Editor in Chief note: I am also known as Vivian, which makes me feel like I am 83.
_______________________________________________________________
About twenty months ago, I was lying in bed consumed by the pain that was a result of a second back surgery in the same week. I had 2 herniated discs in my lower back (L4 & L5) that I developed from working 7 years in a warehouse, routinely lifting 100-lb boxes improperly. I struggled with the pain for years and thought I would never do anything athletic again in my life. Thanks to my wife’s inspiration and encouragement, all of that changed.
After the surgery, my physical therapist told me that I needed to lose my gut if I wanted to prevent further damage to my back. Vivian had recently started to run with a group and was like a kid in a candy store when she spoke about her running experiences. It didn’t take much to convince me to start running with her and burn some extra calories. I started slow at first; running a minute or two and then walking…I believe that all of you runners call this “…”. Soon, Vivian talked me into a 5K and believe it or not, I survived. Before long, she had me doing long runs…relatively speaking…8 miles is long to me OK! I couldn’t believe that I was actually running these distances. I played 4 years of high school football and we were all about sprints, so never before in my life had I run more than 2 consecutive miles and now after back surgery I was running 8 miles on the weekend…not to mention losing weight and feeling great. However, my back started to hurt after the long runs and my distances began to decline, as did my hope. At that time, I had already signed up for the Aramco Half-Marathon, but was wait listed and thought I would never get in and gave up hopes for running for fear of another surgery. Exactly 8 weeks before the marathon, I received an email informing me that I received a spot and had to respond within a couple of days or I would lose my bib. I decided that I would not use my back as an excuse or let it get in my way…in the words of my favorite band, Metallica, “what don’t kill you make you more strong.” I called Vivian and told her to make me a condensed training schedule for the marathon.
I started training and felt great, no issues, no pain and no problems. Then I got sick and missed a week of training…the week of my long run. Nonetheless, I bounced back after my sickness and got back into training. I ran my first 10 mile run on a treadmill because it was freezing outside and I didn’t want to risk getting a relapse of the flu. This was my longest run ever and it really sucked doing it on a treadmill, but I made it. Then I started having issues with one of my toes on my left foot, followed by major issues with my right ankle. Eventually, I ran through these issues and was pain free again. The next week, I did 10 miles in The Woodlands and loved it…my best run ever. I had tried out a new supplement, Cytomax, and it really lit a fire under me. This stuff is great and kept me moving and I don’t do a long run without it… By now, my taper started and I ran 8 miles the next weekend and 6 the following. The miles were logged and I was ready. I had lasagna with my son, Lil’ Buster on Friday, followed by seafood pasta prepared by my father-in-law on Saturday evening. Yeah, I know, a little over the edge on the carbo-loading, but it was a good excuse to eat ;) I drank way too many fluids on Saturday and paid the price during the race…see below.
Now it was time for the half-marathon. Although I had never trained at a pace under 12 minute miles, I set a goal for myself of a 02:30:00 half. Vivian dropped me off at the GRB around 6AM and I walked in, amazed by the number of people. I ran into an old schoolmate, Chandler, which I knew since Kindergarten. He was running the marathon with his sister that came in from Atlanta. It was nice to see him again. After an easy stretch and quick trip to the head, I was out the doors ready to go. Then I ran into one of Vivian’s running friends, Anna, who I met at last year’s marathon. She was with her friend Kate and we had a little small talk and photo session prior to the race. I wished them well and hit the head again…damn…I guess I was over hydrated, if that is possible. I was a little nervous because I had not yet run 13.1 consecutive miles and feared that by body would give out or my back would give me issues, but once I started running, all of those fears disappeared. The crowd was amazing and they kept me motivated, calling my name and cheering for all of the runners. Running up the first hill was a bit unexpected, but seeing the mass of runners helped get me through. The first four miles it smelt like a sewer, but it was nice to see all of the spectators in the neighborhood. I saw one house that had about 20 people outside getting an early start on their buzz…beer and champagne while cheering on the runners.
After the surgery, my physical therapist told me that I needed to lose my gut if I wanted to prevent further damage to my back. Vivian had recently started to run with a group and was like a kid in a candy store when she spoke about her running experiences. It didn’t take much to convince me to start running with her and burn some extra calories. I started slow at first; running a minute or two and then walking…I believe that all of you runners call this “…”. Soon, Vivian talked me into a 5K and believe it or not, I survived. Before long, she had me doing long runs…relatively speaking…8 miles is long to me OK! I couldn’t believe that I was actually running these distances. I played 4 years of high school football and we were all about sprints, so never before in my life had I run more than 2 consecutive miles and now after back surgery I was running 8 miles on the weekend…not to mention losing weight and feeling great. However, my back started to hurt after the long runs and my distances began to decline, as did my hope. At that time, I had already signed up for the Aramco Half-Marathon, but was wait listed and thought I would never get in and gave up hopes for running for fear of another surgery. Exactly 8 weeks before the marathon, I received an email informing me that I received a spot and had to respond within a couple of days or I would lose my bib. I decided that I would not use my back as an excuse or let it get in my way…in the words of my favorite band, Metallica, “what don’t kill you make you more strong.” I called Vivian and told her to make me a condensed training schedule for the marathon.
I started training and felt great, no issues, no pain and no problems. Then I got sick and missed a week of training…the week of my long run. Nonetheless, I bounced back after my sickness and got back into training. I ran my first 10 mile run on a treadmill because it was freezing outside and I didn’t want to risk getting a relapse of the flu. This was my longest run ever and it really sucked doing it on a treadmill, but I made it. Then I started having issues with one of my toes on my left foot, followed by major issues with my right ankle. Eventually, I ran through these issues and was pain free again. The next week, I did 10 miles in The Woodlands and loved it…my best run ever. I had tried out a new supplement, Cytomax, and it really lit a fire under me. This stuff is great and kept me moving and I don’t do a long run without it… By now, my taper started and I ran 8 miles the next weekend and 6 the following. The miles were logged and I was ready. I had lasagna with my son, Lil’ Buster on Friday, followed by seafood pasta prepared by my father-in-law on Saturday evening. Yeah, I know, a little over the edge on the carbo-loading, but it was a good excuse to eat ;) I drank way too many fluids on Saturday and paid the price during the race…see below.
Now it was time for the half-marathon. Although I had never trained at a pace under 12 minute miles, I set a goal for myself of a 02:30:00 half. Vivian dropped me off at the GRB around 6AM and I walked in, amazed by the number of people. I ran into an old schoolmate, Chandler, which I knew since Kindergarten. He was running the marathon with his sister that came in from Atlanta. It was nice to see him again. After an easy stretch and quick trip to the head, I was out the doors ready to go. Then I ran into one of Vivian’s running friends, Anna, who I met at last year’s marathon. She was with her friend Kate and we had a little small talk and photo session prior to the race. I wished them well and hit the head again…damn…I guess I was over hydrated, if that is possible. I was a little nervous because I had not yet run 13.1 consecutive miles and feared that by body would give out or my back would give me issues, but once I started running, all of those fears disappeared. The crowd was amazing and they kept me motivated, calling my name and cheering for all of the runners. Running up the first hill was a bit unexpected, but seeing the mass of runners helped get me through. The first four miles it smelt like a sewer, but it was nice to see all of the spectators in the neighborhood. I saw one house that had about 20 people outside getting an early start on their buzz…beer and champagne while cheering on the runners. The only thing I didn’t like was dodging in and out of all of the walkers and those who decided to stop directly in front of me for no reason. According to the Garmin, I logged an extra 0.25 miles from all of the zig zagg motion. Overall, I’m very pleased with the experience and the results. I’m ready for the next one and looking to drop my time by doing some real training…sprints, hills, etc. Thanks for reading and thanks to all of my family who helped me through this, especially my wife, Vivian.
#31486
SPRING, TX
Age: 31 Gender: M
2:29.47
47 comments:
CONGRATS SHANE!! What an awesome race report!! Killer job meeting your time goal too! Sweetness!
Also, CONGRATS on snagging The Mommacita. It takes a real man to wrangle in that homegirl ;-)
Congrats on your race, Shane!!!
Incredible to hear from where you began with all the back problems. You've come a long way and with Viv's support and help, I'm not surprised. She is DA BOMB.
yay Shane!!!! what a great race report...congrats on beating your goal!!!
next thing you know, you and Viv will be
running a marathon!!
Running a half marathon has to be EASY after being married to Viv! ROFLMAO!!! I slay me... OK. Not really :-)
Well done!! Congrats on getting rid of that gut and meeting your time! I did the exact same thing at the medal station at Chickamauga. I don't give a crap!! Just give me my damn medal!! LOL. Well done again!!
AWESOME!!! I'm LMAO at your comments cause I thought some of the same things. It was a great experience.
I'm waiting on the Viv and Shane 26.2 report!
Congrats Shane! Can't wait to run with you and Viv in a full.
Oh one more thing. Trail running, you have to try it.
GREAT JOB SHANE!!! Great report too! Congrats overcoming the back issues and going on to beat your goal!
Congrats Shane! Glad you had a fun time with the race and were able to finish strong!
Great Job Shane!!! Freakin' awesome time too!
I totally agree about having to weave in and out - I probably won't do Houston in the future unless they go to the multi-wave start like San Antonio. Just think, if it wasn't for that, you probably would have done a 2:15!
Wahoo!
Anna
PS -- that shirt I was wearing was WAY too big & I look huge in my pics.
Awesome job, Shane.
Nice race report! Congratulation Shane. You did a great job!! So are you going to start your own blog now?
Great report Shane! Congrats on your accomplishment!
Way to go! You and your wife BOTH inspire me!!!!
Congrats Shane! I am still hobbling after the Disney Marathon 2 weeks ago! I just started a running blog myself and actually had a news story about the 1/2 Marathon. Check it out if you're interested:
www.RunnersWrite.com
Keep up the good runs!
CONGRATS SHANE ON THE
great job on breakiing 2:30..
and it seemed like a great experience... awesome...
plus you put up with viv...thats like two gold medals.....LOL
Great job to the MR!! That's awesome!! great report!
congrats shane. that's a great time for a first half.
Congrats Shane! Awesome job with your race!
Congrats Shane! Great race report!!
Congrats on your first half, Shane!!
Awesome job on your first half, Shane!
Congratulations Shane!!!
Fantastic first half marathon! Thanks for sharing your race report with us. You and Viv make quite a team! Can't wait to see what y'all tackle next.
Great job, Shane! I can't believe everything you've had to overcome to run. It's amazing.
And Viv...Vivian is a lovely name. It was the name of Julia Roberts' character in Pretty Woman. :)
Well done Mr. Viv!
We'll see you at the full next year right?
Congrats! Great job!
Congrats! Sounds like you had a great race. Can't wait till your next race report.
Shane...Congratulations on finishing! What an accomplishment. (I can't believe you ran 10 miles on a treadmill!!!! OY!)
Yay Shane! Congrats on finishing your first half marathon and for meeting your goal time - woohoo!
Congrats Shane...what an awesome race report and an awesome race!
Oh and tell Viv that she's gonna love me for this, but I just tagged your blog for being fabulous (I'm probably not the first...but that's only because Viv is fabu, fabu!)
Great race report and congrats on the finish Shane!
Congratulations Shane!!!
Here's to sticking to your goals and making your PR.
Yo Viv...
I'm down for that FL or AZ in 2010! I need a target... and a partner in crime! What 70.3 are you going to do? I'm headed to Boise and to Oklahoma City for Redman in September.
Smitty
Yo Viv...
I'm down for that FL or AZ in 2010! I need a target... and a partner in crime! What 70.3 are you going to do? I'm headed to Boise and to Oklahoma City for Redman in September.
Smitty
CONGRATS! What a great story. Thanks for sharing all that. Now you're all ready for the next race. Go get em!
Great story! Great read, thanks! Now I'm ready to face the day! See y'all out running, eh?!
Way to go, Shane!! I finished my first half the day before yours, and I had that same potty problem. I was lined up at the start and had to go (but there were still lines of people at the porta potties, so I wouldn't have had time). It wasn't too bad until about half-way through, and then it was a constant battle- should I stop or not? Well, I didn't and still finished around my goal time of 2:15, but I seriously think I could have run 5 minutes faster if it wasn't for that.
Oh, and Viv, I laughed every time it said Vivian. I'm imagining you as a guest star on "The Golden Girls", hanging out with Blanch and Dorothy. = )
Good Job Shane! You got to do it again in 2010! :)
Keep running, it's a great sport.
I feel you. I injured myself to in a rock climbing accident. I love to workout and keep physical. but you know the story. I found a product that keeps my hunger down and cravings at bay so I dont keep gaining weight during recovery...It has been discovered that many people who are chronically overweight are silently suffering from a condition that they may not even be aware of… Leptin resistance.
This is the first product on the market to work directly on the brain to effectively address Leptin resistance.
The Leptin hormone controls the two most important factors regarding your weight. Go To http://www.GoGetThin.com
Buy [url=http://buy-cialis.icr38.net/Styplon]styplon online[/url] easy - Advantageous Price coreg online here - Colossal Price
Gather the savage with two backs casinos? endorse this advanced [url=http://www.realcazinoz.com]casino[/url] advisor and have the perception for the benefit of a hold out against up online casino games like slots, blackjack, roulette, baccarat and more at www.realcazinoz.com .
you can also horn in with our untrained [url=http://freecasinogames2010.webs.com]casino[/url] orientate at http://freecasinogames2010.webs.com and tyrannize real folding turn into !
another braggart [url=http://www.ttittancasino.com]casino spiele[/url] in the sector of is www.ttittancasino.com , in proffer german gamblers, protect over unrestrained online casino bonus.
shaded days divvy illegally unreasonable attaching identifiers inland packaged fowkes econometrica
lolikneri havaqatsu
clarecdb http://www.kindel.com/members/Slipcovers.aspx steadily http://www.kindel.com/members/Polar-Heart-Rate-Monitors.aspx joses http://www.kindel.com/members/Popcorn-Machines.aspx gover http://www.kindel.com/members/Garage-Door-Openers.aspx snowfall http://www.kindel.com/members/Area-Rugs.aspx consolidated
http://markonzo.edu It is a very good thing, ashley furniture [url=http://jguru.com/guru/viewbio.jsp?EID=1536072]ashley furniture[/url], ybwiyr, allegiant air [url=http://jguru.com/guru/viewbio.jsp?EID=1536075]allegiant air[/url], ivmbhrf, pressure washers [url=http://jguru.com/guru/viewbio.jsp?EID=1536078]pressure washers[/url], 3915, dishnetwork [url=http://jguru.com/guru/viewbio.jsp?EID=1536080]dishnetwork[/url], etfbvho, adt security [url=http://jguru.com/guru/viewbio.jsp?EID=1536076]adt security[/url], fgvav,
nUawVZjO3 No Deposit Casino X0AhJD5Ft Holland Casino kP5zlLArW Blackjack Casino Bhj2ZFbKiV Casino Slot Games uqYMj9nJS Real Casino mn0Jltad3 Free Casino Games Gx0MSTJ5h Video Poker mf5DFG27Nz Indian Casino
Post a Comment