Monday, February 9, 2009

Animal I Am Becoming....

I apologize in advance for my lack of being around. I find myself being tapped out for extra time. My family & friends don't get to see or talk to me much either, which given my attitude lately they may consider it a blessing. I have a short window of time where I am a decent human being. I go from an endorphin high, to emotional, to grouchy, to sleepy. At my Mom's birthday gathering yesterday I would have classified myself in a comatose state, no doubt. Some people are lucky to balance it all, but for me it is a challenge. The people around me know how much New Orleans Ironman 70.3 means so they try to keep how they feel about it behind my back. Sometimes they can't help it and I have to deal with the comments like, "are you getting paid for this?" Or, "maybe you are not built to do this.", and my fave "your body can't handle it."
Negativity be gone, I am thrilled to have an "off" day today. Which means I am about to head out to Costco and buy in bulk to celebrate. I am learning very quickly that these next 7 weeks will either make me or break me. I am also learning that a solid real outdoor bike ride makes me develop the rare form of Tourettes where I yell profanities. I was getting creative with that on the 41 mile ride Saturday. At one point I made myself chuckle with the outburst of, "suck my left nut you cocky fuckball!" Funny, I didn't remember that left nut when putting on my tri shorts that morning. The open road can be so nerving. Yet, at the same time when you have a great clip going, minimal traffic, nothing but a clear road with the sun shining it quickly becomes the most exhilarating feeling to me. I feel at one with my bike and the road.
My running, ummm... I should save that for a post titled, "Running Rehab". Another post coming soon is, "WeWa Points on Long Training Days. Where The Hell Do They Go?"


Still Trying To Believe....
Saturday's 02/07 Workout:
AM Bike 41miles 2:39 15.5mph
Sunday's 02/08 Workout:
AM Run 4miles 0:54 2min run/1min walk


41 comments:

Robin said...

Oh Viv. How I love you so.

My fam isn't usually thrilled when I'm in training mode either. But I'm too much of a determined bitch to let it derail me. They get the saner version of myself back after the race. :)

You're no different than anyone else who's in training. Enough of that "your body isn't made for this" nonsense. That's exactly what it was made for!

Anonymous said...

I believe in you and proud of you :-)

Screw anybody that says negative things.. YOU ARE AN ANIMAL and I love it... GRRRRRR :-)

Wes said...

ROFLMAO... Ah Viv, you are priceless :-) This first one is really hard to train for. Thank GAWD you have a supportive family unit! It makes all the difference in the world!!

Mel-2nd Chances said...

sounds like my emotions, only i'm not even training for IM! You are doing so well, and I can't wait to ride outside again... not sure i'll yell the same things, but you never know. :)

Unknown said...

Hang in there!

Runner Leana said...

Ah yes, it is interesting how we can develop a whole other language during certain things. For you, it is riding. For me? While watching America's Best Dance Crew. I never use words like "sick" in my every day language, but somehow or other I watch that show and I think in my head, "Wow, that was sick!" Or is it sic? I don't even know.

Yeah, I'm lame.

Good luck getting the balance in my friend. And tell all of those people who tell you that you aren't built for this to bugger off, because we all know better!

Lauren said...

You crack me up. Namely because all of these things have happened to me and I'm not even doing Ironman. I like "You may like running, but that doesn't mean it's good for your body" while sucking down a bacon cheeseburger and fries.

Word of caution, while Tourette's may be amusing on training rides, you may find yourself doing it in the race at which point, people tend to look at you like your nuts. Good luck with the training!

TX Runner Mom said...

LOL, my family can give me the negative comments too...of course, only my running buddies and my hubby know the negativity that comes out of my mouth around mile 21 of a marathon. It's some scary shiat, lol! Hang in there girl, the pride at the end of that 70.3 will be well-worth all the BS you have to put up with! :-)

Anonymous said...

I've let a few expletives out when riding outside too, so I know how you feel. It is great to have lots of open road and get your legs into a rhythm. Keep the training going, we're behind you!

Tiggs said...

Viv- I think we can all ditto you on the family/no time thing. Also, same with the worn out body. I'm worn out and sore too. But we knew this going in. And we know that in 8 weeks we can take a little break before deciding what's next.
I was thinking as I ran 10 this weekend- if I was training for Ironman just think how much more I'd be running today. How much less time I'd have in general. How much more sore I'd be right now.
Take it one day at a time and in 8 weeks we'll be there.

Shannon said...

Can I start stealing your lines? You need a mic and a stage my dear....ok right, you have the mic and you just dj in a spin room....the life!

LOL....going to Miami....please say yes!

ShirleyPerly said...

You crack me up!! Great to hear you're putting in the miles. The only person who says negative things like that to me is my mom and I don't talk to her much :-P

Bootchez said...

"Cocky fuckball" . . . I like it! Congratulations on your awesome workouts, and stay positive!

teacherwoman said...

Ahhh, there's nothing worse than hearing negative thoughts from family and friends in regards to one's dreams/goals. How disappointing and frustrating. Listen to your heart and make the most of your training. You can do it girl!

Kevin said...

The most important thing in training for that first half is consistency and determination. Just keep pushing along and you will cross that line .

I love your little outburst on the ride.

Nicole said...

Holy sh!t! 41 freakin miles! Your awesome! Dont listen to negativity, its the last thing you need! I love your hard work and determination, you ROCK!

Nicole said...

P.S. i love that you said fuckball, that made me smile

Sarah said...

It's so much better to yell at strangers than family. I yelled at a lady who almost hit me when I was running on Friday. I called her a bitch. I NEVER do that. NEVER. But it felt good.

CoachLiz said...

Irritating people in pick-up trucks become "fuckheads" for me. I have come across a few lately.

Hang in there girl and give'em hell.

Calyx Meredith said...

You've got the intensity thing mastered! Now, don't let the fuckheads get you down. :D

C said...

Awesome profanity, lady. I need to use that one myself one of these days.

Don't listen to the haters. You can do this. We know you can.

Stuart said...

Nice job on that ride glad to hear I am not the only one who curses at the open road!

Marcy said...

Aaahhhhh Mommacita how I love you! HAHAHAHAAAA You crack met he hells on up! Even when you're cranky you're funny ;D

RooBabs said...

Who says people who use profanity have no vocabulary? Dang girl, you got some creativity goin' on there, LOL. I turn into a potty mouth whenever I drive. I really need to work on it so that someday when I have kids they don't repeat the horrible things I say (like one of my old professors whose kid learned to say "f-ing moron" with a sweet Queens accent and repeated it in front of his grandma- ha ha!)

J~Mom said...

I TOTALLY cuss so much more when I bike!! It's crazy but you got to let them fly!!!!!! LOL

Erin Leigh said...

Oh I love it. I only truly respect girls with good solid sets of cajones, LMAO!

Jess said...

However we may act when in full training for soemthing big, it's nothing compared to how terrible we are when we can't work out, right? Just remind them of THAT!

Margo said...

You are going to do great!! Don't listen to the negativity!!

Cayman said...

I've been reading your blog for a while and this is the first time I am commenting.

You have inspired me to get off my butt and train for a marathon. I'm scheduled for the Philly Marathon this year.

Don't let those negative people get to you! They are only reflecting their own self-loathing. Good luck in NO!

TRI TO BE FUNNY said...

I'm totally stealing "c*cky F*ckball!"

N.D. said...

I think its going to be totally hard to find balance. I'm with you! Enjoy your day!

Ms. V. said...

I think I love you.

Cocky fuckball. I just love to say it.

I love it when my family says, "You shouldn't be doing so much..." (I hear "at your age" right behind it)

Or, my mother rolling her eyes because I have to run.

However, she ran in her 40s, and she said "You know I remember running with your father, and all my troubles just melted away."...

Rock on Viv.

Nancy said...

OMG you are such a doll. My two favs were celebrating by buying in bulk and profanities -- both so me under stress. Remember the saints race I cussed through? Cuss words were all I could think of. :D

Hang in there. We're behind ya!

Yasmin said...

I don't think anybody's body is built for this.

But that's why we have a training schedule and we train. We stay focused and listen to our bodies and silence our critics.

Also, WeWa points suck when you're training this hard. That's why I stick to the now defunct core.

Mistyfied said...

hey girl how are you? hope to see you soon.

Unknown said...

You are so hilarious. This is probably the first laugh I have had in a long time. I needed that! A rare form of Tourette while yelling profanities... Got me cracking up ! I feel the same way!

J Duarte said...

41 mile! Awesome! Viv is my Hero!

Are we doing PIM?

Anonymous said...

You can totally do this! Hang in there!

C said...

Miss you. Hope you're doing well.

Christine said...

Have fun on your off day!!! Rest is what the doctor ordered :)

carla said...

I love how your family supports you.
and we support you.

RUNRUNRUNTRAINRUN and blog whenevs!