I promise I will give my titles some interesting meaning once I do this 5K in October. Entering it as my title keeps reminding me how bad I want to run this 5K . I went on my ride this past Saturday with the group. I barely slept Friday night, I was very excited and nervous at the same time. I don't want to think how I will be the night before a race or something. I have been known to get super excited about stuff for a week before, than not sleep and, get sick. I think I have been sick on at least 2/3 of all our vacations or big events. I woke up early and ate a granola bar as Shane filled up my tires, loaded my bike, filled my water bottle, and grabbed my helmet and gloves. He has been pretty supportive of all my new ventures lately. I explained to him to answer his phone if he saw any unknown numbers since I put to contact him in case of emergency in my helmet, and I was on my way. The meeting place is right off where I used to live in The Woodlands. It is such a nice area with plenty of open road, great scenery, small rolling hills. Perfect! I got there and hung out around my car for a while being shy. Than I said fuggettabout it! I found the group leader, Kelly, who is super sweet. I introduced myself to the other ladies on the ride, than we were told the safety rules and we were off. I was so scared the first 10 minutes. In my head thoughts like; What if I fall? How the hell do these little skinny tires hold my ass? If I hit a small pebble will I jolt off this bike? Why the fuck does the chic in front of me keep slowing down so much, I know I'm gonna side swipe her tire and kill myself? I was one in front of the back of the pack, I would say about 7 in our group, I was informed of some calls I need to make such as car back, debris, and I will tell you one more I learned later. I started chatting with the other lady pacing the back of the ride. She had done a few triathlons and was really nice. I started to relax at this point, and more importantly feel comfortable with the bike. I got the hang of turning, shifting, stopping. I was feeling good now! We made a stop about 45 minutes in to it at a park, chit chatted, re hydrated(did I mention there was no way in hell I was going to try to grab my water bottle while in motion) we discussed the next portion of the ride, and she told us it would be nice open road with not much traffic. I started at the before to last spot again, and at this point I was feeling comfortable enough to pick up my pace. That is when I learned my next call out, "on your left" LOL! I was passing people up. I was right behind the tri girl. I used her as my pace marker. I am so glad that spinning really prepared me for this. I was in love. The breeze was blowing in my face and I swear I had to remind myself to stop smiling so big before I ate a few bugs. I actually braved up a bit and looked at the ponds
and the serenity consumed me. It was me, my bike and the road! I finished up and stretched. Kelly, said I did great and had a pretty good pace and would probably be able to move up to the next group after a couple more rides. My goal is to get back to the clipless pedals before switching groups. I am in love with cycling. I took it up as a way to do something while not running, but I never knew it would be so much more than I anticipated. I went to the cycling club meeting last night, and I won a door prize. Is cycling trying to suck me in or what?! I was telling Kelly during the ride that I wanted one of these. It is a wireless on board computer so I can know my speed, average speed and distance. Yaa!
and the serenity consumed me. It was me, my bike and the road! I finished up and stretched. Kelly, said I did great and had a pretty good pace and would probably be able to move up to the next group after a couple more rides. My goal is to get back to the clipless pedals before switching groups. I am in love with cycling. I took it up as a way to do something while not running, but I never knew it would be so much more than I anticipated. I went to the cycling club meeting last night, and I won a door prize. Is cycling trying to suck me in or what?! I was telling Kelly during the ride that I wanted one of these. It is a wireless on board computer so I can know my speed, average speed and distance. Yaa!
1 comment:
Viv, you sound like my mom. But that's a good thing. She loves cycling. She's done 60 mile rides and an Cinderella ride, which is all women.
I may have to take her up on it again. I hated riding bikes, but I hated running at one time too!
Congrats on your "first" ride!
Post a Comment