Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Deep Thoughts by Viv Edition II

The first edition of Deep Thoughts by Viv was light hearted. This time I am going to dig deeper, but first let's have a light one.

It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.
by Jack Handy


Thank you for your comments, emails, calls, texts.
They meant so much to me knowing you were thinking of me.
This past weekend was a tough one for southeast Texas. We suffered a hard blow from Hurricane Ike. I am luckily 22 miles north of downtown Houston. My parents and my sister's homes were both under mandatory evacuations. They evacuated to my home which became the makeshift bunker. I purchased supplies to carry us over 48-72 hours without power and such. Shane, boarded up the window in our most interior room. We stayed up late Friday evening watching the news in the living room and around 12AM we started having effects including power failure. It was our cue to make our way to the bunker to brace ourselves. We said a prayer, some slept while others slept lightly awaking every 30 minutes or so.


It was about 11 AM Saturday before we ventured out of the bunker into the rest of the house. We had a leak in the roof, but it was still a little rough to head outside and see exterior damage. About, 3PM we went outside to see a sea of shingles, trees and an odd fishy scent. That is all, we were safe. We did not have power till early Sunday evening. That is when I got my first visuals of what had happened in our city and surrounding area. It was breathtaking.


There is still over 1 million people in Houston and surrounding areas with no power. I heard it took a while to get FEMA efforts organized to begin supplying living necessities to those who needed it. By yesterday our home was back into full action, cable, internet, and even milk. I feel terrible for those that have suffered and continue to suffer. I would like to donate my time, but with Lil' Buster out of school the entire week there is not much I can do as far as offering my time. I have sent out texts to friends that I know are without power offering my home for anything they may need from a hot meal, to just even washing clothes.


Galveston area has suffered a severe amount of damage. The island is unlivable. When I first moved to Texas, the island was usually the butt of my terrible beach jokes. I came from the emerald seas of the Atlantic in South Florida. I was spoiled for 14 years living by a beautiful beach. As my years pass in Texas I began to find the beauty in Galveston. It was my beach. The beach I have here in my home of Texas. My Aunt and Grandmother had their ashes sprinkled over the Atlantic. The beach has since become a sacred place to me. My connection to them, where when I visit the ocean any ocean they are always thought of with warm memories.


Galveston has always been my escape to fun, sun, sand and laughs. The place I go breathe the salty air I love. I hope and pray that time will heal this area. Even though the water will always be brown, it is my beach.....




Bike stroll along the Galveston Seawall FEB 08
My Dad, Shane, Lil' Buster,


Me Swimming in Galveston Bay preparing for a tri MAR 08
Me in the blue swim cap

Port of Galveston leaving on a cruise MAR07
Lil' Buster & my Mom


My Parents at Galveston Bay in San Leon MAY 05
My finger in the picture


Renting a convertible bug to spend the day in Galveston MAR 07
Rita & Me

Lil' Buster at the Galveston Train Museum MAR 07



My Mom's birthday at Kemah boardwalk overlooking the bay FEB 06
My Mom & Lil' Buster


Riding the train around the bay at Kemah Boardwalk MAY 05
Lil' Buster & Shane


5K Race in Galveston OCT 07
Lil' Buster & Me

Galveston Bay in San Leon MAY 05
My Dad & Lil' Buster
gotta build that alcohol tolerance early, totally kidding people

--Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T--

31 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm glad you and your family is safe. Your words about Galveston were not only deep but poetic. Let me know if you need anything.

E said...

I'm happy to hear you and the family are OK. Take care and stay safe! Hugs!

triguyjt said...

glad your well...viv

Runner Leana said...

Viv, I'm glad that you and your family are okay. I can't believe all of the devastation in Galveston. I remember visiting a few years ago and watching the movie on the last big storm that wiped the town out. I didn't want to think that could happen again. Thanks for sharing your pictures of your good memories.

Nancy said...

Great pictures and memories. I'm sure it will recover but it will probably take a long time. So glad you are safe. Thanks for keeping us updated.

J~Mom said...

I am so happy to hear that you are ok!! I got a lump in my throat reading that. I hope the clean up and recovery goes well for everyone. (((HUGS)))

RooBabs said...

I'm so glad to hear that you and your family are okay. I kept saying prayers for all my blogger friends in Texas (especially Houston area) and for anyone that I didn't know, too. It's heartbreaking to see all the damage and I feel for the people who have lost so much. You have such a good heart to offer up your home and yourself to others. Thank you for sharing your pictures and memories with us. = )

N.D. said...

Hope your area is doing ok. That is really scary.

Erin Leigh said...

So glad you guys are OK. The damage is horrible. TFS the photos!

MePlusMyThree said...

It is hard for me to comprehend the destruction.

I was at Murdochs two weeks ago drinking a beer watching the surf and now it is gone.

My uncles had houses on Gilchrist and Jamaica Beach - both completely washed away as if they never existed. The power of water is almost unfathomable.

The Young Family said...

I too am very happy to hear you are ok! I was thinking about you. We took a cruise out of Galveston in '06, it is always very hard to see palces you have been to torn apart, obviously more tragic to you who has many more memories in that area. My prayers are with all the Houstonians? would that be right? Hubby was in New Orleans a week after Katrina hit, so I can understand the clean up issues, are overwhelming for some.

thanks for the update!

Em

Carly said...

I am so glad you are safe and faired only minimal damage.

C said...

So glad you're safe, Viv. I was worried about you.

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear you and your family are all safe and ok. Great pictures to go along with some wonderful memories. Still thinking of you all.

Al's CL Reviews said...

Glad you are safe Viv!
I thought about you over the weekend.

Wes said...

Glad you are OK, Viv! What man has built, God will tear down... Sad but true :-( You guys hang in there!!

Marcy said...

I'm glad to hear from my Mommacita! I'm so happy that you and the fam are safe (((HUGS))))

Jess said...

I'm glad to hear you're safe, but it sucks to hear of all the damage.

Pokey said...

HUGS Viv....just glad you and the fam are safe.

Lily on the Road said...

Glad to hear you and your family are okay...

wow, Mother Nature, incredible.

Diario de Elysia said...

So glad you are o.k. My good friend is in Houston as well and has no power!

Besos viv that you and your famiyl are safe!

Bev said...

So glad you are ok. I've been wondering. It is just such a terrible site. But we Texans are a stubborn lot, so it will be rebuilt. We can just be thankful that so many people evacuated and that the loss of life wasn't even more.

paige said...

I'm so glad to hear that you and your family made it out unscathed. If you need anything, let me know hon!

I've seen pictures of Galveston and it looks like a bomb went off there. How trully devistating.

paige said...

I'm so glad to hear that you and your family made it out unscathed. If you need anything, let me know hon!

I've seen pictures of Galveston and it looks like a bomb went off there. How trully devistating.

Kevin said...

Good to hear that you and your family are safe. I dont think I ever knew you also were a former south floridian. I grew up down there

Anonymous said...

glad youre safe.

weather is such a random thing (we got nothing in my part of TX) and POWERFUL.

M.

Mistyfied said...

Hope to see you soon. Glad we are all ok.

Nat said...

Glad you made it through in one piece...

Aka Alice said...

Glad you are safe and sound.

Your pix of your time in Galveston are just priceless.

TX Runner Mom said...

I hear you on the Galveston beach memories. It's ugly as hell, but Ive been going there since I was a wee little baby. The memories are numerous and it's sad knowing the island will never be quite the same. Glad to know you and your fam are safe!!! (But jealous that you have power!!!)

Anonymous said...

Damn, that got me all misty eyed! Galveston has always been my beach and I love it too. I was hoping that we could make it to Murdoch's one day for that pina colada...

So glad that you are all safe. My parents still don't have power and I am just ready for everything to get back to normal! Take care!