Tuesday, May 12, 2009

I Need A Fast Car To Get Back On The Wagon I Jumped Off Of!

When I saw this cover at the grocery store it bit me in the ass! No, not the Elizabeth Edwards, my cheating husband drama? If it was that you would be seeing my crazy ass on that cuckoo bird, Nancy Grace's show for having Shane's balls dipped in fur and using them as rear view mirror decor. LOL! It was the Kirstie Alley article (if you can call things in People articles). There she was stating how she had fallen off the wagon(I refer to the wagon as a healthy way of living & eating). There are a few things I don't agree with Alley states in the article. For one she is planning this whole new "plan" that is top secret to help people lose weight. Listen hun, pretty much there is no secret fabu fountain of weight loss that you have tapped in to. Secondly she says, " If I spent as much time working out as I do worrying about being fat, I would be fabulously built." Umm, hello I can't give her that either. I was spending countless hours, miles, gallons o' sweat working out but the weight on the scale kept mounting. For me, this is FOR ME it equates to about 85% what I eat and about 15% exercise. Not that I condone exercise, the complete opposite. Just for me there is more to my weight loss equation then working out.

I too like Kirstie had fallen off the wagon big time! Really I have been jumping on and off the wagon pretty much since August 2008. Wow! That really just got me typing it. I can not believe I have allowed myself to be on and off the wagon for 9 months! UGH! It really disgusts me and I am so ashamed of it. Obviously by the gain it has been mostly off the wagon the last 9 months! I am in the fitness industry to top it off. It bothers me walking in to a class and possibly being the biggest in the class. I was doing so well on Weight Watchers. I followed it hardcore. Sure, I still allowed myself small splurges as more weight came off and as long as it kept within my points system. One of the down turns, I started developing the mentality of I work out this much I should be able to eat this much! Well, that theory does not work for me!

I was born a fat girl, really. LOL! It runs in my family too. Seriously, I have seen my parents up and down the scale my whole life.

exhibit 1 fat



exhibit 2 thin
by the way they are looking hella a good at the present time

I am also guilty of being up and down the scale in large numbers. When you reach the down side of the scale there is always this promise of, "I will never be that fucking fat again!" Unfortunately for a lot of people that struggle with weight it becomes a promise we soon forget....

down
by the way did I think there was going to be a scrunchie shortage??


up

down

up
down
up

I can also tell you the countless methods I used to get "down". There was the smoking,starving, drinking straight Bacardi limon on ice diet. The exercise of course came from dancing in da' club. The Quick Weight Loss Center diet, where pretty much everything was off limits. My meals then consisted of 4-6 cups of lettuce with a 6oz chicken no dressing and of course no salt. During that diet, I felt weak and did not have motivation to exercise. The LA Weight Loss diet, which was a looser version of QWLC diet. Then of course the countless times I would "try" unsuccessfully on my own. I would be all gung ho, going to the gym eating right then have a slip up and crucify myself, which would lead to a bigger downward spiral. Then my most drastic and biggest mistake, vertical banded gastroplasty. Yep, what people call stomach stapling. To all these methods I am not saying they are wrong and do not work for anyone. For some people they find long lasting success with no complications. For me these methods did not work. Each time I had a few set backs the weight would come back and would always settle to 10lbs above of where I started.
Here I am now having a set back while on Weight Watchers. OK a big set back I have managed to put back on 51lbs since August 2008. At one point that side bar read 91lbs dropped! Whoa, that really sucks the big one! I was 30lbs to goal,UGH! Can you believe I never stopped paying for the online Weight Watchers service?? I guess to cancel the service would be a bold face way of me stating I was done with it. The good news I am not all the way back to where I started. The better news is that I am willing to dust myself off and get back up, well down. hehehe! Time to change the side bar pounds dropped and work my way back down from there.

May 2008 38lbs from goal and in matchy matchy running shorts that do not fit this summer

The plan:
I have been back on Weight Watchers hardcore since Friday, May 8. I had a friend willing to go to meetings with me. Not that I expected the meetings to be a sort of "come to Jesus" meeting. I just know that I lacked some of the will power I had when I started doing the program on my own online back in June 2007. I needed that accountability the meetings provide. Sometimes you also need somewhere you can speak out loud of what you are going through with out driving people in your life insane. The more you surround yourself with what you are trying to achieve the more you can competently conquer it.

I am no expert on nutrition, exercise, diet, surgeries but have had my own struggles. If you ever have a questions and think my experience can help or you just want someone to talk about it with e-mail me. I don't bite unless you catch me between 7P-9P, during those hours I would bite and chew almost anything :-)

I have been told I am an inspiration by some, but to me I am just a real person that deals with their own battles. My battle is my weight and this is part of my life. I have no shame in putting it out there. There will be ups and downs, no doubt. It is about staying on the journey which is constantly seeking my well being, physically and mentally.

49 comments:

Al's CL Reviews said...

I too have been paying WeWa...since 2005 online, since 1997 for meetings. Ugh!

We'll get there!

Nicole said...

Your back! Bring blogging back.. maybe it will help! :) Blog about your progress and your friends will praise your hard work, making you WANT to keep going.

Life throws you curve balls and sometimes you can't help certain situations. Keep your chin high girl, your an IRONMAN 70.3!

Marcy said...

ITA with you on the Kirstie Alley thang. Did you see her crazy butt on Oprah? She was claiming losing some ridic amount of weight in one month from her "new plan". Oprah was all like "Ummmm you lost THAT much weight in 1 month?" with the youmustbefullofBS or youstraightmustbedoingsomewackshit look.

I'm not much for advice but I give you so much credit for putting it out there, chica. I can only imagine how hard this battle has been.

Holly said...

I hear ya girl! Food has been too much of a friend to me lately and I've shown little to no self-contril. Pair that behavior with lack of running and I find myself WAY off that wagon as well. Sigh.

Good luck with your renewed WW and fitness efforts! I need to attack WW hardore and get back to running (though I fear I'll be starting back at square one).

Let's work on this together!

Lauren said...

I'm also on the WeWa bandwagon starting yesterday! I have been paying for the meetings and not going because I think I'm above my original starting weight! Yikes!

My problems is always food. They say you're supposed to figure out why you're eating. My answer is always, "Duh. It tastes good." We'll figure it out one of these days...

timmy said...

I can so relate. I have had more weight fluctuations than Oprah! Hang in there chica! You'll always be my hero.

Anonymous said...

You know I am right there with you in this!!!! I could have written it! Email me anytime you want support or want to swap war stories!

_Lisa JMom

Tiggs said...

You go girl!!!!

Anonymous said...

I think We Wa is a great program. I have so many friends and family that have been successful with it, even when they reach their goal and maintain. We're all here behind ya girlie!!!!!

I LOVE the old pics too. SO fun to dig those up. What was with the scrunchies??? eeks.

POM - I tried to sign in and it won't let me.

Sarah said...

Ouch!! It's so hard! Good job on not giving up!!

teacherwoman said...

Wow! I was surprised to see you back in blogland! Great post Viv... keep posting your progress. Believe it or not, you are an inspiration and motivation to many on so many different levels!

Anonymous said...

I think the biggest thing with weight loss is knowing what works for you. Viv, you lost the weight before, you know what you need to do, you know what works. I have no doubt you will achieve your goals. Your wedding picture is beautiful, your dress is so pretty.

Calyx Meredith said...

Oh Viv - GREAT post! Good luck catching the wagon but it sounds like you've made the internal commitment that is the biggest piece. (And - I feel like I've been posting this everywhere but Martha Beck's book The Four Day Win has been amazingly helpful. She's wicked funny and teaches you how your mental game either helps or sabotages your food/health plans.) Thanks for sharing your journey - it is inspiring because you are so real.

Unknown said...

Ii'm happy to see you blogging again.

Thanks for sharing your story and your struggles. We all have our own battles.

Best wishes as you continue on your journey

Jess said...

Hey Viv, I'm glad you're back. This post definitely struck a cord because I followed a similar up, down pattern in college too. Not fun, but I know you can do it this time.

RunToTheFinish said...

welcome back viv!!! I hope you can find something that truly works for you this time. For me..I won't lie it was about making tiny baby steps and losing the weight over years not months...but that's kept it from coming back.

you can do it and you know we're here full of support and ideas!

Wes said...

Being honest with yourself is a major victory... Eating is one of the simple pleasures of life. It is HARD, but you got this :-)

chia said...

The roomie and i were in line at 7-11 when I saw that cover...

Me: "Wow, Kirstie Alley looks like she swallowed a bloated manatee"

Store Clerk: "It's that Scientology shit man.... done straight shrink a brotha and bloat the hell out of a white woman."

Austin is so fricken weird.

Much love Viv, you know you're always an inspiration to me :-).

Anonymous said...

Viv, I identified with so much of this post! Even though I have never been more than about 40 lbs overweight, I struggle daily with my weight and what I eat. In fact, I just decided to "start over" today after being somewhat off the wagon since the Houston 1/2 in January. Fortunately, I didn't do too much damage since then. Anyway, just wanted you to know that I think ur awesome and you CAN do this. You've accomplished so much in the past couple of years and you have many more successes coming your way!

Christy
(blogger won't let me log in for some reason! Grrrr)

Shannon said...

I love you and can't wait to get in your grille and tell you how beautiful you are!

WSSC~next year fo sho!

Jess said...

Viv! I'm glad you're back!

I can't really relate to your struggle, but I have always loved how candid you are about expressing everything, and I admire your hard work and dedication in all that you endeavor to do, so I know this will be a success for you! Hope you're back for really reals.

Mistyfied said...

You just flat out rock! Kristy Alley will always be a crackhead!

Unknown said...

Viv!

Okay, it takes a lot to come back here and say all the things you've said...and to emphasize it with pictures. There's a part of blogging that sort of makes you want to be the make-believe person you always want to be. THANK YOU for being honest.

And truthly, thank you for a kick in the butt. I know I needed it.

I'm excited for you to be back on Weight Watchers. You'll do great (again!) And we'll all be here to support you.

I know for me, it's a constant battle with food/exercise and it always will be. Knowing that sort of helps you see the long road ahead.

Good Luck, chica!

Yasmin said...

Viv, I think you look awesome now and will be even awesomer (yes it's a word, I say so) when you do what you want to do.

I too have been on again off again. I'm here for ya!

Natalie D said...

you have a plan, you'll get back on! you can do it! keep that cover around your house!

Aka Alice said...

Really? Bacardi Limon on ice diet? I don't think I've ever been on that one...did it work?

JK...Seriously though...the whole weight loss thing is hard, really hard. I thought when I started running that the lbs would just melt away (not so much). Your 85/15 ratio sounds about right to me.

Hang in there.

Nitmos said...

I believe jumping on and off the wagon - whatever wagon that may be - qualifies as interval training.

Keep on rockin!

Robin said...

The fact that you are a real person with real struggles, yet accomplish amazing things, is what makes you an inspiration.

Some people quit the fight. You keep swinging. That's why you're a supahstah my friend!

Tammy said...

When I first started running, it did melt the pounds off (and I wasn't even trying). This time around, not so much. I'm still up 40lbs too.

Hang in there, Viv.
Good luck to you this time around.

Badgergirl said...

I know where you're coming from Viv. I used WW, dropped 50 pounds and kept it off for almost three years. Then I got sick, went on a nasty medicine and now find myself struggling to take off the 30 pounds I gained.

And while it's hard, there is no doubt in my mind you'll succeed. Because you've got the determination you need to do it. Hang in there Viv!

ShirleyPerly said...

Having been a fitness instructor and seen many students not lose weight despite exercising regularly and vigorously, I've always thought that for some people, diet is the real key to losing weight, not so much exercise. Glad you know what it is for you so you can focus on it. I love your honesty in this post and it's obvious that many people can totally relate. Real people are more inspiring than people like Jillian Michaels, I think.

Anonymous said...

ME TOO!

I hate the fact that I coach and yet I am over weight. I'm about to do a personal training course and I feel like a fraud! I look at the pics of myself when I did Ironman and I want to go back! I swore then I would NOT go back, and I have (like you, not all the way back, but back all the same).

Sometimes I just want to kick myself, other times I just eat because it seems like an obvious way to make me feel better. It's a vicious cycle that is doing my head in right now and I can't seem to step out of it.

Sometimes I wonder if I am doing all this coaching and personal training stuff as a way to stop me from going all the way back. Is it my back stop? Am I doing this to make sure I don't completely sabotage myself? Am I doing this to try and stop the guilt? How can I tell people what to do and eat when I am out there hurting myself? It's all just abit much for me these days..... as it obviously has been for you.

You're not alone, in fact I wished we lived near each other. I need someone like you around. Someone who just "gets it".

Anonymous said...

WTF! Are those yellow shoes?! I know it was the early 90's, but come on... ;)

Great, great post! I think that the majority of us go up and down the scale. (those that retain their high school weights are freaks of nature in my not so humble opinion)

Oh and I get to be the first one to take your next (and final) "down" picture! :)

Viv said...

Thanks Kari for going to AA oops I mean WeWa meetings with me. Girl those shoes were timberland they were da' bomb everyone had to look like we were ready to go hiking at any second, LOL!

Run For Life said...

Thanks for sharing your story. Good luck, I know you can do it! :)

E said...

You will always inspire me! :)

Anonymous said...

you are a total inspiration and it is this post that motivated me to rejoin (yet again) WW (as we say here in Blighty).

Girl with a Problem said...

You are not alone. I was so depressed about gaining 16 pounds that I did the only thing that makes sense - I put on another 17. OMG am I an idiot or what?

Anyway, I started WW online last Tuesday. I lost 3 pounds this week - which is good, but would have been better if I could have controlled myself more over the 3 day weekend.

I started back running (well it's sort of a running motion, but not so much a running speed) and have worked back up to running 20 minutes 2x with a minute in between. I had been up to 3 mi in Sept of last year.

I'm picking myself up, dusting off, and starting over. So I can relate to the way you are feeling.

We should buddy up. I could use someone to kick my butt when I try to give up.

TRI TO BE FUNNY said...

...and this post is exactly why you are f*cking awesome!!

triguyjt said...

good luck viv!!!!
you keep it real..and you are inspiring people.....
don't beat up yourself...

Anonymous said...

Where'd you go???????????

Sarah said...

Oh man, I feel ya. I would have thought training for a half ironman last fall would have helped me get all skinny. Nada. I gained 15 after the race. WTF??!! So this time around, I'm focusing on the food. The workouts are similar, but I've got to change what I'm eating. Totally with ya!

Lauren @ Team Giles said...

Go you! Taking charge of your life is great, and its OK if you feel you have to "start over" sometimes... Sometimes I feel like that all the time. But I choose to always keep pushing on. :)

Great blog by the way

Lily on the Road said...

VivOlicious, that is why we all *heart* you.

You are real and we love you for it. Thanks for sharing...we will be there for you too if you need to vent, chew us up & spit us out or just scream your face off!

Hang tough! Welcome back to blogland...

The Lazy Triathlete said...

You don't really need a fast car. Just a consistant one.

C said...

I'm so effin late to the damn party that I'm just going to email you directly.

Holla!

chris mcpeake said...

Keep it up. You can do it

Rapid weight loss diet said...

Good job

Anonymous said...

Keep up the good work. I envy you in that you seem to stay the course and never veer off. I'm starting my first 5K called Best of the Boardrooms 5K. This will be my first competitive run ever so I hope that I have the strength of you to keep it up.

Good luck