Monday, August 25, 2008

Living Dead Girl Saves "Get Out of Jail Free Card"

Hope everyone enjoyed their weekend! I wanted to thank everyone for the insight on nutrition. I got some great advice in the comments and by email. This week I will be implementing multi small 200-300 calorie meals through out the day. I bought light vanilla soy milk and fresh organic berries to bring smoothies into the mix. I still can't believe that Viv has those reusable grocery bags, does yoga, buys soy milk, and organic fruit?!? (talking in the 3rd person is totally Suede's fault from Project Runway )

This weekend was tough on the training front. On, Saturday I had a 40 mile ride with some of my strive team mates, whom I adore. It was my longest ride ever...I have an expiration date after tough workouts. I am good for about 4 hours after the shower and then crash and burn, baby. Shane said, I moaned myself to sleep that night.

On Sunday, another early wake up call for a 9 mile run. The first 6 miles were at Z2 with the last 3 miles at tempo. I made it back to the house in time to grab more G2 & GU and head out to teach a 9AM SPIN class.

I had a 1900 swim on the schedule as well. However, I was pretty much dead while breathing if that is possible. I put in the training database to my Coach that I was skipping the swim. I was well into my 4 hour expiration time moaning and groaning on the couch when I got an email on the BlackBerry from my Coach. (dayum BlackBerry) I will post some of it, since anything you say or send me may and will be used against you on the blog. just kidding
Hey Viv,
OK...will give this a pass...but only b/c you have these extra spin classes to teach...otherwise, because it is a swim...I would NORMALLY encourage you to get in the water.If after 15 minutes you still feel like crap then stop the workout. If you feel OK after 15 minutes, I'd have you keep going for the yardage but hold back on intensity. Sometimes we feel like crap but once we get going we actually feel better. My best swims typically follow a long run for me. I don't feel like always going and I never know what to expect (some days are BAD!).
But, for this time...because of the extra spin classes-don't worry about the swim. Next time, though...just get in the water. Try it. If after 15 minutes you still feel tired, then get out.
After an email like that what is one to do??? I get my living dead girl self off the couch and head to the pool. The first 20 minutes were tough, but I did a 1700 swim. Times like that in my mind is what defines an athlete. The times when you are faced with the decision to do or not to do, and you do. That is a lot of do's, reminds of that song by
The Police, "do, doo, do, ahh, dah, dah, dah"
. I am probably a little delirious now, but you know what I mean though.
So, thanks Coach but I will save that "get out of jail free card" for when I really need it. Like, being rolled on a stretcher kind of situation.

To the best tri sis any girl could have!!

24 comments:

Timmy said...

LOL I love the graphic of the guy on the stretcher.

So you're using reusable grocery bags, doing yoga, drinking soy milk and eating organic fruit. Have you started hugging trees? (just kidding)

TX Runner Mom said...

Great job on those workouts! I am tired just reading it. Oh, by the way, I too am using the grocery bags...I dunno if I'll every do the soy milk thing though!

Wes said...

40 miles will soon be nuthin for ya. I do admit that your hang time is much better than mine :-)

Unknown said...

Great job on the workouts! Especially getting of the duff for that swim. Kudos!

Jess said...

Wow Viv those are some awesome workouts! Nice job!

The Young Family said...

Cery impressive you got off the couch and went to the pool!

You've got some seious workouts going on!

Em

J~Mom said...

GEESHHHHHHHHH Viv girl you are rocking this tri stuff!! That is awesome that you went and got your swimming in after all of that! YOU ROCK!

Runner Susan said...

if it involves swimming, i'd of stayed on the couch.

E said...

You are so hardcore!

Marcy said...

So that means all that pron I send to you will be posted up here? :P

Dayum girl, you're totally rockin with those workouts!

Nitmos said...

You sure are dedicated. After a 9 mile or higher run, I usually consume lots of potato chips rather than go teach a spin class. Bully for you!

N.D. said...

Great job - you're right, times like those do define an athlete. And its great to have someone pushing you too! Way to go!

Jess said...

After that email, I too would've sucked it up and gone. Hey, that's why you have a coach, right?

Anonymous said...

Congrats on a big weekend - I must say that email is kinda like a "guilt trip", but it worked huh! Might need to try that one. It's a good tip, as I always want to bag my swim on hard days. Will be trying that from now on.

CoachLiz said...

Trust me, I have had those training days. Most times I feel much better after getting the workout done. I only try to skip out on workouts if it is family stuff and my presence would be greatly appreciated. Other than that, I make myself get out there and do it unless I am bleeding, vomiting, or coughing up green junk. Since that rarely happens, I am working out.

Hang in there sweetie! You are a winner!!!

Chellie has Issues said...

Wow hardcore coach. I could never be a coach because once I heard all that you worked out, I would have said to go home and have a nice rest! :)

Bob - BlogMYruns.com said...

Good Job on ur workouts Viv... and love the pic...GO GO GO !! !

Kevin said...

Those are some great workouts. I dont think my butt would have made it off the couch

Tammy said...

Great job on the workouts, Viv!

Anonymous said...

OH my god! I am sore just reading that!

Carly said...

Nice job on all the workouts. I wish I had half your energy Viv!

Aka Alice said...

OMFG...I'm exhausted just reading about your weekend. I ran 4 miles, had a mimosa and was useless for the rest of the day...

Tiggs said...

next thing you know you will have traded in that SUV for a Prius.

That's what having a coach is all about. I'm glad you went to the pool!!

Mendy said...

If I would have received one of those emails, I would have sucked it up too. You did GREAT, Viv! Keep up the hard work girl. I can't get over you and Lisa putting in the distance on the bike. I so need a training partner that goes my speed (and some flat land around here) to ride with. Way to go!!!!