Sunday, October 14, 2007

LIVESTRONG CHALLENGE 5K Report

Well, I can finally say I ran my 1st 5K! I have been working at this since June, so crossing that finish line was an awesome feeling! We set out for Austin on Friday, after a lot of traffic, and several u-turns we made it to our hotel checked in and headed to the Livestrong Village for packet pickup. The village thing was pretty cool. Trek was there and got to check out their new bikes, supah suaweet. They had a lot of cycling vendors there since the ride was the big deal this weekend. I enjoyed walking around and taking in all the goodies that come with an event. We, (meaning Shane, my husband, Rita & Vince our dearest friends, and Godparents to our Lil' Buster) than headed to a nice dinner at Carrabba's Grill. Looking back, I should have had a glass or bottle of wine because I was so excited that I barely slept Friday night. I laid in bed watching the clock, waiting for the alarm to go off at 6AM. At that time, I got up and started getting dressed. Rita, came down to our room to have some oatmeal and juice. We stuck tattoos on ourselves from the goodie bag like a couple of 10 year olds. A, few minutes later the guys were chauffeuring us to the event. We went to the porta potty, lined up, and did some stretches. Than, as we waited, I ran back to the porta potty again, lined up again, now I was ready. LOL! Lance Armstrong pulled up in a huge bus. Andy Roddick got out said some blah, blah words. Why is it when he speaks I understand nothing?!?!
Lance took to the stage and thanked everyone for coming out, and reminded Texans to vote for Prop 15 this November. The horn sounded..we were off and running!!
I took off way to fast, Rita made me talk to her to make sure I could keep at a pace that would last me 3.1 miles. I have to admit, for some reason I took it personally when people were flying past me, and prom king Dad's were almost running me over with the jogging strollers. I had to remind myself, it was nothing personal they also have worked to hard to achieve their level of running. Got over myself, and kept at it. It was such a scenic course, the sun coming up over Town Lake, downtown Austin, and the gorgeous rolling hills of the Texas Hill Country. Rita, was the best friend anyone could ask for. Even though this was her first running race, she made a point of making this all about me, cheering me on, calling me a runner, motivating me up those beautiful fucking gorgeous rolling hills!! I think, I might have threatened to kill her somewhere along mile 2, but I love you more Mon Chi Chi! I made sure I thanked all the volunteers, took all high fives, and cheers I could get. I could see we were making our way back to the Capital, and at that point the cheesy smile came all over me. We crossed the finish line. I had done it! I was overwhelmed with emotion. I hugged Rita and shed a few tears of the joy and sense of accomplishment I had attained. Then, Shane came running to me and squeezed me hard, and told me over and over how proud he was of me. I have not seen Shane so proud of me since I gave birth to our son. Shane, hates taking pictures so to see him in full paparazzi mode, not to mention rund down, confirmed his support. I looked at the video in the car on the way up to New Braunfels, which is where I realized that at the finish line Rita stood back, clapped, and let me cross that finish line first..priceless!

I set two goals for myself;
1. Run the entire course
2. Try to finish under 40 minutes
Goal 1
accomplished
Goal 2
Bib 3288 / 39:06 (12:35)
Great tee I saw on a runner....
Feeling like somebody is pushing you from behind, and than realizing it’s you. That is running

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

WAY TO GO VIV!!!!!

What a great time for your first 5K. And in the hill country too!! You're awesome!!

Wahoo!
Anna
Your fellow PIMster.

Anonymous said...

Viv,

You did it honey...but I never doubted you and I am soooooo proud of your accomplishments. I can't explain how it felt to see you cross the finish line...the glow of your face was beautiful. I'm glad we were able to share this wonderful weekend together and I must say that seeing all of those runners in a beautiful place and great weather was amazing! I actually enjoyed being papparazi for you and can't wait to watch and photo you again...so keep running baby...and who knows, I might even start running with you! Luv u, Shane

Noelle said...

OMG Viv!!!!! YOU ARE SO AWESOME!!!! I was kicking myself for not being around the thread last week to wish you luck, but now I'm so excited to read about your victory over the goals you set for yourself (not to mention a wicked injury that never stood a chance against your spirit and determination). You have so much to be proud of, and it's been a blast being along for the ride with you on the road to this point.

CONGRATS!!!!!

Tammy said...

Fantastic job, Viv!

I love that you were able to beat both goals that you set for yourself, and had friends and your hubby there to share it with!

Congratulations on conquering your first of many 5k's!

Margo said...

Congrats!! Great job on your first 5K! So nice that you have supportive friends and a built-in papparazzi hubby.

DoriAnn said...

WTG, Viv! Loved your blog and video. You have had an amazing journey this summer and fall and achieved a huge success without skipping a beat! Can't wait to read about your next races.

TX Runner Mom said...

Wooohooo!! Great job Viv! What an awesome race report!

Yasmin said...

Viv, you made me laugh. I was exactly like you at my first 5K in July. Took off way to fast. Took it personally that everyone was passing me.

I'm glad you got to run and finish and have papparazi!

Congrats to Rita too!

Delane said...

Whooo Hoooooooooooo.....YOU DID FUCKING AWESOME!!!!!

I love the race video!!!!

Junie B said...

THANKS for stopping by my blog and posting a comment!!!

Congrats on that first 5k!!!

Pat said...

OK, I'm a bit behind. I came here from Pokey's blog. She's one of my running partners, along with JavaMom. Anyway, I always go back and read people's race reports from their first race. Very impressive then and now. You should reread it often. I love how your friend let you finish on you own.

Good luck in the tri this Sunday. You've come a long way.

pat