I have had a rough past month at home. Things would happen get better then something else would happen. I would try to smile through it and stay positive but my breaking point was near. I know, I know, that is called L-I-F-E. There was just not a lot of recovery time between episodes, making it tough to handle. I know in my heart that things could be worst and unfortunately for many it is worst. I still have to work on handling tough times better but we all deal in our own way. I like a normal food addict return to my terrible habits of eating and several alcoholic beverages.
Amongst things I was going through I began to doubt the chance of doing Ironman New Orleans 70.3. Let's face it I did not have a solid "off" tri season. I was injured, healing a calf tear while everyone else was continuing their running and cross training. I had to stop cycling for 4 weeks. In addition there had been no running since Thanksgiving (8 weeks). Sure I could have used this time to improve my swimming. Well, I didn't work on improving my swim. It was easier to fall into my vicious circle of food and tons of socials with drinks. Then the reality set in.... I began to think who am I to think I have a strong enough base to pull a 1/2 Ironman out of my ass. Let's be real, it is a 1.2 mile swim, a 56 mile bike, ending it off with a 1/2 marathon. The 1/2 marathon is just the final step of this 3 discipline challenge. A stand alone 1/2 marathon is what I did not get to do in Houston a couple of weeks ago and even more like the one I will not be doing in California this weekend. There it is in writing, the reality.
Here is the thing though, I BELIEVE.
Have you really believed in something so much that in your mind you couldn't see it any other way? Have you believed so undeniably that you actually see yourself accomplishing it over and over again?
I believe it so confidently that every time I doubt myself the thought is followed up by a vision of crossing the finish line in New Orleans. I actually see myself stumbling over to get my medal with the final thought of toasting my family, friends, and teammates with a huge hurricane in my hand. That is how much I believe. There may be those that doubt including me at times, but I refuse to hesitate and not BELIEVE!
How I make it reality
Tuesday's Workout:
AM Swim total 1550 yards
PM Run 1st run since injury total 18 minutes Run 2min/ Walk 1min
40 comments:
your confidence and determination are admirable, and I also believe that we will be reading about crossing the New Orleans finish line :) Stay positive and strong... and just remember to listen to your body. :)
your attitude is so impressive! you're totally right, sometimes "L-I-F-E" just gets in the way, but you can't let it stop you. it seems that life will never make it easy for an ironman opportunity (or for me, a half-marathon), so you just have to make it work in spite of all the obstacles. good luck!
Viv- I don't know anyone who wants it more. You've got 10 weeks to put it all on the line. I keep telling myself- its going to hurt and suck for the next 10 weeks but on that day it will be more than worth it. I know you'll do it.
hang in there girl. you will make it to 70.3. I know you will.
I needed to read that! We all doubt sometimes, but it's the difference between winners & losers that makes a champion. YOU can do it! You and ME will cross that 1/2 Iron tape if we have to drag ourselves over the finish line. Cheers!
Ooooohhh Mommacita you are the shiznit! Don't forget it! (I know you won't ;-) )
You can do it! :)
I admire you and your confidence. I also wanted to let you know I believe in your success as well. I have always been a strong believer of the power of visualizing your goals. "If you can see it then you can achieve it."
Melissa
I think that belief place is key! Yay you for getting it done today and yay you for holding that image of finishing in your head and in your heart. You can do it!!
Having that belief is better than almost anything you could ask for. Add that to some solid training in the next 10 weeks and you'll be in NO, having a grand time.
You can do it, you know you can, and we all do to. Keep us posted on the training. Starting now!
You know I believe endurance sports are 95 % mental and 5% well....MENTAL!
The positivity of believing in yourself will help you over this DOUBT!
Viv,
The only person who can set limitations on you is yourself. Your first long distance race should be approached as a long training day. Don't look at it as a race at all. Your goal is only to finish and cross the line--nothing else. When you allow yourself that freedom to train rather than race, you don't feel bad when you stop at the aid stations and take a little break. All New Orleans will be there for you to do some sight seeing! Make it goal on the bike to take in the scenery and see what kind of progress the city has or has not made after the hurricane. Use the run to do a little window shopping in the French Quarter as you make your way to Jax Square. Smile as much as you can, thank all the volunteers and police and encourage other people out there with you who look like they are struggling.
So life hands you lemons...make some lemonade, lemon chiffone pie, lemon bars, those lemon cookies with the powdered sugar on them, lemon sherbert...you get the picture?
Remember the Ironman logo, "Anything is possible." Chin up girl. You are a winner and you are an inspiration to so many. Yeah, life is not always the way we would want it to be but remember that everyone has challenges to overcome. It is how you choose to overcome those challenges that you really find out what you are made of.
Hugs and we need to get together and do a bike ride.
Coach Liz
Viv, if it is anyone that can do it you can! If you think it, you can do it. I agree it is mostly mental. Hang in there! Better times are coming....they always do.
We believe in you as well!
Viv,
I believe in you too and I have no doubt in what you can do. Your belief in yourself with carry you through. I know it.
Plus, you can't pass up the opportunity for a post-race Hurricane. That just seems wrong!
Come to think of this. You can always par-tay on Boubon Street after you do the 70.3 Oh man, that's a bad advice I could give. If anyone can do it, so can you. You are tempting me to do this 70.3 I have not really given a thought. I do like CoachLiz's comment. Your confidence and attitude are quite fabulous! You can do it.
Nice post. I believe in you too. If you want it, you WILL make it happen.
Great post, Viv. Attitude is everything! BELIEVE!
Good Comments from Coachliz...
Now you have the belief as you put your trainings in motion, keep focused on your daily trainings and during those daily trainings "do the best you can at that moment",
don't get caught up in if the training is not going so well that day or what if I am not going to be ready or the clock is ticking or do I have enough time...
see belief is funny, it can put you into action but it can also put you in the front of walls or barriers ... so marry that belief with focused training on a daily basis.
and lastly get pissed off if you are about to blow off a training session--lol that's always good too :-)
Rock on my friend you will be ready!! I BELIEVE IN YOU!!
I believe in you Viv - you are hardest on yourself honey.
You are inspiring!
I love your attitude Viv. You can accomplish any goal as long as you believe you can.
Viv, the only thing that matters is that you believe you can do it! We all KNOW you can! :-) You're my hero!
I think a lot of our limitations are in our mind and if we could get rid of them we'd be able to do so much more. Regardless of what has happened in the past, every day is a new day, a new chance to make a change and make things happen. Believe in yourself, Viv. That's all that matters.
I believe in you, Viv! I love that you visualize yourself crossing the finish line - I do that as well and always with a smile on my face :)
I love your attitude! Way to go!
amen sister! I believe more than half the battle in these races we run is mental. I say to myself during every run now "I am a Boston Qualifier" and you know what I believe it...it's going to happen, but only because I believe it
"If you can imagine it you can achieve it; If you can dream it you can become it."
Good luck Viv... it'll all happen... and when you cross that finish line you will experience the biggest rush of your life thus far!
I believe in you too. I've got your back, babe! You can so do this.
You are AMAZING!!
If you can see it, believe it! Keep the visualisations Viv, we are your cheering squad!
"Before you can accomplish it, you must expect it from yourself"
Viv- A lot of this is psychological, so if you BELIEVE you can do it, then you absolutely can! I know you can!
Ahhh, chica, if you can get me talk, I almost always talk to much. You know what? I dun care! It's about me and how I live :-)
70.3 IS a long way, but you've already done an Olympic swim, and truly, that's the hardest part. Keep your head down. Keep training, and in the end, it will just be a thang you did one Saturday morning :-D
A year ago, did you BELIEVE, heck could you IMAGINE doing all that you've done??
Look at how unBELIEVEably far you've come!
Did you BELIEVE you'd ever do a 1/2 marahton?
Did you BELIEVE you'd ever do a triathlon at all?
Did you BELIEVE you'd be asking for a smaller size at the Gap?
You've been doing all kinds of amazing things & I BELIEVE you've got a lot more in your future!
I think you have the right attitudue. You CAN do it! Thanks for the post, you really are inspiring.
A big part of racing is the mental aspect Viv, and you have it down! I believe that you can do it to my friend.
I liked your first line about sharing too much and then not hearing back from someone. This has really made me see who my friends are. Believing - you know that you can do it and WILL do it. That is how I feel about Boston. I feel like we cannot fail if we know that we can and will do it.
I believe in you Viv!! I believe you will pull it all together and finish strong. The mind I believe is the hardest part to overcome. You will succeed in New Orleans!
Awesome VIV!
Everything revolves around are attitude and mind. If you can you Will!!!!
It's okay to talk about life. We all go through the same things you go through. Can you imagine if the only thing we talked about on these blogs was stats. Not very fun. You are who you are, we are who we are. Living out the finer points in our life's make it not worth it!
oops "leaving" not "living"..at the end of the comment..
Great post Viv.
Dang woman, this is powerful stuff. I think your belief and your vision are just as important as the training. Just keep picturing yourself crossing that finish line, and it will happen. I believe in you!!
You are one tough chica, and you can do it!!
Post a Comment