance.
Bike: 23 miles 1:43:45 (13.3mph)
It was a challenging course for me. Not really a flat to be seen and hills are something I struggle with. This is where the race took a serious turn for the worst. There was tears, and I do not mean like one teardrop rolling down the cheek. No, no I was balling! I would look at my legs, they looked like they were not even pedaling. There wasn't another cyclist in sight then the wailing would start. I would have to talk myself out of quiting. A DNF was the only way I thought I could make the pain stop. Then again the pain of not finishing would just be atrocious!
POSITIVE: In being the lone cyclist on the course you get 4 police escorts for the last 8 miles. They will also call out, car back on their loud speaker.
T2: 1:20
It was in my range. It was slowed down a bit by the stunning effect I got from all of the sprint side of transition standing by their bikes with gear in hand waiting for the last bike to come in....yeas that would be me.
POSITIVE: You get a standing ovation being the last cyclist in.
Probably cause they are so happy to go home.
Run: 6.2 miles/10K (waiting on results for this split)
The run included bouts of walking. I would say about 6-8 minutes of walking total. My legs felt OK not overly fatigued just had huge blisters develop on the last 3 miles. I don't know if it was my cycling shoes or running shoes sockless. I have done 3-4 miles without socks but not longer. So, totally my fault for being stupid. I would walk thinking it would be soothing to the blister, but same pain so back to running. There was tough mental times on the run when I was the lone runner after mile 3. Then the crying would commence like a huge wuss(you know what word I really want to say but will keep it PG-13)! I really don't know what was up with all the crying?? People close to me will tell you they can not remember the last time they saw me shed a tear. It was getting bad like stutter breaths then I couldn't breathe then walking would start.
My mind was really working a number on me. I was wearing my Hager Racing visor, and I didn't even feel worthy enough to wear my tri team visor. I did not feel like I was out there racing, more like surviving. I thought of my family, friends, tri team, Coach, tri sis, blogging buds. How would I tell them I quit? Not because I was hurt or sick just flat out quit. I couldn't quit...not now. All, I could think the last mile besides finishing, was I hope they don't say the last finisher is crossing the line y'all cheer for her Vivian from Spring, TX the last OLY finisher. Oh my!
POSITIVE: Car loads of athletes driving home will cheer, honk, hoot, and holler for you on the run while driving home. I finished and found out I was the only Athena under 39 racing the OLY distance. I got the hardware because I finished, is how I look at it. If I would have quit they would have nobody to give it to.
Total Time: (waiting on official results for total time)
Trusty Timex Time: 3:45.32
POSTIVE: Coach encouraged me to hit up another OLY before the end of this season since Hi-Fi Oly will probably not happen in Galveston in late October. She also said sumfin' about doing it with a smile. Will the one below work???
I know what to expect from this distance now. I know I can do better. I have to get the mind right.
SO....On October 5th I will do it all again, Toyota US Open in Dallas. Which by the way looks to be a bad ass event!
A pic of me nervous before swim start. I think I have the same face today, still.
With friends like mine it is easy to start smiling again.....

40 comments:
Congrats on finishing your first olympic and your first place a/g finish. It sounds like you have taken away alot from this race and will do even better then next one
You finished! You are not a quitter!! You did great!! We all have races that didn't meet our expectations, but we do not quit. We get back into that darn saddle and keep at and keep getting better! Just think how you are going to rock that course next year! I really enjoyed how you put a positive spin on anything.
A little question to keep you going -
What do they call a medical student who graduated last in their class?
Doctor.
Just because the field might have been faster doesn't mean what you did isn't fantastic. You finished an OLY tri girl!! I am soooo proud of you!!
I do know that feeling having been 5th or so last at my OLY BUT think of all the people that didn't even have the courage to start...think of them!! Think of your fitness level and the example you set for so many!! Not only did you start you finished!!!!!!!!
((((HUGS)))))
I'm so proud of you Viv. You went out there and you did it. You pushed through all the negative and YOU GOT IT DONE. Not only did you do an OLY but you pushed through some tough mental stuff to finish! In my book, you still WON, because you didn't give up. :)
Viv.. If I were there I would give you a BIG HUG! I am sooooooo proud of you. An OLY tri. Girl you really are my hero! I mean that. Every time I race this body o' mine my one goal is just to finish. There are so many people out there that only dream of doing what you FINISHED!!! P.S. My first and so far only tri this year... I was last too. Atleast you got some kick butt hardware for your pain and blisters. Keep your chin up you did it!
Please see my Pac Coast tri race report. I felt pretty much the same way.
Also, we'll be doing our Olympic's together! I can't believe you're going to do another one so close to your last, but who am I to be a buzz kill.
We all have to fight our negative thoughts once in a while as much as we hate it. Some people give in but you won the battle. You finished an OLY TRI, that is awesome!!!
You did it. Ah, you let your mind take over, we have all had that happen, but you didn't let it win. You pushed on, you didn't let the negative thoughts send you home or the tears, you crossed the finish line. I bet you are now mentally stronger.
Way to sign up for the next race! Be proud of yourself.
You totally kick ass! No doubt chica! No freekin doubt! I'm so proud of you!! ;D ;D ;D
Lesser peeps would have quit. And hell I won't even attempt to do a tri so you're def my hero ;D ;D
Congrats on your finish! Working all the way through to the end on this one sounds like it was a real challenge so you should be proud of the finish and everything you learned from it!
Vivian first of all, let me congratulate you for having this great blog. You are a terrific writer and this is coming from someone who reviews copy from top ad agencies. Second, you already left your mark on someone. I compare myself to the pack and never focus on my personal goals. Knowing how to pace oneself and still keep the moral up is critical specially in long distance races. A group of us from HT are competing in IM distance events and knowwing how to pace will be the key to our success. If you had not reminded me of that today I would have made the same mistake I always make. Push to hard to keep up. This can only be learned when you are at the last one in. And third I do triathlons because of people like you. People who fight and work hard for a goal. Thank you for keeping me inspired
Please don't stop writing, you are very talented.
Awesome job on finishing, Viv! I had those moments on the hills this August and mine was only a Sprint so you should be damn proud of yourself. It was your first OLY and you'll look back at this someday, after you finish an IM and realize just how much you got out of it.
And I'm thrilled that you're getting right back on the horse. WTFG!
Way to Viv! Way to crank through with mental toughness!! You rock!! That is a good swim time. I love it! Tri-peeps cheer for people still out on the course cause THEY KNOW.
Well done, chica! How exciting your are going to Dallas! I am entirely jealous :-D
I am so proud of you. You are awesome.
Congrats on the finish!
You know, it takes a very strong person to complete a tri at all, and you've now done the OLY distance at that!
And, since it was your first, it was automatically a PR! Woo!
So, now you have a time to beat for next time.
Great job on sticking with it!!!
I'm so proud of you. And you should be too!
Congrats on doing the race and finishing. We sometimes are our own worst enemies.
Congrats on placing too!
OMG viv, way to hang in there and finish! I'm not sure if I could have done that. I've been there though with the negativity. I read a book called "Running Within." It's all about the mental prep stuff. Congrats again!
Viv, congratulations on finishing your first Oly! Yikes, I know the feeling of when your emotions get the best of you and you just start to bawl. It has happened to me before. You did a really good job of trying to see the positives in a race where you just weren't happy. It sounds like you know where to go with the next one. Great job on finishing and getting the hardware!
Great job!!!!! You dug deep and got thru it!
CONGRATS!!!! you pushed through and did not quit - that is amazing and you should be so proud of yourself. there is no way i would even start one of these :) congrats again! now that you know what to expect you can totally go for the next one!
Oh Viv - you did it and that is something to be super proud of.
I have quit before because I was last, and even though I hate the idea of being last, I swore I would never do it again. It does suck, and even though everybody will tell you that the people cheer the loudest for the last person (myself included), it is really hard to stay positive when it's you!!.
The agony of quitting is far worse than the agony of finishing last.
Good for you for sticking it out - tears, blisters and all!!!!!! We are all very very proud of you.
I am impressed!!!!
you got the hardware viv!!!!
congrtats and I knew you would not quit..
youhave had alot on your plate with the hurricane and such...its amazing you even attempted to race...
awesome!!
Dang girl, you are tough- mentally and physically. That's a lot to overcome, and you did it!!! You are amazing. And Tammy's got a good point- it was still a PR. Plus you had the guts to finish (and you were rewarded handsomely- so cool about your hardware).
I'm so proud of you for sticking with it. And you will do great on your next event- I feel it. = )
Viv I'm so proud of you!!! It's awesome that you were able to find positives in everything! I truly believe you will take everything you learned from this race and do that much better in your next one!
Great job on the race! I absolutely love how you added a positive thought into every part of it! :) You are so going to rock that one in october!
Holy crap woman! You finished an Olympic Tri! Well done! Only two types of athletes get special treatment. The very fast and the very last...
So totally proud of you for sticking it out. Go girl!
(And I had a half marathon do I job on me this weekend. Still not quite over it.)
Great job girl! You finished it and did not quit. The next one will be a piece of cake!
I am super proud of you, Viv! I would have drowned 5 meters in.
Console yourself with the fact that, as you know, most folks will probably NEVER do an event of this grueling endurance. I know I may not as well. Congratulations on pushing yourself and not giving up!
The blisters are from running without socks. Girl, be kind to your feet and take the ten seconds to put on that pair of socks for the next Oly in a few days.
I was totally crying with you/for you as I read about the end of your race cuz I knew you didn't quit, even though you thought you wanted to, you didn't...and that is so freekin' (rated pg version) impressive! Be proud of yourself...YOU DID IT!
I'm bursting with pride for you. I mean, a couple of years ago did you EVER think you would be where you are right now? You are such an inspiration to so many people. Way to go!!!!!
So many things to say...The least of which is YOU FREAKING DID IT!!!!!! What I truly admire is your spirit to keep going even when you absolutely did not want to.
I wish you continued success and confidence in your journey Viv!! You are brilliant to watch!!!!
Girl, you have SO much courage and you ROCK! You finished!!! You finished!!! People like me would never even START one of those bad boys...and you ROCKED IT.... Viv style!!!
I've had one of *those* races before...I think I cried all the way from Mile 7 on at the RNR Half last year.....and then BAWLED at the finish! But you know what - in retrospect now, I am soooo stinkin' proud of myself for finishing that race! I didnt sit down on the curb like I wanted to...but I finished.
That is what this whole deal - running, tri, whatever sport you choose - is all about.
DOING.
FINISHING.
You did both and you ROCK! AWESOME!!!!!
(and I am still trying to figure out how Lisa jumps so high???)
Congrats on the Oly! Don't be so hard on yourself...that was a hard race and you finished chica! That's a lot to be proud of - you rock girl!!!
Girl, it doesn't matta if you were the only... you deserve the hardware even more BECAUSE you're the only ;-).
You do amazing things. Smirk and all ;-)
OK Miss Thang, let's put this in perspective... You FINISHED!!! You don't have a DNF by your name because you DIDN'T QUIT!!!
You have a legion of fans who love you because you inspire all of us to give it our all. Remember my WWVD day?
Winston Churchill once said, "Never, never give up.". Of course he is also the one who said, "It will be long; it will be hard; and there will be no withdrawal."...but I guess I should save that quote for another post. :o) xoxo
Just found your blog. My first oly (last may) I was the last bike out there. got the same escort. Woot!
I learned it's not so bad being last. They treat you like a rock star. And you *are* a rock star for being out there!! Woot!!
Oh Honey, I so know how you feel. You should read my Capitol Pursuit from last year. I was totally rocking for me but was the back of the back. They packed up the aid stations. They almost had the finish packed up before I got there and people were totally driving off and cheering for me. If I looked around, I wanted to cry, but still I was running 10 miles at a 12 pace - that was unheard of for me. It was so bittersweet. You rock for being out there and for finishing. You are training like a mad woman. I heart you!!
HUGS.
Nanc
Post a Comment